Owning A "Fort": My Pre-Owned First Gen Toyota Fortuner

Thread Starter #106
This seems to the same engine which my beast had. It was a 3.0L unit tuned to about 171 BHP. Top mounted Intercooler. Good job there putting up a guide.
Have you found this engine to be pretty loud and boomy? There is a certain boom when crossing 1800 RPM.
Back then i found it Louder than my Safari 3.0L and so to speak Safari was having "Truck engine"
Thank you bhvm! I like to keep self learning and this also becomes more when others interested can learn too .
I love the sound of the D4D and on start up until the engine temperature is attained,the sound is noticable after which it settles down to a steady state of pureusic to my ears
I can listen to the idle all day long and on empty roads I prefer driving with windows down to listen to the engine sound .call me crazy :)
I haven't particularly heard the boom past 1800 rpm as you specified I shall observe more keenly now that you have pointed it .
I found the tdi of the vw and skoda to be more noisier as my neighbour has the car.He even compared and said that he couldn't even hear my Fortuner kept idling while his skoda would make itself heard with the clatter

Thread Starter #109
Wheels -off detail:
was able to do a long time pending "wheels-off" detailing on TANTOR.
Both the front wheels were removed for this detailing.
Its good to get the suspension components,brake components ,steering rack end and boots and the axles cleaned to identify damage or deterioration of parts if any.
The cleaning of the road grime ,oil and grease does take time and use of good quality degreasers can cut short the time taken for this purpose.Alkaline cleaners are also useful for very strong greases and brake dust removal.
An assortment of brushes with varying length of bristles and sizes are very important to get a thorough clean up in the nooks and crannies and around plugs.
I used my Ingco impact wrench to zip off the bolts effortlessly.
First pressure washed under arch and components and then started to clean using chemicals in spray bottle.I used bilt hamber surfex HD diluted 20 ml in 1 litre and wavex APC degreaser diluted 50 ml in 1 liter .
I washed from top to bottom thereby avoiding repeat cleaning as the dirt moves down with cleaning .
I used bilberry wheel cleaner 20 ml in 100 ml water on the brake caliper to break down the brake dust and got excellent results.
The wheels were are treated to wheel cleaner and then washed off with auto shampoo and dried .
The central wheel jewel and even the lug nuts were fully degreased and refitted.
A thin layer of copper anti-seize was used on the hub surface where the alloy contacted to prevent corrosion.
Here are few pics from the detailing .
Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide6.JPG

Slide7.JPG

slide 8.jpg

Thread Starter #111
THIRD ROW SEAT REMOVAL ON TYPE 1 FORTUNER :
A sudden need for me to travel out of town with some extra luggage needed me to free some space in the 3rd row.
The rains did not encourage me to go for roof carrier and hence the thought o remove third row seats as we were only 4 persons travelling.
Tools needed :
1)14 mm hex socket
2)ratchet
3)6 inch socket extension
4)philips screw driver
fold the seats up and remove the trim covers held in place with one Philips screw in front and rear sides .
Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

the removal of the cover now reveals a 14 mm hex bolt which hold the seat to the body of the car ;one in the front and one in the rear positions.
Slide4.JPG

using the 14 mm hex socket with the extension undo the bolts holding the seat base
Slide5.JPG

once both the bolts are out the seats are ready to be removed ;they weigh around 15 kilograms each careful with lifting them out !
Slide6.JPG

put the 14 mm bolts back into the body mounts so that they wont be misplaced and will close the hole to prevent dust /water ingress.
Lo behold a huge space is liberated in the luggage area [clap]
Slide7.JPG

Slide8.JPG

I am extremely pleased how simple it was to remove these seats to free up the space .Thanks to the simple design by Toyota engineers.

Thread Starter #112
Did another whirlwind trip of 1454 Kms during end of December .The drive was very heavy with 4 persons and approximately 400 kg of luggage .It happens when returning from your hometown and every inch is jam packed with "home made" and "home grown' vegetables and plants .
About TANTOR: very reassuring as always .before starting for the trip I did a DIY oil change including filter ,dusted the air filter with compressed air ,greasing of the propeller shafts and topped off wind shield washer fluid .
Brilliant driving performance without breaking a sweat .Super happy with 12.6kmpl of mileage in the entire trip[clap] .
It would have been 13 + had it not been for the 1.5 hrs lost in total idling in the ghat section at Krishnagiri and Kuthiran in Palakkad.
Very very happy [:D]

Thread Starter #113
1.6 lakhs service update :
hello guys ,TANTOR breached the 1,60,000 km and was ready for the major service .This involves replacement of the engine oil,oil filter and litres Toyota super long life coolant .Along with these i additionally got the front differential,transfer case and rear differential oils replaced.Total service including labor and parts was Rs 14381.
TANTOR drives like butter now and ready to taken on the wild roads again [cheers]

Top Bottom