Owning a New Sedan After Learning the Driving

Thread Starter #31
Why not elaborate a bit of them all? This will prove helpful to many new drivers.
I think we should open a new thread for Defensive Driver Training to have the best benefit of new drivers. It is one of my long pending thread which I want to do it.

I'm not able to make it due to my work. I want to bring the best DDT. Trying for Best making me worst.

I think we should open a new thread for Defensive Driver Training to have the best benefit of new drivers. It is one of my long pending thread which I want to do it.

I'm not able to make it due to my work. I want to bring the best DDT. Trying for Best making me worst.
Why not do it as soon as possible. We'd love to listen the experience of others as well as sharing ours. In my opinion, it takes at least 25k kms to make a well experienced driver, before that it's all learning form the experience of self as well as others. Around 7 years back, when I started to drive, I had a far worse record than yours is. Although I am still an accident prone guy:stupid:, but now the state is really much better than before.

As I read here, some senior TAI'ger mentioned that a user need to at least 2500 km to drive to gather some proper experience.

Here I'm sound :stupid: but which one is true is it 2500km or 250000 km ?

As I read here, some senior TAI'ger mentioned that a user need to at least 2500 km to drive to gather some proper experience.
Where is that 'senior' TAI'ger? I mean who is 'senior' here?[thinking]
Here I'm sound :stupid: but which one is true is it 2500km or 250000 km ?
I am 10 times :stupid: then as it was 25k or 25000 kilometers. That's my number, no hard and fast rule. Some do it very well with only 1000 kilometers of experience.

The each day the car taken to road,one learns something. But there is no confusion over the fact that the city driving is not all enjoyable. Remaining always tense and alert to press/release clutch, shift gear is tiresome job. In Kolkata everybody takes the right of the road,no rule is observed. The fast roads of Rajarhat is filled with cycles and cycle vans. One of my hired driver said 60km driving is enough for learning. At MDS it is around 150 km.Now it is up to me to decide the actual Km. But I must say driving with trainer beside and driving alone has wide difference.

Some do it very well with only 1000 kilometers of experience.
Rightly said by TSIVipul, there is no hard and fast rule for numbers in KMS. Also completely agreed with Sidd7hartha, you will always learn something new each time when you take out your car.

When you come back at home after driving your car sit calmly for some time and analyse what you have learned, what you have done right and what is that which have gone wrong.

I remebered when I took out my new car at 11.00 in night for first time and while returning back i somehow oversteered it while entering my society gate and due to slow speed it stopped by few inches on side from railings, i have learned proper lesson and now not only my society gate but anywhere (in tigght spots) i can steer it correctly, this is what i learned from that day one incidence.

Last edited:
Learning is an evergrowing experience. Be it anything.
What really matters is the rate of learning[:)]
Yeah, as far as driving is concerned, we always learn something on a frequent basis.

Thread Starter #41
[thumbsdown]
That's slower by the Honda City standards. Anything below 150 is slower indeed.[anger]
It may be a City standard. But my stand don't cross 120 KMPH. Most people reduces the speeds based on the traffic. If you an empty road, you are tempted to to do more.

Unfortunately, I have seen a Honda City front fully damaged. (luckily no one was injured majorly). Reason: Front tyre burst and collided with opposite oncoming vehicle at ECR Road from Chennai to Pondicherry.

So you can challenge City standard, I don't want to do. (I think I'm a responsible driver after going thru Defensive Driver Training)

TAI does not encourage rash driving, but I presume official speed limit at Hyd ORR was 120 few years back. Is it still same ?
Even I don't encourage rash driving. This is to test the my capability to what Extend I can drive by respecting fellow drivers & my passengers.

I have seen speed limit boards as 80. Not any triple digits.

Thread Starter #42
Just 3 months old.

If you see the beginning of this thread, you will understand the my learning graph.

3 months back I was slightly feared to cross the important signals in Pondicherry. But I could be able to drive in most of the busiest lanes of Pondicherry.

Pondicherry Anna Salai, JN Street, ECR Road to Chennai, Pondy to Cuddalore Road drove all the area without fear and felt happy.
****************************************************************************************************************************************
My drive to Pondicherry from Hyderabad

I started the journey in afternoon and reached Pondicherry in the early morning by 4:00AM by covering some sight seeing places on the way. for more details visit the below thread.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/travel-itinerary/18560-hyderabad-pondicherry.html

This particular drives combines
1. Day driving in City & Ring Road
2. Day driving in State & National Highways
3. Day driving in Hilly & Ghat section
4. Night driving in Village single land road
5. Off-roading in village for 10KMs in Night thru grave yard, farm fields.
6. National Highway driving with speed of 100KMPH to 120 KMPH in night.

Total KM driven at a stretch of 930KM

Thanks to all who wrote in the threads in Highway driving, Night driving, Hilly driving in TAI & T-BHP.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #43
My First Accident Experience [cry]

Explained clearly in my ownership thread. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/17969-vasantha-ashtra-honda-city-i-dtec-2014-golden-brown-7.html#post414675

When accident has happened, as usual got on the road started quarreling with guy out of frustration. After some time started compromising because, it was not a mistake of both of the vehicle.

Called the RSA waited for 3 hours. Taken car to ASS. And given it repair thru Insurance (Zero Dep) which is saved load on my pocket. Frequent visit to ASS to know the condition of progress and finally took the delivery.

However careful we are in driving, autodrivers and transport bus drivers ( Who learnt the art of driving not in a step wise manner ) can put us into trouble.Most of them won't show indicator signals while turning that can cause dents to our cars.

To my friends who have ORVMS with autofold option,if you are going in neck to neck traffic(traffic in all corners),please flod in your ORVMS,till you are sure that you have sufficient space in sides. In neck to neck traffic ,either keep to left or to extreme right ( If one is confident that he can manage a constant speed in right wing of road).

Thread Starter #45
Recently completed my long drive from Bangalore to Ooty. I used the famous 36 hair pin bend road for uphill and used the Pykara for the downhill drive in my sedan.

Initially decided to not to take the 36 hairpin bend road, but later did the journey easily.

Top Bottom