Ownership Review of Volkswagen Polo (P) Highline - Candy White

Congrats Shailinder for your German beauty, I too bought the same color and same variant in Aug 13. We have 3 Maruti cars at my hometown including swift and I do not think Maruti can ever match the build quality of VW.

Wish you many Happy miles ahead [:)]

Thread Starter #47
Congrats Shailinder for your German beauty, I too bought the same color and same variant in Aug 13. We have 3 Maruti cars at my hometown including swift and I do not think Maruti can ever match the build quality of VW.

Wish you many Happy miles ahead [:)]
Thanks Ghost for the wishes. [clap]

How may KMs you have covered and average you are getting.

You are right about the build quality but people still loves Maruti and any other company would take 20+ years to match Maruti's customer / service centers (count wise). [:)]

Last edited:
Thanks Ghost for the wishes. [clap]

How may KMs you have covered and average you are getting.

You are right about the build quality but people still loves Maruti and any other company would take 20+ years to match Maruti's customer / service centers (count wise). [:)]
I have not driven much only 2K till now. I have not calculated mileage by full tank method but from MID average shows 13-14 with 50% AC. Also I leave late from office so that time not much of traffic on the road and MID shows average as 16-17. I am very sedate driver and rarely floor the pedal.

For me Maruti exp. have been opposite here in Bangalore, when I went to the showroom to check about Swift nobody cared to explain about the car. My exp. with VW here has been very good.

Thread Starter #49
I have not driven much only 2K till now. I have not calculated mileage by full tank method but from MID average shows 13-14 with 50% AC. Also I leave late from office so that time not much of traffic on the road and MID shows average as 16-17. I am very sedate driver and rarely floor the pedal.

For me Maruti exp. have been opposite here in Bangalore, when I went to the showroom to check about Swift nobody cared to explain about the car. My exp. with VW here has been very good.
Because you had paid the price for this service.

Aside to Maruti stuff, well it varies from center to center I guess. In Delhi, I have been to only three stations two are big service centers and one small time authorised center.

I perfer small center "Excel Motors, Dwarka". You can literarly stand with your car and ask to check / do as per your choice with the normal course of service. [:)]

Thread Starter #50
Hi Friends,

Car has covered some 4500 kms so far and recent tank filling gave following figures.

I did not change the trip meter (2nd) from last 2-3 tank fills and this is what I am getting as an average.

Last 3 tank full average.jpg

Following is the average for the day or after tanking filling.

* Sorry for the bad quality pictues as I was driving when took those.

Avg for the day.jpg

I have this issue and do not know how to cut it. Reflection of AC vent creates discomfort while driving. It gives an impression that something is coming...

How to cut it ? Any ideas.....

AC vent reflection.jpg

Last edited:
Shailinder, I do not think much can be done in this regard. I also face this issue when I drive my friend's Polo 1.2 too. It is not that big of an issue though, i feel.

Thread Starter #52
Type-R, It depend how one takes this reflection issue. Because I have been facing it since begining but today felt that it really creates discomfort. I was on the highway and one Fortunar flashed to take pass. But before I could give him way, he decided to overtake from left side and I had to pull my car towards right to make some space. But when I look at the right rear view mirror I got a shock and thought some bike or car entered from right side but to my luck it was just a reflection.

I think, under sudden situations it create or might create some issues.

I am not sure what others think about it.

Shailinder, that's fantastic fuel efficiency. Do verify by doing tankful though.

Can't do much about the reflection apart from taping the chromed part with a dull tape.

Thread Starter #54
Thanks Sam,

All the figures are from tank full to tank full conditions.

I follow few steps for these figures:

1. Tankful during morning hours as much as possible. No scientific reason to prove this but it helps me.
2. Let the engine attain optimum temperature before switching on AC or pushing the paddle. (Nothing to do with fuel efficiency i guess but I follow it.)
3. Tyre pressure (Nitrogen) at 33 PSI.
4. I don’t let the fuel gauge to go down below the half way mark.
5. Always check the fuel efficiency after every tankful. So that I can be aware of the situation.

Thanks

Last edited:
@shailinder - Wow its amazing fuel economy for a petrol car. Filling fuel in the morning definitely helps; even i do the same. Just a feedback that its a little unsafe to capture photos while driving as it takes your attention off the road. You can take these photos even when the car's standstill at end destination. Sure photos can wait.[:)]

Thread Starter #56
@shailinder - Wow its amazing fuel economy for a petrol car. Filling fuel in the morning definitely helps; even i do the same. Just a feedback that its a little unsafe to capture photos while driving as it takes your attention off the road. You can take these photos even when the car's standstill at end destination. Sure photos can wait.[:)]
Thanks Ajit for the valueable advise. I will keep that in mind next time [:D]

Thanks Sam,

All the figures are from tank full to tank full conditions.

I follow few steps for these figures:

1. Tankful during morning hours as much as possible. No scientific reason to prove this but it helps me.
2. Let the engine attain optimum temperature before switching on AC or pushing the paddle. (Nothing to do with fuel efficiency i guess but I follow it.)
3. Tyre pressure (Nitrogen) at 33 PSI.
4. I don’t let the fuel gauge to go down below the half way mark.
5. Always check the fuel efficiency after every tankful. So that I can be aware of the situation.

Thanks
1. Helps. Scientific reason = Petrol evaporates due to heat and is sold by volume; so lower temperatures = correct (liquid) volume.

2. Helps. Scientific reason = Engines perform most efficiently when they are at their optimum operating temperature.

3. Nitrogen doesn't help. Overinflating does.

4. Doesn't matter.

5. Doesn't matter apart from providing peace of mind.

My friend also gets 15-16 kmpl with 80% AC in his Polo and the route consists of some traffic areas too like South EX and South Delhi.

Thread Starter #59
1. Helps. Scientific reason = Petrol evaporates due to heat and is sold by volume; so lower temperatures = correct (liquid) volume.

2. Helps. Scientific reason = Engines perform most efficiently when they are at their optimum operating temperature.

3. Nitrogen doesn't help. Overinflating does.

4. Doesn't matter.

5. Doesn't matter apart from providing peace of mind.
Thanks Sam for the valueable information. Well it does help for me. [clap]

My friend also gets 15-16 kmpl with 80% AC in his Polo and the route consists of some traffic areas too like South EX and South Delhi.
Thanks Type-R, I sure friend is getting these figures and anybody can attain that with Polo. In fact, anybody can attain that on any vehicle it is nothing specific to Polo Petrol. Even Diesel cars would fetc more milage if we want to.

One of my friend has 2011, Polo Comfortline Diesel and his average is around 13-14 because he is not happy with sedete driving at all. He seldom slot a 5th gear because he just want to go pass any vehicle around him and it gives him a high. But he has been advised by many to cool down but he is not listening to anyone. He is not a rash driver but loves to drive fast.

So, it is more to do with the driver than the vehicle. I used to get 19 KMPL on my Zen Estilo on the same route (tankful to tankful). So I am somewhat not happy with the performance of Polo if I compare it with Polo...[lol]

Originally Posted by shailinder
One of my friend has 2011, Polo Comfortline Diesel and his average is around 13-14 because he is not happy with sedete driving at all. He seldom slot a 5th gear because he just want to go pass any vehicle around him and it gives him a high. But he has been advised by many to cool down but he is not listening to anyone. He is not a rash driver but loves to drive fast.
Well Shailinder i also own a VW Polo TDi and the average that i get overall is around 15-16km/ltr. Now you know your friend well so wont comment anything on that. Now you are aware of the fact that the Turbo Diesel cars are only fun and drivable in the Turbo range below and after the turbo range the car is pretty dull to drive. Now with the Polo 1.2 TDi the Turbo spools up at around 2000-2100 RPM, before this the car is very sluggish and non responsive( Observations for a 3 cylinder polo diesel) And when the turbo spools there is excessive power delivered which i agree does give a thrill. Now the same when driving in city conditions is a big pain as you have to keep on down shifting to fill in the gap. Now considering the fact that its a 3 Cylinder the car should give a better average but due to this characteristic of the car there is a lot of gear change and down shift which results in loss of average. You will never face this situation with any petrol car as the power delivery is instant and you will only really rev if you want to have some spirited sessions or overtaking but in a polo diesel its not only for spirited runs but also for power delivery. No doubt i agree that the Turbo spool is addictive and results in spirited drives. The other diesels have a better turbo zone which do not require much down shifts and acceleration. In fact the VW vento manages a better average than the polo under normal city drives as its turbo zone starts around 1750 RPM and you can easily drive it in the traffic without any down shift required for filling gaps instantly.

We have a new stretch of road here in Mumbai know as the Eastern Free way which is a 14 km stretch only for vehicles and no trucks,buses or bikes allowed. I drove the Polo 1.2 TDi at a constant speed of 50km/hr for this stretch and the result i got is as follows.

IMG_20140524_191656_reduced.JPG

Top Bottom