Overtaking 101

Well said Anil.

Here is word from the book on use of indicators:-
'Indicator lights are amber in colour and can be located at the front, the rear and sometimes at the side of the car on both the left and right hand sides. You use your indicators to show an intended change of direction, whether turning left or right or moving out into traffic.

You only need to use your indicators if other road users (vehicles, cyclists or pedestrians) are visible.

Use them in good time, giving other road users plenty of time to react and adapt to your signal.

Once you have completed the manoeuvre make sure the indicator has cancelled otherwise you may confuse other road users.'

Laws of the land applies here.

Rules book exist in India but there is no law hence rules are not followed.

Problem is 1 in 10 is aware of the rules. Bigger problem is 1 in 50 follows it religiously.

Rule for safe driving - When in doubt do not overtake.

Actual scenario on Indian roads - If I do not overtake I will miss my plane

ya it is very true. i have witnessed this many times.
this is because of lack of common sense or intentionally .

when i am going to overtake, honk the
horn twice(Day time) and flash headlight(Night time).
some will give way but some others don't[frustration].
some times this happens here as well. I get too impatient. But I MAKE them move. I dont back down.[:D]

There will be always someone on the road who would want to drive faster than you are! Lookout for those drivers and give them space when possible.

Simple rule.

Hey guys most of the time one must overtake from right.

You can also overtake from left only in following situations.

And you are not breaking any [rules].

1. You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intent to move right.
  2. You have signalled with indicator that you intend to turn left.
  3. Traffic in both the lanes is moving slowly, and when there is scope to go left which is moving quickly than right

On my recent trip to Tirupati, while I was on the NH 7 while going just before Jadcherla, a Ford Fiesta guy overtook me with just about 5ft of distance between me & him, I was on 90 & he was on 100 maybe, he came to the left lane because as usual a truck was in the right lane, however the twist is the distance between me & the truck is 50ft if not more, a little more closer to me I would have been in the hospital now & not posting this here. Oh the most ironic thing was he never honked & it happened in a matter of seconds, usually when I overtake I glance in my mirror if any vehicle is coming & then only I overtake.

Some interesting points on overtaking. In Karnataka and TN highways have not seen the "right indicator = Overtake" routine. Have seen in Westbengal and Bihar though. Guess each state has it own rules.

Right indicator=overtake!!!
How?Then what to do when one has to turn right?

As much I remember,my chauffeur taught me that if you don't want to change the lane and the one coming from back is disturbing you then simply indicate him just one blink and stop,do this with a gap of 2-3 seconds and he will understand thet he himself has to change the lane and overtake.

Some interesting points on overtaking. In Karnataka and TN highways have not seen the "right indicator = Overtake" routine. Have seen in Westbengal and Bihar though. Guess each state has it own rules.
That depends on mentality of drivers, usually lorries in Ghat section follow this method to let him overtake, that's the signal, but not the case with cars.

Right indicator=overtake!!!
How?Then what to do when one has to turn right?

As much I remember,my chauffeur taught me that if you don't want to change the lane and the one coming from back is disturbing you then simply indicate him just one blink and stop,do this with a gap of 2-3 seconds and he will understand thet he himself has to change the lane and overtake.
Blink, did you mean Hazard lamp?

Its not advisable as one may confuse the driver at the rear, whether he is stopping the vehicle in middle.
Hazard lamps are nowadays used at Bangalore-Mysore road to indicate an abrupt hump on road.
Btw my hawk gulps such humps at ease, but still i slow down at such humps.

Blink, did you mean Hazard lamp?

Its not advisable as one may confuse the driver at the rear, whether he is stopping the vehicle in middle.
Hazard lamps are nowadays used at Bangalore-Mysore road to indicate an abrupt hump on road.
Btw my hawk gulps such humps at ease, but still i slow down at such humps.
No dear,its not hazard lamp,its like you give indicator then switch it off,then again do it after two-three seconds for one second then again off,then again indicate for one second.
Its not hazard lights but only indicator in one direction.I am stil doubtful about this practice and hence never tried it yet.

When I am on the highway and am going over the speed limit, (which I normally have to do), I keep to the right lane and keep going even if some maniac driving faster than me comes behind me and honks or flashes his light.

But at the same time when I am driving slow or below the speed limit, I always stick to the left most lane.

And, I don't honk or flash my lights if some one is driving slower than me on the right lane. I just wait for the opportunity to overtake from the left lane when the left lane is free ahead and behind me. And I find this an easier way to drive on highways.

While driving on highways, some people believe that turning on the RHS indicator is to let the vehicle behind pass from the right. Some turn on the LHS indicator to do the same. Both are wrong. If you want to let someone to overtake, move over to the left lane, after indicating a lane change, and make way, that is, if you are not already in the left lane. If you are in the left lane, then stay put, no need to signal anything.

Someone mentioned about using hazard warning lamps while on the move - it's dead wrong. Hazard warning lights are to be used only when the car is stationary, and can be a potential hazard, or while the vehicle is being towed.

Last edited:
Rifht or left overtaking

I am a new driver driving 1 10. My car collied once when a car overtaked me from left & again next time whwn a car overtaked from right, i want to know how we will know that car overtaking from left or right is at safe distance from my car.i face no problem for the cars infront of me but cars coming from left or right give me a great confusion . Please help me urgently. I request administators to post my query for safety purpose

Re: Rifht or left overtaking

Always drive steadily and be sure you have a frequent look on every rear view mirrors of your car. If you suddenly encounter a pothole ahead, don't take a sharp left or right turn unless you are aware about the traffic around you, or else it will put you in high risk.

Top Bottom