Owning A "Fort": My Pre-Owned First Gen Toyota Fortuner

Thread Starter #31
Had a quick day trip on Ganesh Chathurthi.First visited a temple at KR nagar and then thought of visiting Shravanabelagola as its about 60 kms from KR nagar mysore.
Total distance covered roundtrip 372kms ;fuel avg 11.3kmpl with 5 passengers and full time AC ;some spirited driving when I bashed 145 kms back home in 2hours 10mins [:D].The Fort just takes command of the roads good or bad and behaved very well.Impresses each time!

Attachments

Congratulations : probably the most perfect choice for a used proper sized 4x4 vehicle!
Wish you many many safe miles!
Keep it protected from rats, you have had a narrow escape!
Most pictures of the beast needed with interior pics too!

Thread Starter #33
Congratulations : probably the most perfect choice for a used proper sized 4x4 vehicle!
Wish you many many safe miles!
Keep it protected from rats, you have had a narrow escape!
Most pictures of the beast needed with interior pics too!
thanks Iron rock.Yes rats are a real concern for me and I am somehow keeping them at bay since the incident.I am currently using chemical deterrents to keep them away[confused]Sure will post interior pics of the car soon!And few more accessories which I have fixed for the car

Thread Starter #34
interior update :
got a new Blaupunkt 2DIN car multimedia installed .Details are attached along with the pictures .I shall soon post my observations once i start using it thoroughly.I forgot to take pictures of the rear cam install.

Attachments

Thread Starter #35
Immediately noticed an issue .The device doesn't provide the coupler required for maintaining steering mounted controls of the MID display, volume and audio controls.Additional coupler to be purchased at approximate Rs.2500 for steering functions to carry on as usual.Not a deal breaker for me as the MID can still be operated by an independent button mounted on the panel close to the central MID display. Mostly the volume was controlled using the rotary knob before so will continue the same even on the new system.And since being touch flipping through music folders is a breeze.Shall decide on the additional "comfort" of steering controls after few months of use

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
QUICK UPDATE :Got the continental cross contact AT tires in OEM size of 265/65R/17 size.
2)was able to drive through lots of standing water on mysore road flyover and even on long tarred roads near my home ;excellent grip felt during the run.
3)tires look fantastic on the beast .
[:D]
I love your tyres. They look big and brutish,just the way I like it.How is the performance now that you have piled up some kms??

Thread Starter #38
Nice Update/Mod, where did you get the frame from ?
My local auto accessory shop where I regularly visit had the small filler plastic strips on the right and left side to fill up the gap

I love your tyres. They look big and brutish,just the way I like it.How is the performance now that you have piled up some kms??
yes have done almost 2500kms with the new shoes on and they have bedded in well .They have been excellent in all conditions I have driven on from super smooth highways in TN to no roads we had in the forests of kerala.[:D]The grip is awesome in slush and gravel and not once I have had concerns about losing traction.They say a mans' shoes adds to his personality and certainly the "cross contacts "have done their job really well .Very happy with the investment .I spend the weekend just going around and pulling out the few small pebbles stuck between his teeth [lol] with a screwdriver to keep them ready to munch more miles!

Thread Starter #39
My Fortuner is parked outside and has been exposed to all elements of weather.Also it has seen some weather from its previous ownership also .I thought of rejuvenating and restoring what ever possible the faded bits of plastics and trim on the exterior .
The Fort was washed and dried thoroughly . TRINOVA plastic and trim remover ,which i procured through family member from the USA was used .The solution is rather thin and sticky type and a little goes a long way .The product instructions suggest to use the solution with the given applicator pad and to apply a thin layer and buff the excess of with a micro-fibre cloth .
I used it to restore all window beading and trim,The front wiper cowl areas and the black plastics on the ORVM housing .The front and rear wiper blade holder assembly and the door pillars were also coated with the protector .
On smooth black plastics initially the black gets a shiny appearance which when buffed off with a micro-fiber leaves a non-sticky surface with matt finish .The textured plastics of the mirror and rear wiper and the front wiper cowl areas looked very much like new.The blacks on the door pillars were glossy to begin with and were restored to more glossy (see my reflection) finish.The finished work looks better in person and was difficult to capture on camera .However i have attached a few pictures of fore and after

Attachments

Thread Starter #40
Service update :
the fort has clocked 1,39.444 kms and was due for its 10k km major service .
The vehicle was duly booked for service at Authorised dealer nandi toyota ,kanakapura ,bengaluru.
My only reported issue was of a spongy brake .
The vehicle was taken in at 8.30 AM and the general inspection done .
The service bay is clearly visible from the waiting lounge and I was eagerly watching them systematically go through the vehicle front to back .
The front disc brake pads needed replacement and were worn down quite down to the backing plate.
work carried out :
1)10k km service inspection
2)brakes
3)zinc coating of the silencer
4)airfilter cleaning
5)engine emission control system service (something like decarbonisation )
6)engine oil replaced with oil filter
parts replaced :
1)fused rear brake light bulb
2)brake pads front
3)brake booster and master cylinder
4)plastic grommet holding bonnet stand
The spongy brakes were attributed to a failing brake booster and master cylinder which were also replaced to the newer upgraded version which had better braking capability.I could experience sharper braking now after the new brake booster .
Rest , the car was neatly washed and presented before delivery .All in all very happy with the service.
I had a service coupon given to me at time of purchase which waived of the labor charges for the 10k Km service.But I was charged for the brake job.

Also got a steel rat shield attached to fresh air intake in the cowl area.They applied silicone sealant around the perimeter of the rat-mesh to prevent water ingress just in case.
The entire exhaust system was subjected to zinc coating .Was very impressed with the finish .

The total cost for the entire service was Rs.22313.[glasses]A big budget because of replacement of major parts like brake booster master-cylinder and brake pads.With out these the 10k km service would have costed around 6.5 k

Attachments

Thread Starter #42
DIY replacement of rain -visor adhesive :
For long I have been wanting to fix a rainvisor which had separated from its adhesive backing.Finally found time on 3 afternoons to finish the job on all four windows .
The entire process has been shown in the pictures .Removal of the visors was done with nylon trim reoval tol .The removalof the adhesive tape from the window fram is what takes time.I had to experiment with water,soapy water ,NC thinner and surgical spirit and loads of elbow grease .I used a hair dryer to soften adhesive on the visors .
Slowly but steadily remove the adhesive and use thinner to complete the removal of the tackiness.
Then clay bar was used to remove roughness and restore the pain to original finish.
Prepare the surfaces of the visor and the window with spirit before application of tape for better adhesion.

Attachments

Thread Starter #44
LET THERE BE LIGHT!
I have been wanting to add auxillary lights to the fort especially for night driving on highways .And add to its looks [glasses]!
Bought a pair of Hella rallye 500FF as I had a lightning deal on Amazon prime for 3778 and item delivered the next day .Super fast shipping from Gurgaon I must say !
The nomenclature is confusing the box says Hella comet while the sticker says Hella Rallye 500ff.Its the same stuff anyways [cheers].
The product is made in India and carries very good quality .All needed hardware is provided by the company relays ,fuses and wiring instructions.The picture will show the contents

Attachments

Thread Starter #45
work in progress and fitting: I am particularly interested to be able to remove the aux lights after a road trip to prevent theft and also damage in city use.The electrician suggested welding clamps to front cross member but refused any permanent modification to the factory finish.Then came the issue as to where to mount as the front cross member was just behind the front bumper and drilling holes into it again I refused . Then we found a metal brace used for screwing in the vertical bumper overhangs and support radiator from inside engine bay.
Got 2 custom made L shaped clamps with appropriate holes .Although it would be crude and not prevent the lights from vibrating fully I was happy as I am not off roading with these lights anyways and more importantly the factory finish wasn't disturbed.
I would have loved to get the clamps painted before installation but I have kept it for a DIY project in future.[:D]
10 mm bolts and lock washers are used to fit the clamps into final position and lights mounted .
The wiring was done to directly connect to the battery with independent relay and fuse and a separate switch in the dash for operation of the driving lights.I also got the entire wiring covered by corrugated pipe to prevent rat attack[gun].
I haven't yet been able to find a dark area to test and adjust the driving lights .I shall post pics /video once I do the same

Attachments

Top Bottom