Our First Used Car: Need Suggestions

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

Last year we sold our beloved Ford Ikon and due to lockdown we were not able to buy another car.
But finally now my family is looking to buy a used car preferably Honda city.
Honda as it got good resale value and added comfort, premium segment and style.
Have Skoda Rapid in family and it got maintenance issues. Maruti we dont want as its too. much common around.
  • Your Budget: Up to 4.3 lac max
  • New or Used: Used
  • Your Location: Mumbai
  • Top 5 Priorities: Low Maintenance, Safety, Comfort, Design
  • Monthly Running: up to 1k kms
  • Fuel Type: MT in Petrol & for AT either petrol/diesel will do.
  • Purpose Type: Mix
  • Seating Capacity: 4-5
  • Segment Type: Sedan
I saw few cheap deals on cars24 type sites and also on Olx and surprisingly found year 2013 and 2014 city for very well between 5.5 - 4.5. We wont mind paying a bit more if we are getting recent variants for a few bucks more.

Approached few local dealers to get market idea and when I told them about such deals on olx and other portals, they straightway said those are all faulty or unmaintained and accident cars etc. with fake info. posted and advised to stay away from them.
I thing they are just trying to blame those deals and refraining me from buying from open market and boosting their own sales. The same year models are available with them at a whopping 7 lacs or more cost with them.

Please guide me as I'm bit confused and also worried.

350Z

Core Team
I saw few cheap deals on cars24 type sites and also on Olx and surprisingly found year 2013 and 2014 city for very well between 5.5 - 4.5. We wont mind paying a bit more if we are getting recent variants for a few bucks more.
Hi there. Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India. Don’t run after cheap deals. Look out for cars which have a well-maintained aesthetic and technical condition. Preferably with record from an authorized service center. This will take some efforts and time (Inspecting a Used Car: An Exhaustive Guide). The asking price of Rs.5.5 Lakh for Honda City MT 2013-2014 models looks reasonable to me. Dealers and brokers will always charge much more than individual sellers. If at all you’re willing to shell out that premium, I’d recommend purchasing from certified pre-owned car sellers like Honda Auto-Terrace which atleast provide warranty and service record. It’s also true that sometimes dubious deals circulate around especially on free listing websites like OLX. Here's one example: Possible Scam Buying Old Car Through OLX, Quikr Etc.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Akash1886

Honoured Member
You can safely opt for a used Honda CITY Petrol. It is a fuss free car plus the 1.5 Ivtec is a gem of an engine. Rear space is too good and it still is a favorite of most of the car buyers in sedan segment. I myself had a CITY for 6.5 years.

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #4
You can safely opt for a used Honda CITY Petrol. It is a fuss free car plus the 1.5 Ivtec is a gem of an engine. Rear space is too good and it still is a favorite of most of the car buyers in sedan segment. I myself had a CITY for 6.5 years.

Regards
Akash
True. My few friends got 2 and I'm impressed by the ride quality and performance, its a bliss! But they aren't selling it anytime sooner.

Now that its already year 2021, is it wise or makes sense still going for that decade old Third Generation given 5th gen is already out?

Third Gen is selling from 2.9 to 4 while some 4th gen can be grabbed between 4-5. I'm only eyeing for SV & V variants.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Now that its already year 2021, is it wise or makes sense still going for that decade old Third Generation given 5th gen is already out?

Third Gen is selling from 2.9 to 4 while some 4th gen can be grabbed between 4-5. I'm only eyeing for SV & V variants.
Honda CITY Ivtec is a keeper. 3rd gen CITY was quite sporty and I vouch for that. The urban titanium shade was indeed very good color. Very less chrome and clean design was according to me the best part of that gen honda city. The 3rd gen had ground clearance issues but post the 3rd gen, the GC of CITY was improved to I guess 165mm from 160mm. If you get a good deal on the post 3rd gen CITY(s) then take any of your friends with you (who own CITY) and if all goes well, eyes closed, sign the deal and buy it.

Infact, by the end of this FY, I too am planning to re-buy the new CITY Ivtec for my mom. Most likely it will be ZX Manual. I was confused with diesel altroz top spec, base version Harrier & the CITY Ivtec VX or ZX. So, cleared the confusion, and now 99% it will be a CITY Ivtec. (1% is left for choosing vfm variant in petrol)[:D]

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #6
1609959189715.png

Is it ok today to buy this 3rd gen year 2011 - 2013?

These are the rates online which feels too costly for a 9yr old car.
yr 2k9 - 3lacs
2k10 - 3.5l
2k13 - 4.45l

1609959673364.png

This 2k14 model is available till 5.20l

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Bro, online prices by used car portals are often on higher side. They too include their profits in that. Firstly, 2011-2013 should not be more than 3.5L even if it is higher version model. 2014-15 model should not be costing more than 3.75 to 4.25 L. Check for deals in which you directly contact the owner. Do not include middle men like dealers. Don't go by car photos, do check in person. Photos can often be deceptive.

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #8
Bro, online prices by used car portals are often on higher side. They too include their profits in that. Firstly, 2011-2013 should not be more than 3.5L even if it is higher version model. 2014-15 model should not be costing more than 3.75 to 4.25 L. Check for deals in which you directly contact the owner. Do not include middle men like dealers. Don't go by car photos, do check in person. Photos can often be deceptive.

Regards
Akash
I contacted few direct sellers and they seem to have their own fantasies with the car and price. Hilarious! They want to sell for 4- 4.5l model 2011-2013yr.

Wondering what will AT variants cost then..

If you're really inclined towards sedan have a look for Toyota Etios, Xcent, verna

I guess they will be available under your budget and have relatively low maintenance costs

Only buy used cars from local dealers if you have good knowledge about inspecting cars and have spent a long time, I would suggest you go for spinny.
But on the other hand you might find a good deal on olx too keep looking

I contacted few direct sellers and they seem to have their own fantasies with the car and price. Hilarious! They want to sell for 4- 4.5l model 2011-2013yr.

Wondering what will AT variants cost then..
Everyone wants to make money so they will tell you their stories don't give much heed to them and stick to your negotiations.

Thread Starter #10
If you're really inclined towards sedan have a look for Toyota Etios, Xcent, verna

I guess they will be available under your budget and have relatively low maintenance costs

Only buy used cars from local dealers if you have good knowledge about inspecting cars and have spent a long time, I would suggest you go for spinny.
But on the other hand you might find a good deal on olx too keep looking

Everyone wants to make money so they will tell you their stories don't give much heed to them and stick to your negotiations.
We already have xcent, verna and the recent creta in our families so not much of a change for us.
Etiois shape I dont like esp. the rear it looks like entirely dented and buggy in design.

Dealers I will stay away as even if the car is fine they quote as if selling something a yr old thing.

Whats spinny btw?

We already have xcent, verna and the recent creta in our families so not much of a change for us.
Etiois shape I dont like esp. the rear it looks like entirely dented and buggy in design.

Dealers I will stay away as even if the car is fine they quote as if selling something a yr old thing.

Whats spinny btw?
Spinny is a used car buying service sadly only in delhi/ncr, they provide excellent deals with 1 year warranty on used cars.

Honda as it got good resale value and added comfort, premium segment and style.

Top 5 Priorities: Low Maintenance, Safety, Comfort, Design
Both these statements don't gel much.

If Low maintenance is your top priority, stay away from Honda (again, it's subjective and depends on what you are comparing with)
I was doing a comparison on this context for a different reason and not completed yet, posting the data compiled so far
Spares.jpg

- Price taken from Boodmo
- Genuine spares without any discount is considered (though we have multiple cheaper aftermarket options available)
- 2015~2017 models are considered

With available data Honda is 60% costlier than segment benchmark (Verna) and 45% higher than average of other 4 vehicles in this segment
I could have said this fact with the past experience with Honda City and Civic, still wanted to understand the current price.

Second on Safety, the very first thing I hate with Honda is pencil thin tires. On the build quality, I felt the 6th Gen onwards it lost it's charm

Both these statements don't gel much.

If Low maintenance is your top priority, stay away from Honda (again, it's subjective and depends on what you are comparing with)
I was doing a comparison on this context for a different reason and not completed yet, posting the data compiled so far View attachment 284451
- Price taken from Boodmo
- Genuine spares without any discount is considered (though we have multiple cheaper aftermarket options available)
- 2015~2017 models are considered

With available data Honda is 60% costlier than segment benchmark (Verna) and 45% higher than average of other 4 vehicles in this segment
I could have said this fact with the past experience with Honda City and Civic, still wanted to understand the current price.

Second on Safety, the very first thing I hate with Honda is pencil thin tires. On the build quality, I felt the 6th Gen onwards it lost it's charm
Nice comparison..
Just took brake pads as eg:, unless specifically looking for oems which are rebranded cum imported the 5k price tag justifies but we got alternative which lasts nearly same.. Honda City 2012: Brake Pad Replacement

I wouldn't mind considering Verna but again as said we already have it, ciaz is off budget else it was our choice, rapid or any vw no ways as seen many random breakdowns + parts are pricey. VW not truly made for Indian roads unless you drive it that carefully and maintain cut to cut. Dont want to risk.
Wouldn't mind Ford as an option but not getting which should be considered as last I drove was Ikon it was great back then before 2k10.

Thread Starter #14
Nice comparison..
Just took brake pads as eg:, unless specifically looking for oems which are rebranded cum imported the 5k price tag justifies but we got alternative which lasts nearly same.. Honda City 2012: Brake Pad Replacement

I wouldn't mind considering Verna but again as said we already have it, ciaz is off budget else it was our choice, rapid or any vw no ways as seen many random breakdowns + parts are pricey. VW not truly made for Indian roads unless you drive it that carefully and maintain cut to cut. Dont want to risk.
Wouldn't mind Ford as an option but not getting which should be considered as last I drove was Ikon it was great back then before 2k10.
Thanks for bump I will agree on these points. Ford was never on my mind but ciaz I like more than city but even 2k15 model selling well beyond 6l mark. Cant blame its maruti-suzuki eod trusted Indian car and best sell value.

Anyway the hunt continues.

Top Bottom