Owning a New Sedan After Learning the Driving

Me too is waiting for licence, I drive amaze with LL and till date has driven upto 1000 kms, I am getting confident day by day, I think slow driving and driving with traffic is the key, i dont drive through a tight gap if i am not confident ignoring the honking from behind, it is better to lose some time than to scratch others car or mine.

Thread Starter #17
Yesterday I drove to one of the mall in Hyderabad. My bad or good luck I had to park my City (Ashtra) in 3rd cellar. Parking was straight. So No issues. While coming back, I had to cross 3 ramps in the mall.

Before climbing the 1st ramp, I switched on the hazard lamp to warn my followers. I have taken enough time and gap before climbing the ramp. But no person to guide the vehicle in 3rd cellar. So I climbed the ramp with 2nd gear. When I reached the end of the ramp while climbing, a Dzire which was going suddenly stopped before fully clear the ramp way [shock] (may be traffic), I'm scared of braking in the ramp (because scared of going back when I re-start with 1st gear) so I taken to the left and cleared the ramp without dashing with Dzire. But suddenly a staff crossed when I take to left, luckily he moved a fast without observing my vehicle. Totally scared [sad] and taken 2 mins rest before climbing the next ramp.

In next ramp, a guiding & controlling staff is helping the vehicles to clear the ramp. I cleared the ramp easily. The 3rd one is nice one.

3rd is turn to right to take the ramp, in the middle of the ramp need to turn to left and exit is left turn. Actually I little bit scared of this ramp, but I cleared the very smooth like butter.

How to tackle this ramp issue in future? Any suggestions

Hay buddy i know you are very good and sincere driver. You need some more practice to get full confidence. Take your car to a open and wide empty area and practice . Stop your car release clutch and press accelerate. Repeat it several times. This way you will know the clutch setting where it starts to move the car and accelerator response of your car. when you get use to that you will get the confidence to drive on ramps etc.

Thread Starter #20
The last 2 days, I have to drive in heavy bumper to bumper traffic for almost 40 KMS on total travel length of 60KMs in Hyderabad and Secunderabad. I could not go above 3rd gear. Hardly used 4th gear.

I have never seen worst culture in roads by every one. I have seen almost 6 States and no of cities. Now 8 months were passed for me in hyderabad, still I'm trying to guess their road usage culture. No offense to any one.

Finally I learned to drive with one hand, using the other hand for changing the gears. Thanks Hyderabad and Secunderabad.

1.jpg

1. I have given enough gap between the vehicle, auto driver wanted to go in the gap in signal, suddenly signal turned GREEN I just started moving, finally auto driver scrapped.

2. Next day I don't want to give a gap, but still a motorist scratched. I don't know how to drive in this city. [frustration]

I just started observing the left side of the car. Most of the car is having scratch in left side. I 'm clueless what is happening here?:mad:

jettasam

Suspended
Yes Gandhi, Hyderabadi traffic is a real problem but we can drive through it if we drive carefully. You just have a big back to concetrste about and nothing.

P.S. Till now, i didnot drive a hatchback and i started learning myself y driving an amby.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
Recently I learnt the LMV Driving and took the Licence as a part of the learning process through a decent Driving School. I learnt driving in a Ritz.
How is your driving experience with Ritz? What differences you feel while driving your Honda City against Ritz? How are the foot controls? I made some scratches in my Ritz while parking in a small place. Did you heard of some scratch removing creams that removes them? I too learned in Ritz and have one. I learnt driving after purchasing the car. I am doing well in bumper to bumper traffic in Kolkata. But not yet tried any long journey. I am happy, though I learnt driving in this car I didn't hit anything except getting scratch on bumper while parking in my housing.[:D]

Thread Starter #24
How is your driving experience with Ritz? What differences you feel while driving your Honda City against Ritz? How are the foot controls? I made some scratches in my Ritz while parking in a small place. Did you heard of some scratch removing creams that removes them? I too learned in Ritz and have one. I learnt driving after purchasing the car. I am doing well in bumper to bumper traffic in Kolkata. But not yet tried any long journey. I am happy, though I learnt driving in this car I didn't hit anything except getting scratch on bumper while parking in my housing.[:D]
I learnt the driving mostly 2013 Ritz (last quarter).

Honda City steering is very easy to control, Ritz steering is stiff. IMO City has better foot controls than Ritz. Scratches in the start of driving will be happening. Don't worry much about the scratch rather need to learn in terms of how to avoid in future. I've not searched about scratch removing materials, as I touch-up with paint during service.

I had a work in the center of Hyderabad city so I need to drive in bumper to bumper condition for about 50 KMS. Continuously I had driven for 3 days. The 2nd day I drove the City with single hand in steering and LH in gear rod.

Drive with confidence, you will overcome all issues in Highway or Hilly terrain.

Happy & safe motoring

Thread Starter #25
Thought to drive a long drive on without defined destination. Expected a relaxed enjoyable driving. So I selected the Hyderabad ORR.

Yesterday I just touched the 3 digit speed for the first time in Hyderabad ORR for the length of around 120 KMs. It was good long evening drive. My Ashtra (Honda City) was piercing thru the wind. Myself & my Ashtra is capable enough to touch 3 digit speeds. If I get any safe circumstances, will test again our capabilities and skills.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #27
hi friend! glad to know that your driving skills are improving day by day. Hope you are comfortable now while climbing on ramp.
Yes Friend. Now a days ramps are not bothering me. I'm glad on my performances. I do like hilly driving to excel my skills.

Last edited:
@Gandhi:
Read this thread full and I must say that your experience from learning to driving on hills is worth a read. BTW, your City looks fantastic up front, and those headlights do look killer.

What is your experience on ramps, in case you are forced to stop in the midst of a ramp? This is one of the trickiest things in my knowledge, especially if your car is loaded with 5 passengers and A/C is on. The situation even worsens with petrol cars.

I remember an incident in which a brand new petrol DZire lost its breath on the ramp in a mall with my Innova following it close. The driver kept on trying by every way but wasn't able to move his car ahead. Finally his car did strike mine while coming back and then I went on to ask whats the issue. He looked a bit ashamed and simply admitted that he is new to driving and will be happy if I make his car climb and I rejected. Instead I taught him the technique and he made the car climb the ramp in second attempt itself with all passengers inside and a/c on. At the end, he simply parked his car and waved his hand thanking me.

It's all about driving safe by keeping the speed, lane, visibility, etc. Lots of materials available in Google both Indian & international levels. Some of the techniques...
1. 3 second rule.
2. Speed Vs Distance
3. Reaction Time of Driver
4. Reaction Time Vs Danger Levels
5. Inspection of your vehicles (which is basic)
6. Don't Drink & Drive,
7. Don't Use mobile phone while driving
8. Phele AAP.

If anybody wants more. I'm ready to share.
Why not elaborate a bit of them all? This will prove helpful to many new drivers.

Last edited:
@Gandhi:
Instead I taught him the technique and he made the car climb the ramp in second attempt itself with all passengers inside and a/c on. At the end, he simply parked his car and waved his hand thanking me.
Is it possible for you to share the technique here, If yes please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

P.S: - I'm newbie too and my 4 wheeler driving experience less than a year and I encountered couple of uphill/incline situation (Flyover crawling & stop) and simply get away without any issue because the Diesel Engine & only two or three passenger onboard.

Last edited:
Is it possible for you to share the technique here, If yes please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

P.S: - I'm newbie too and my 4 wheeler driving experience less than a year and I encountered couple of uphill/incline situation (Flyover crawling & stop) and simply get away without any issue because the Diesel Engine & only two or three passenger onboard.
Ya sure buddy, in fact I'll feel humbled to do it for you.

The concept is simple: Accelerate when your car wants to move ahead and it will move. Let's understand it in steps:

If your car is bogged down on an incline then(applicable to both petrols and diesels)
  • Step 1: Press the brake pedal and pull the handbrake. See buddy, when you pull handbrake then you do pull it hard. Now don't pull it hard, pull it slowly and release it at the point you find it getting tightened. This means the shoes have came in contact with drum/disc.
  • Step 2: Remove your foot from the brake pedal(either press the clutch or put the car in neutral), hold the handbrake at its position with release button pressed and see if the car still tries to move back. If not, then let the handbrake be on position and if it moves then pull the handbrake a bit more and you will get to a point where the car will be held by the handbrake but will be on the verge of rolling back. Coming steps will have the reason for doing this.
  • Step 3: Now since the car is held by the handbrake, so engage the first gear and hod the handbrake again with the button depressed but don't touch the accelerator now(its no use burning clutch plates)
  • Step 4: Now engage the first gear and very slowly start releasing the clutch with a light foot on accelerator pedal. Now keep on observing if your clutch has reached the engage point(the point at which the power starts reaching the tires - you should be aware of this point for your car though).
  • Step 5: When the clutch is released till engage point, you will notice that your car will try to move ahead a bit. Here the lightly engaged handbrake will help as it won't overload the engine much before you disengage the handbrake and get your car bogged down.
  • Step 6: Now keep releasing the clutch and start pressing the accelerator pedal a bit gradually releasing the handbrake completely and your car will start moving like a pro even if its a petrol car. This way your car will sound less(as you won't be burning your clutch plates with over-revving engine on half clutch) and move more.

This may sound complicated but go on an incline and try it(do with 5 on board and A/C on) a couple of times and you will find that all 6 of these steps are done within 5-6 seconds when practiced. In fact, this method is so much precise that your car won't move back by even an inch and will climb any incline a way that many don't even think it can.

Last edited:

Top Bottom