Ownership Experience of Manza Aura Quadrajet - 20,000 Kms Completed

Thread Starter #1
I m now a proud owner of Tata Manza - Monarch Red. Thought i would share my experience of buying and driving Manza . Here goes the story of my First ever new Car purchase.
My family car (my bothers to be specific) is Maruti ZEN. Its our family car which we use only for city driving. Wasnt so reliable. So was not using for highway drives. For many years I have been thinking of buying a new car. Also new arrival in my family made me think I should seriously look for a spacious car. Then I decided this is the time to fulfill my dream of buying a new car. Did not think about used cars. Lesson from driving used car. I had previous experience with ZEN. We are not sure of what abuses any used car would have taken from the prev owner. I was not willing to go for a used car.

My home town is Chennai. But I currently work in Bangalore. Due to change in job, within 2 months will be shifting to Chennai. So I decided to purchase the Car in Chennai.

My requirements were as below:

1)Should accomodate 5 people including driver
2)Rear should be spacious( at least like Zen)
3)Decent boot space
4)A diesel car(due to obvious reasons )
5) Was not thinking about resale value. Since I would be using for long time.
6) Budget (max 6 lakhs)

I made a choice of cars :

Swift VDI
Ford Figo
Tata Vista

After visting different show rooms, and thanks to Swift's waiting period and high pricing, I thought Figo would be the best VFM buy and good FE choice.

I visited 2nd time with my family for TD. Only parents came with me . My Wife was not able to accompany . Went to Chennai Ford, Concorde and ABT Maruti, We had look at Manza. It was more spacious and had a good boot space too. But due to my budget I stuck to hatchback. My mother liked the car very much and also my kid was able to play due to good space in rear. Later my father told he would sponsor 2 lakhs if i want to go for the sedan. So after much brainstorming I decided to look for sedan type with max budget of 7.5

Choices were Mahindra Verito , Tata Manza, Swift DZire and Ford Fiesta.
Ruled out Fiesta due to budget constraints.
Ruled Dzire out due to cramped rear and 3 months wait period. I did a TD. I asked to go for a bumpy road for testing suspension. Then only the driver told this is a for-delivery vehicle. I pity the prospective owner.[cry]

In Chennai I took Test drive of Verito and Manza . Thought both were equally good in space and ride comfort.
Also I did TDs in Bangalore for confirming a few details.

Why Manza?
Now the decision Making: Only problems in Verito was Left Hand drive orientation and the strange placement of switches. I thought I can come to terms with practice. Also for similar model variants Manza was 40Ks costlier. Got some reviews that Verito has better mileage than Tata Manza. So I thought I would go for Verito.

After discussing with sales personnel, The cost of Manza and Verito became almost equal, Thanks to discount given By TATA and no discount given by Mahindra
Then I start seriously thinking about Manza. Because ride quality, space and comfort wise both were equal. From driver point of view I thought Manza was easier to drive for me because of Right hand drive orientation wiper and indicator. Also the IP had separate indicators for left and right turns.
These are small things, but its important for me as a driver. Since only I m going to drive this vehicle I thought I wanted to like this more than any one.

Thought of booking Aqua since it was Rs.50K lesser than Aura Trim. But when matched with the features, thought if I spent for them the cost would be same. Also sales guy told the AQUA model is slow moving and would get only after 3 weeks. AURA model was ready in stickyard. I made decision to go for AURA.

I booked car on 16th September Aura. Siena Gold was looking gud in website pics. Later went for Inspection in stockyard. When I saw the Siena Gold I wasnt impressed at all by color. Sales guy told after polish it will look like in Website pics. But I didnot like at first sight. Monarch red was looking better. So I booked it. Also the odo showed 30 kms. I asked him whetehr thsi vehicle would be used for TD . He told concorde doesnot even allow customers to touch the delivery vehicle. Was somehow satisfied that they would not allow deliv vehicle for TD like ABT Maruti did. He said that 30 kms was due normal PDI testing. Also while delivery it would take another 60 kms because it has to be taken to RTO office to and fro.

The Car Delivery date was fixed to be 29th September. I went to chennai Concorde Motors in Ambattur IE. Sales guy gave a good Demo and explained all details. INformed me the RC would coming in 30 to 40 days. Got all documents from him. I took the PDI instructions I procured from some ionternet forums, checked all the details.

I got the keys from him. Was excited that I m gonna start new ar for first time. I started and car did not start . I thought Tata niggles have started for on the first day itself The demo guy told , in the new Quadrajet engine, they have set safety features. After depressing clutch only the engine will start.
I got back my breath and started by depressing teh clutch. Car started. Then I took some pics with the guys in showroom and then started for my first drive in the new car,

Till now I ahve never driven this much long car with the boot. I had only driven hatchbacks. Had to take extra care while turning. I came and parked in my house safely. Later in evening went to temple for pooja

Next day early morning planned to go for the highway drive to Thirukazhukundram temple which is 75 kms away from my place. Took the chennai bypass road to chengelpat. I was told about the running in and was driving not more than 80 kmph. I started enjoying the drive once the 2k rpms cross and teh turbo kicks in.

Also I did not notice any under-body scarping even on high speed breakers. Manza has GC of 165 mm. And FIGO has GC of 168 mm. But I see many FIGO owners complaining of thud sound on speed breakers. But Manza owners never complain. It may be due to suspension.

when I was on the bypass road drive. I took my hands off the steering, i thought the vehicle was pulling left very slightly. I was thinking the road was curving. So i did not think about it much. I did not know there was the Manza's left pulling problem till I read it in the threads. So I have to check it. Still haven't tested the car in a straight road. So will test it this weekend and see if the left pulling problem is there in my Manza.

Till now I have clocked only 500 kms. Till now have found it pleaure to drive in both highways and also in city traffic.

The AC effect was less. So I installed the Sunfilm on both Windshield and Windows & Rear and Art Leather seatcovers. I was under dilemma whether to put seat covers. But my kid will always jump on seats with slippered legs. Manza come with beige fabric seat. So would be diffcult to take the stains off and seat would look ugly. So made decision to install Art leather. So it would be easy to clean and remove stains.

Will keep this thread updated about my owner ship .[;)]

25/04/2012 - Second Service update: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...uadrajet-5300-kms-completed-5.html#post155288

20/09/2012 - Third Service / 10,000 kms update:
Problems reported: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...10-000-kms-1-year-completed-8.html#post207393
Breakup of Cost and Complaints : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...10-000-kms-1-year-completed-9.html#post209061

30/05/2013 - Fourth Service update / 20175 kms
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-year-12-000-kms-completed-10.html#post291850

Last edited:
Re: My Buying Experience of Manza Aura Quadrajet

Hello vijay, welcome to TAI.
Congrats on your new Acquistion of Manza.
That was a nice comparo between two.

Looking forward for some pics and your driving experiences with your car.

Congratulations Vijay!

I too have a Manza which has covered over 17000 kms and no major issues.

Enjoy your Manza.

Hi Rudolf_Diesel,

Congradulations for the new car.

Manza is a good buy.

I am also having a Manza.

It is really comfortable and no issues faced for last 8 months.

Last edited:

Oh put on some pics to go with that nice write-up! Let us also view how Monarch Red looks [:)]

Wishing you many happy mile crunching ahead [:)]

Thread Starter #8

Here are some pictures of my Monarch Red beauty :

Attachments

Nice photos Rudolf.

Sparkling[:D]

Eventhough TATA call it M Red, its actually Maroon. My Manza is also of same colour.

Please post some more interior pics.

Well a nice story of your purchasing you new manza and congrats for that,and welcome to TAI.
The Color is good,by looking at the 8th picture,i see that it quite looks like the fiesta classic anyway that's also good,keep us updated with your review and travel experiences,Travel safely.

350Z

Core Team

Nice pictures and indeed well written review. Tata Manza has become a popular car eventually but why not? It is after all one of the most value for money sedans in the segment. Congratulations for being a happy and proud owner of this car. Do share more pictures and please keep those experiences coming.

when I was on the bypass road drive. I took my hands off the steering, i thought the vehicle was pulling left very slightly. I was thinking the road was curving. So i did not think about it much. I did not know there was the Manza's left pulling problem till I read it in the threads.
A couple of related threads here:
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s/4048-question-tata-indigo-manza-owners.html
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-climb-uphill-loss-power.html?highlight=manza

Drive Safe,
350Z

Vibhour,

There are no such problems in my Manza nor heard about these in any Manza cars owned by friends and collegues. I was particularly checking the left pulling issue after reading those threads. Also tested the car in tough and steep ghat roads along with a Laura. We could not find any issues.

You can also check with Highway Ranger who has taken his Manza for a fantastic trip through the ghats. The person who has started the above two threads literally hijacked Highway Ranger's ownership thread.

Thread Starter #14

Vibhour,

There are no such problems in my Manza nor heard about these in any Manza cars owned by friends and collegues. I was particularly checking the left pulling issue after reading those threads. Also tested the car in tough and steep ghat roads along with a Laura. We could not find any issues.
I think the problem of left pulling is with a batch of Manza cars or a design problem in Manza. In the thread by gypsy it was mentioned that many Manza cars had the problem. But after alignment done , it was solved. Now I had chance to test my car yesterday on a straight road. I found the left pulling problem is present in my car also. I hope this would be solved by the TASS in the first free service due next week.

About the driving in hill, I m donot know. I have never taken my car to any trip. Hopefully there is no problem. I would get chance to test that only after a month or 2 when I plan to go Tirupathi.

Regards
Vijay

Top Bottom