Optimus: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD. Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #61
Re: Say Hello to Optimus: A Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 FWD

Went for a 150km weekend ride to Panshet Dam, Pune.

Optimus went up the steep slopes, broken roads, no roads, highway smooth tarmac without any discrimination.

We were a group of around 22 cars out of which only one was an XUV. At one point of route where the other cars were taking a long way around a steep broken patch of road, Optimus just glided over it. For the first time in my life it felt like I should take it out more often on broken roads and minor off roading as well.

Brake performance:

The Brakes behaved really well, no hiccups nothing. Found out for the first time that with Hill Descent ON the car will apply the brakes as soon as you take off your leg of the accelerator, and that the brake pedal freeplay reduces like anything.

AC Performance:

I was asked to lower the fan speed after a couple of minutes only. The car becomes like a cold storage after only a couple of minutes of AC operation.

Overall Performance:

Once I was planning to push my colleague's car onto a steep incline as he was stuck in between. refrained from the temptation [;)]

Squeaks and Random Noises:
Will be taking it out tomorrow to check for any squeaks in the cabin. I believe that if a normal vehicle can complete that route without any kind of squeaks coming at the end of it, it can withstand a good amount of thrashing.

Overall milleage returned 13+ (MID) in actual it should be around 12+. one side was 100% AC in ECON mode and the return was 0% AC. 70% ghats with broken and normal roads, 30% highway.

no pics as I was both the driver and the photographer, so I choose the former.

Hey friends,

I felt to post something and this is the correct thread for the same.

With the courtesy of kinshuk, I got my brass key chains today. I liked them and fixed one for my bike key and other one for my car key. Hope you also like them.

With the permission of kinshuk, I am posting pics of them here

Attachments

Thread Starter #63

Optimus got its first niggle:

The passenger side front window is making a krrr krrr sound while closing.
Have Notified my RM about it, according to him its just because of some lubrication and nothing more.

Have asked me to bring the vehicle to the SVC to get it rectified.

Anybody else faced this issue?

Kinshuk

Ahh, I had this krr krr many times on my Punto's window. That's the lubricant issue and also some dust that get stuck between the window glass and padding and motor..

EDIT: Please don't term it as niggle. It's not the vehicle's mistake. Bloody dusty environment is the culprit.

Last edited:

Optimus got its first niggle:

The passenger side front window is making a krrr krrr sound while closing.
Have Notified my RM about it, according to him its just because of some lubrication and nothing more.

Have asked me to bring the vehicle to the SVC to get it rectified.

Anybody else faced this issue?

Kinshuk
I do not call it as a niggle buddy !! I should be of a dust issue or lubrication only[:)]

In any case there is a part recall on motor window motor, have it double checked with your RM if yours need replacing as well.
Keeping a can of WD40 is always a good idea!

Thread Starter #67

@ RK and Dharmesh:

I didnt mean to call it a niggle.
just sitting on the fence for any kind of abnormal behavior and since this is my first so advanced vehicle I tend to get the jitters.

Kinshuk

@IR:

I checked from the online checker and my vehicle was not in the recalled batches.

Kinshuk

Last edited:
Thread Starter #68

Optimus went to the SVC for the first time today.

Main reason was to get that window checked. The window was rectified now no noise is coming.
I also mentioned to the RM about a slight pull to the left of the vehicle. They did the alignment. the alignment was a bit off.

While TDing the mechanic noted a slight sound coming from the suspension on sudden acc and sudden braking, and the hardness in the first gear.

got those fixed:

Sound was coming from the nuts and bolts which might have been slightly loose those were tightened.
for the gear they made some adjustments in the cables near the gear lever and the first gear is better than before but for a better result they asked me to leave Optimus in the SVC for 2 days so that they can check the gearbox, to which I denied.
will get it checked during the first service.

All in all a very good experience from the svc with '0' bill amount.

In any case there is a part recall on motor window motor, have it double checked with your RM if yours need replacing as well.
Keeping a can of WD40 is always a good idea!
WD 40 on rubber parts will still worsen the situation.

It makes the rubber brittle.

Hello kinshuk.arya, welcome to The Automotive India,

Sorry for reporting very late here, congrats for your Optimus, when i first saw the XUV on Bangalore roads, it was the same red colored one and the stance and build was so huge that the two wheeler started respecting this vehicle just like the Scorpio did when it was launched.

I'm already seeing these five pages of enthusiastic ownership of yours, congrats and happy motoring mate. [thumbsup]

Congratulations Kinshuk! A mean machine that one!
I am in love with this machine (PS - could be my next [:)]). Wish you many more happy miles. Will wait for your 1st Service experience.

Lovely Key chain too. Have fun!

Congrats on the XUV. There has been a lot of negative stuff written about the XUV in various place. But at this price there is no comparison. I feel it is a real VFM SUV.

Thats really great and yes I am also key chain fanboy !! for how much you got it done, if possible I will source one thru' you[:)]
I got it made from a nearby handloom fair, dont know how long it will be there.
You can also get these made in Mumbai close to Cafe Leopold.

Went for a 150km weekend ride to Panshet Dam, Pune.

Optimus went up the steep slopes, broken roads, no roads, highway smooth tarmac without any discrimination.

We were a group of around 22 cars out of which only one was an XUV. At one point of route where the other cars were taking a long way around a steep broken patch of road, Optimus just glided over it. For the first time in my life it felt like I should take it out more often on broken roads and minor off roading as well.

Brake performance:

The Brakes behaved really well, no hiccups nothing. Found out for the first time that with Hill Descent ON the car will apply the brakes as soon as you take off your leg of the accelerator, and that the brake pedal freeplay reduces like anything.

AC Performance:

I was asked to lower the fan speed after a couple of minutes only. The car becomes like a cold storage after only a couple of minutes of AC operation.

Overall Performance:

Once I was planning to push my colleague's car onto a steep incline as he was stuck in between. refrained from the temptation [;)]

Squeaks and Random Noises:
Will be taking it out tomorrow to check for any squeaks in the cabin. I believe that if a normal vehicle can complete that route without any kind of squeaks coming at the end of it, it can withstand a good amount of thrashing.

Overall milleage returned 13+ (MID) in actual it should be around 12+. one side was 100% AC in ECON mode and the return was 0% AC. 70% ghats with broken and normal roads, 30% highway.

no pics as I was both the driver and the photographer, so I choose the former.
WHat's the highest FE you have got for XUV 500? I have heard high FE figures of 18Km/Ltr which i seriously doubt.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #74

Hello kinshuk.arya, welcome to The Automotive India,

Sorry for reporting very late here, congrats for your Optimus, when i first saw the XUV on Bangalore roads, it was the same red colored one and the stance and build was so huge that the two wheeler started respecting this vehicle just like the Scorpio did when it was launched.

I'm already seeing these five pages of enthusiastic ownership of yours, congrats and happy motoring mate. [thumbsup]
Thank You Vishwas. It is definitely a traffic clearer.

Congratulations Kinshuk! A mean machine that one!
I am in love with this machine (PS - could be my next [:)]). Wish you many more happy miles. Will wait for your 1st Service experience.

Lovely Key chain too. Have fun!
Thanks TheG2.

Congrats on the XUV. There has been a lot of negative stuff written about the XUV in various place. But at this price there is no comparison. I feel it is a real VFM SUV.

You can also get these made in Mumbai close to Cafe Leopold.
Thanks P3T3R, but with the recent increase in prices I dont think it can be termed as VFM anymore.

WHat's the highest FE you have got for XUV 500? I have heard high FE figures of 18Km/Ltr which i seriously doubt.

Regards,
Sankar
The highest FE MID has shown me is 18kmpl. XUV's MID does not show more than 18kmpl. the overall actual FE I have gotten is 13+ over 1400 kms which includes some ghat rides, one trip to Mumbai in peak mumbai traffic ans several jaunts in Pune with no to heavy traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom