Ownership Experience of Manza Aura Quadrajet - 20,000 Kms Completed

Re: My Buying Experience of Manza Aura Quadrajet

@ rudolf , please go through post no.#51 on page no.4 on my manza ownership thread.
You can ready yourself to get the answer from TASS, better to send e-mail to tatas before hand about the problem.

Thread Starter #47

@ rudolf , please go through post no.#51 on page no.4 on my manza ownership thread.
You can ready yourself to get the answer from TASS, better to send e-mail to tatas before hand about the problem.
I saw that post and I could not control my laughter after reading the SA's answers for running-in period.Will email to Tata about this problem before hand. Is it anywhere mentioned in manual (like default value for toe camber for alignment), about the RPM to speed mapping in different gears. In Manual they would have mentioned about the speed limit to be maintained for FE etc. But I done remember seeing the RPM - Speed mapping. So how do we know which RPM is correct for a speed in a gear [confused].
Waiting for Peter to give his values when he gets time to check.

I donot know whether this is a negligible problem or a this if left unattended could cause some serious damage to engine. this is my worry now.

Don't worry, Once the car is ecm is plugged in with OBD of TASS, I it will give the true answers .Tatas will help you .

@HR I also feel that it's a clutch problem.

@ Rudolf_Diesel

Here are the result of a test drive that I did today. The pictures are a bit shaky as I had to hold the camera in one hand and the steering with the other. And also, I could not find good roads free of traffic.

I find that the RPM settles down to around 750 after the engine warms up.
0_1.jpg
0_2.jpg

Then on the 4th gear, at 2000 rpm, I get a speed a little over 60kmph say 62/64.
60_1.jpg
60_2.jpg
60_3.jpg

And on the 5th gear, at 2000 rpm, I get a little over 80 kmph, say 82/84.
80_2.jpg
80_3.jpg
80_4.jpg

A picture speaks a thousand words.

My take is, either your instruments speedo/Tachometer are not calibrated properly or your clutch is slipping.

My take is, either your instruments speedo/Tachometer are not calibrated properly or your clutch is slipping.
And I would like to know the reasons of clutch slipping why this happened in a brand new manza? Is that normal?

Every problem has a logical reason but tata people go around with hit n trial method & instead of solving the problem they create other few in the process. I would have asked them categorically why & how come new car is having mis calibrated rpm in first place.

Now it's same , further in fifth gear.
if I increase to 2k rpm, car achieves 95 kmph speed,
if I increase to 2.2 rpm, car achieve s 105 kmph speed,
if I increase to 2.5 k rpm car achieves 120 kmph.
That sounds interesting. Can you post some pictures of the speedo/tacho while doing 2K rpm in fifth gear?

That will give us something, like an evidence, to ask Tata motors why the variations in speed/rpm in different Manzas.

Thread Starter #52

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Whatever is shown in the pictures, for initial 1 or 2 months of driving, I was getting the same rpm at those speeds mentioned similar to yours. But after 2 months only I start noticing the RPM increase for the speeds and i thought that this may normal. Recently only I thought of checking with fellow manza owners. @HR: I want to know whats clutch slipping. You mean to say that clutch is loose or is not engaging properly.

And I would like to know the reasons of clutch slipping why this happened in a brand new manza? Is that normal?
During my initial ownership in 1st post I mentioned about the cranking not happening properly everytime.
@HR: Since you mentioned about clutch slipping I remember that some adjustment was done at the clutch for cranking problem. Everytime I have to give harder than normal press to clutch for cranking engine. I mentioned this during 1st service and he adjusted some switch below clutch which is related with cranking. Is it possible that because of that adjustment the clutch slipping happens?? I don't feel any problem while engaging gear or pressing clutch. What actually is clutch slipping

Last edited:

Did a RPM check during lunch intervel today.

In idling after start - 800 RPM
Switch on the AC - 800 RPM (no change in RPM)
Switch off the AC - goes to 850 RPM for a second and then again settle at 800 RPM.

In 4th Gear at 23 km per hour - 850 RPM

In 4th Gear at 40 km per hour - 1400 RPM

In 4th Gear at 50 km per hour - 1900 RPM

In 5th Gear at 70 km per hour - 1500 RPM ? (there was some fluctuation)

In 5th Gear at slightly above 80 kmph - 2000 RPM (ran out of road after that)

Last edited:

[confused] Why do you have to press the clutch for cranking? I start the car without touching the clutch. What has cranking to do with the clutch? Can you please explain?

[confused] Why do you have to press the clutch for cranking? I start the car without touching the clutch. What has cranking to do with the clutch? Can you please explain?
Even I wonder that, it seems some issue was there in his manza which is being covered up by adjusting RPM. I am going out now & will post my rpm later in the evening.

Even I wonder that, it seems some issue was there in his manza which is being covered up by adjusting RPM. I am going out now & will post my rpm later in the evening.

Pressing the clutch while starting is considered as a safety precaution.

In new Vista (sedan class), we can start only if the clutch is pressed.

By habbit I was always starting with clutch pressed eventhough gear is in neutral.

Clutch slipping occurs when the driven disc fails to rotate at the same speed as the driving members when the clutch is fully engaged. This condition results whenever the clutch pressure plate fails to hold the disc tight against the face of the flywheel.

If clutch slippage is severe, the engine speed will rise rapidly on acceleration, while the vehicle gradually increases in speed. (This started to happen in my first Zen at the time I sold it)

Slight, but continuous slippage may go unnoticed until the clutch facings are ruined by excessive temperature caused by friction. (not sure if this is your case)

That sounds interesting. Can you post some pictures of the speedo/tacho while doing 2K rpm in fifth gear?

yes, within few hrs.

Pressing the clutch while starting is considered as a safety precaution.

In new Vista (sedan class), we can start only if the clutch is pressed.

By habbit I was always starting with clutch pressed eventhough gear is in neutral.
Who told you? 3 times I repeat the question.

Yes, while parking ,according to owner s mannual, you are supposed top engage a gear before leaving the car, but we can disengage it before cranking.

Ok, Now I get it.

@Autosafari, Yes it is good practice to disengage the drive before cranking. This is to avoid sudden jerk if you forget to put your car in neutral while starting. And for some cars, it is a feature. You cannot crank the engine without pressing the clutch.

@ Rudolf, Since you say you had cranking problem - had to push hard/floor the clutch pedal for starting - and complained about it to TASS, My guess is (purely my guess), they might have adjusted the play a little too much. Meaning, in such a way that the clutch is not fully engaged when you release the pedal. More like riding on the clutch. May be the reason that the RPM is more than required for the speed. Then again, it is purely my guess.

You can let us know, at what point, when you release the clutch slowly, the car begins to move. If it is closer to the top most point of the release, then my guess may be correct.

Top Bottom