Optimus: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD. Long Term Ownership Review

bhvm

Honoured Member
another achilles heel is the 2nd row ac
This is a design Defect rather than Problem/ Issue.
The front Dashboard motor has about 10 vents to push through hence there is hardly any cooling from middle row vents. The 3rd row motor just has 2 vents hence is too strong.
My Fortuner had much better balance as 2nd and 3rd row blower was merged.

Thread Starter #482
This is a design Defect rather than Problem/ Issue.
The front Dashboard motor has about 10 vents to push through hence there is hardly any cooling from middle row vents. The 3rd row motor just has 2 vents hence is too strong.
My Fortuner had much better balance as 2nd and 3rd row blower was merged.
After your comment, I was just thinking if there is a way to merger the rear and 2nd row blowers in xuv or install some piping from the 3rd row blower to the roof of the 2nd row.
Let me know if you get any such ideas and the material that can be used without it looking too out of place.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Its easy but will look Ghetto and Ugly. You can use ducting pipe.
What I do is run 3rd row ac in speeds 2 or 3 and point the vents forwards. That helps cooling and it can be switched off from the dash when not needed.

Thread Starter #484
Its easy but will look Ghetto and Ugly. You can use ducting pipe.
What I do is run 3rd row ac in speeds 2 or 3 and point the vents forwards. That helps cooling and it can be switched off from the dash when not needed.
Because of the size and the glass area xuv's cooling is limited to the places where there is air flow.

Thread Starter #485
@bhvm : tried your technique of cooling the 2nd row of the car, it really helps. It will be tested more during my upcoming drive to Rajasthan next month.

I have finally changed the shoes for Optimus. Got the Yokohama Geolanders AT 235 section. costed me 10900 per piece with allignment and balancing. Had to pay for the weights though.

Before the change and wash, the next stop is painting the alloys wheel to give the vehice a mid life do over. After that a detailing job, and stickers on some places where there is paint peeling.

Before wash and change 1.JPG

Before wash and change 2.JPG

During wash
During Wash.JPG

Front right 1.JPG

Left Side 1.JPG

Right side 1.JPG

Right Side 2.JPG

Attachments

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Congratulations for the new tyres! Tread pattern is looking good and aggressive.
How is the ride with the new AT tyres?
I too wanted AT tyres when I was searching for new tyres last year, but backed out at the last moment as 95% I drive on tarmac only.

Thread Starter #487
Congratulations for the new tyres! Tread pattern is looking good and aggressive.
How is the ride with the new AT tyres?
I too wanted AT tyres when I was searching for new tyres last year, but backed out at the last moment as 95% I drive on tarmac only.
Even though I have driven only 40 kms on these tyres I am pretty much hooked on them. the vehicle seems to be very pliant and comfortable. They are still brand new and no breaking in has been done till now, I am assuming they will become more comfortable after a couple of hundred kilometers. In flesh they look much better than in pics.

Thread Starter #488
Hello All,

After thinking about for almost 1.5 years I have finally given my XUV to get the rear bumper repaired and scratches removed from the front one. The rear one has a nasty tear and has come out of its brackets from the left hand side, the left rear quarter panel has also suffered some damage due to which there is a peeling of paint, same goes for the rear passenger side door all thanks to my tug of war with a giant ass military vehicle with a solid metal bumper.

The passenger side front bumper and the fender has scratches which were created long back because of my misjudgement of a pillar in the parking.

For now I have given it to a local denting painting shop who have quoted me 11-12k for the job by repairing the bumper, I took a quote for the same from the service center with replacing the bumper the quote was for a whopping 35k, not including the front damages, because of which even with comprehensive inusrance I will still be out of 20k, so decided to take a risk.

PFB the pics of the damages. repair pics will be shared shortly in 3-4 days.

20210116_172402.jpg
20210118_165741.jpg
20210118_165815.jpg
20210118_165855.jpg
20210118_165924.jpg
20210118_165950.jpg
20210118_170007.jpg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Very nice! Well done.XUV is looking good.
The black plastic cladding is looking too black. Is it actually painted black or its just cleaning + polish?
I was scared that since XUV already has a stiff suspension setup,AT tyres will further harden up/worsen the ride quality with more tyre noise etc ,but both you and bhvm went for AT tyres. I want to know from your experience that how is the ride affected by AT tyres?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #492
Very nice! Well done.XUV is looking good.
The black plastic cladding is looking too black. Is it actually painted black or its just cleaning + polish?
I was scared that since XUV already has a stiff suspension setup,AT tyres will further harden up/worsen the ride quality with more tyre noise etc ,but both you and bhvm went for AT tyres. I want to know from your experience that how is the ride affected by AT tyres?
thanks Mayank. I think its just polish

AT tyres are feeling much better however, I changed my tyres after almost 7.5 years and so the rubber was already pretty hard and the ride was bumpy. But the ride after the change has been good so far, suspension overhaul /change and tyre change has made my life certainly easier on the highways.

bhvm

Honoured Member
AT tyres will further harden up/worsen the ride quality with more tyre noise etc ,but both you and bhvm went for AT tyres. I want to know from your experience that how is the ride affected by AT tyres?
Noise Is an Issue with AT tyres, Esp mine being Falkens are super aggressive compared to other brands.
There is not much difference in already stiff ride quality with Kickback when Car is empty. Decent luggage helps with Ride quality rather than Choice of tyres.

However the best benefit was with regards to Braking And Softroading Grip.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Actually my experience was like this :
OEM tyres were JK Elanzos. Tread was very aggressive looking as if it was an AT tyre. I was happy with the bad ass aggressive look of the treads . But the ride was super hard. No amount of loosing tyre pressure helped. I blamed suspension. Never doubted that tyre.
I changed to Bridgestones in 2019. Only then I realized the massive difference in ride quality. It became soft and cushy and comfortable ,without altering the dynamics. Road noises are muted now. Thuds on potholes are not felt bad anymore. It's like xuv is riding on a lawn with soft grass instead of tarmac.
Xuv should never have had Elanzos. They should always have been Bridgestones from the factory. I feel happy for those owners who were lucky with these tyre as OEM.
The tyreshop owner told me ,you will have the same ride as Elanzos if you choose pirelli scorpion ATs( over which I was drooling over for the tyre change ). He advised for normal tyres.
That scared me very much. Hence I asked you that question.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #495
Actually my experience was like this :
OEM tyres were JK Elanzos. Tread was very aggressive looking as if it was an AT tyre. I was happy with the bad ass aggressive look of the treads . But the ride was super hard. No amount of loosing tyre pressure helped. I blamed suspension. Never doubted that tyre.
I changed to Bridgestones in 2019. Only then I realized the massive difference in ride quality. It became soft and cushy and comfortable ,without altering the dynamics. Road noises are muted now. Thuds on potholes are not felt bad anymore. It's like xuv is riding on a lawn with soft grass instead of tarmac.
Xuv should never have had Elanzos. They should always have been Bridgestones from the factory. I feel happy for those owners who were lucky with these tyre as OEM.
The tyreshop owner told me ,you will have the same ride as Elanzos if you choose pirelli scorpion ATs( over which I was drooling over for the tyre change ). He advised for normal tyres.
That scared me very much. Hence I asked you that question.
I have never had bridgestones so dont have a base to compare :P

Top Bottom