Owning A "Fort": My Pre-Owned First Gen Toyota Fortuner

Thread Starter #91
continental cross contact update after 15000kms
the Tyres were one of the first things I had addressed as soon as i got the vehicle .
The Continental cross contact AT tyres have done a wonderful job so far on all the terrains .(I haven't driven on snow yet)
The grips are exceptional ,noise is very acceptable on the highway tarmac.Had just one puncture from a long piece of metal rod which caused slow air pressure loss .
Have done at 5 tire rotation yesterday so that I can maximize tyre life .
Alignment was checked and was perfect after 15k of driving [cheers].
Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

All set and ready for the next long run !

Thread Starter #93
That is because the suspension is in full extension as the vehicle is in the air ..that spring holds the rear brakes line to the body without overstressed the lines ...when the vehicle articulate it compensates for the height and stretch of the brake lines

Thread Starter #94
You can see the rear shocker fully out stretched on both sides and the springs fully extended as the wheels ,axle and differential is freely hanging

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Whats that weird spring like stuff? Looks very vulnerable.
Its a load sensing spring which is part of the LSPV. It stands for Load sensing proportioning valve. This is "a valve that attaches an arm to the rear axle, so that a heavily loaded bed compressed the suspension, which applies more braking power to the rear brakes.
The LSPV is used on Toyota models such as Truck, Van and SUVs which may be used to carry a variety of loads. The heavier the load, the greater the portion of braking is required of the rear brakes.The LSPV allows higher pressure to the rear brakes to accomplish this.The LSPV is attached to the body or frame above the left rear control arm or axle housing. Load sensing is accomplished by suspending the sensing spring between the vehicle body and the rear axle housing. The load sensing spring movement caused by vehicle height changes due to load, is transmitted to the proportioning valve.
As a vehicle is loaded, the leaf springs are compressed as the vehicle body lowers. The load sensing spring provides a variable force pushing the proportioning piston up as the vehicle is loaded. As the piston is lifted, a higher brake hydraulic pressure is required to force the piston down resulting in higher pressure at the rear wheels."

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thanks for the Explanation DOC! That was amazing.
I remember reading about LPSV on Non-ABS safari variants (user manual). But ABS ones handle this via ABS controller so no need of spring.

Thread Starter #101
Most times I drive around 90-110 close to 2000 rpm..far better mileage can be expected at these speeds on the flat tarmacs in TN toll highways which I mentioned in few previous experiences !

Thread Starter #102
KNOW YOUR DRIVE :
this is purely an educational post to identify the various components in your vehicle.
In this first of the series the heart of the beast in the " Engine bay" .In this post there will be basic parts identified and labelled .I am not a professional mechanic and may have made unintentional mistakes in identification of parts.Please do correct me if any mistakes .Gradually I shall include the more of the cooling ,electrical and transmission parts of the vehicle.
Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

rhs.jpg

lhs.jpg

bhvm

Honoured Member
This seems to the same engine which my beast had. It was a 3.0L unit tuned to about 171 BHP. Top mounted Intercooler. Good job there putting up a guide.
Have you found this engine to be pretty loud and boomy? There is a certain boom when crossing 1800 RPM.
Back then i found it Louder than my Safari 3.0L and so to speak Safari was having "Truck engine"

Top Bottom