Ownership Review: Chevy Spark LTO

18 km/lt is a lie. When I bought my car (in 2008), GM brochure stated it as 16.9 km/lt. Not sure how without any change in engine (or neither loosing weight), it can go up to 18 km/lt.

There have been competitions here in Kolkata (organized by GM) where Spark gave 29 km/lt, but I guess that driving style is not suited for daily commute.

However Spark has a 4 cylinder engine and that gives it great refinement and performance. Most of the cars its compared to (with respect to FE) are 3 cylinder ones. Even the old Alto with its S-Tec engine (related to the one present in Spark) was 3 cylinder and 800 CC. Hence lower top speed and greater FE.

Definitely the car has been positioned wrongly ... its never going to top the FE charts. It never gave me more than 13 km/lt in Kolkata city traffic, however subdued I drove.

But then its not always about FE... is it?

Thread Starter #33
Hi,

I don't understand how much top speed one wants from such a small car. It dazzles so much after 80 kmph. I have done 100+ kmph in Spark and did 120+ in Alto and 160+ in Corsa but whats the point ? How long can you drive at such speeds ? Its just dangerous and waste of fuel.

Why petrol cars are not selling ? Because they don't give top speed ? No the only reason is the high cost of fuel. Companies are being forced to shutdown their plants because of the stock pileup of petrol cars.

People want economy. Economy means higher mileage, not higher speeds. Hence IMHO its about the mileage. Remember Maruti's Ad: "Kitna Deti Hai ?"

Sure young guys want some power too but then how long you can drive at that speed ? Anyways I am not anti speed but when driving peacefully the vehicle should give me peace.

For eg. today i got refueled and it just did 425 kms in the whole tank.
I earlier assumed that Spark's tank capacity is 35 ltrs like other cars but now I came to know its 42 ltrs. Say that the car had 2 ltrs. of petrol left then it means it just gave me a mileage of 10.625 kmpl. Its so much awful in my personal opinion.

If I am revving then definitely a mileage of 10 kmpl can be considered but when I drive peacefully and hover in between 45-60 kmph then it should deliver me the smiles.

Thanks.

@kikloo. I really dont know how i missed this thread.

And also am very sorry about the FE you get. Yes its 100% right that we always look answer for the question Kitna Deti Hai ?. Being a spark owner and have the same complaint what you have. Low FE.

I have Spark LS LPG model (2010 model got it in 2011). Pls go through the ownership review of mine.

I get 10 in city both LPG as well in Petrol. Highways I should get more on this. I tried various things. Even went for mileage test (you see some posts on that) and found 18 KM/PL was the result (without AC, in high way, in 2500 RPM, not exceeding 80KM/h speed)

Apart from FE, I love this car. For us (4 of us) at-least it is spacious. AC is good in my case. Even in hot summer in 10/15 minutes the cabin gets cooler. Noiseless cabin. Good pickup in both petrol as well as LPG.

Thread Starter #35
Hi,

I have sold the car and I got ertiga zdi in which I get about 21 kmpl..very good mileage I must say. Though I like Spark but when I compare it with competition it is now no where near the mileage other companies are providing. Hence I must say that Chevy people must fix this problem in the car. All is fine in the car except mileage. I do not have any other complaint.

Thanks.

Top Bottom