Optimus: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD. Long Term Ownership Review

Re: Say Hello to Optimus: A Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 FWD

The Optimus crossed the 1000km mark today....

Till now it is going niggle free.... except for one small thing, was quite irritated with a whistling sound that used to come at speeds of 70-80kmph... was able to hear the sound only with windows rolled down.....

Today i found out that it was the side rear view mirror against the wind....

How I found out? I used to get similar sound inside my helmet on one particular road at one particular speed, as soon as I used to lift my visor or change my helmet the sound used to go. so thought it might be something similar... and voila.....[lol]

Have completed one pune-mumbai-pune in long drives and the rest is city traffic.

My Observations till now.

1. An absolute delight to drive.
2. doesnt break a sweat even after touching 150 (took it to 150 once just to see if the 150kmph buzzer is working or not).
3. People give way even if you flash them once.
4. quite tedious to find a parking spot for this vehicle
5. Slight squeaking noise from front right at speeds of 70-80kmph. will not hear it if the windows are rolled up or you are in traffic.
6. put down the back seat and I was able to transport a small fridge, an oven and many other stuff which it just gobbled down. Amazing boot space
7. Precise Steering. played NFS on mumbai roads once as I was in a bit of hurry and the brakes and steering never disappointed. Although would love to have a little more bite from the brakes.

Optimus returning a milleage of 18+ Non AC on highways and around 17 with AC. In the city without ac around 14 and with AC around 13.
Nice to read you are enjoying your ride. FE figures are quite impressive as well.

Thanks Dharmesh.... I was actually thinkin of sticking the carbon fibre vinyl on the vinyls first.... still exploring this idea.... will see where it goes....
This video might help you.

How to Carbon Fiber Vinyl your wheels!!! DIY for Cheap n Easy - YouTube

Thread Starter #18

^^^^ Thanks Dharmesh. This is exactly what I was thinking.

Any ideas where I can buy the carbon fiber vinyl and how much it will cost?? Will have to gift my fiance a hair dryer now.[;)]

Last edited:

Thank you Akash. Dont quite understand the funda behind reps but got the gist.
I am sure you would have got the funda of the reputation points[;)].

BTW, please avoid use of excessive dots in your future post. I have edited the previous post of yours[:)].

congratulation on your new acquisition. I also acquired my steel gray beast last month. Clocked 1000 kms & thrilled with the drive. Planning trip to Ladakh in June -July. Lucky [:)] you got a lot of freebies. The landed cost in Bangalore was 16.3L and only the floor mat & Teflon (so claimed by the dealer) thrown in. I am curious to to know what is this beeper @ 150 km.

Thread Starter #23

congratulation on your new acquisition. I also acquired my steel gray beast last month. Clocked 1000 kms & thrilled with the drive. Planning trip to Ladakh in June -July. Lucky [:)] you got a lot of freebies. The landed cost in Bangalore was 16.3L and only the floor mat & Teflon (so claimed by the dealer) thrown in. I am curious to to know what is this beeper @ 150 km.
Congratulations cpsatish and thanks.

Yeah I did get a lot of goodies and the best part is all are useful ones.

When THe XUV crosses 150kmph there is an alarm reminding the driver about the speed, because in this vehicle 150 feels like less than 100 on open roads.

Congrats on your new cheetah. Welcome to the club!
Thanks BHargavchak.

Nice write up.. Congratulations! and welcome to TAI.
So how is the feel of holding the cheetah at your command? Red looks real nice. Enjoy your drive.

Thread Starter #25

Nice write up.. Congratulations! and welcome to TAI.
So how is the feel of holding the cheetah at your command? Red looks real nice. Enjoy your drive.
Thank You krish_go,

The Cheetah just wants me to let go of the reins.....

Took the Optimus for a high speed drag types round on the nearby empty highway.

4th gear 3500rpm and I was touching 160kmph. [clap]
Rolled up the windows and the speed felt like somewhere around 90-100.
Thank You Mahindra for the buzzer at 150kmph.

Thank You krish_go,

The Cheetah just wants me to let go of the reins.....

Took the Optimus for a high speed drag types round on the nearby empty highway.

4th gear 3500rpm and I was touching 160kmph. [clap]
Rolled up the windows and the speed felt like somewhere around 90-100.
Thank You Mahindra for the buzzer at 150kmph.
please drive with caution.

speed thrills but also kills.

my 2 cents.

Thread Starter #27

please drive with caution.

speed thrills but also kills.

my 2 cents.
Totally Agree Superbad.

My normal speeds are less than 100kmph even on highways.

this was just a once in a long while adrenaline rush.

Last time I tried the Top Speed of my bike was more than an year ago.

Totally Agree Superbad.

My normal speeds are less than 100kmph even on highways.

this was just a once in a long while adrenaline rush.

Last time I tried the Top Speed of my bike was more than an year ago.
it was more to mention that your car is in the run in period, so avoid going past 2500 rpm for the first 1000kms.

a new engine has the most friction in the pistons etc and straining the engine early on does reduce the longevity of the engine.

Thread Starter #29

The Optimus actually completed a 1000kms day before yesterday....

I was about to post the first 1000km update, here it goes:

Performance:

In the Performance department this is The Most powerful thing I have ever driven. The way one gets pushed into seats under hard acceleration makes you wanting for more but alas the great Indian roads. I wish I lived closer to a race track.

Optimus easily touches triple digit figures without even breaking a sweat or the loud engine noises in the higher rpm band unlike many other cars. It just loves to be pushed hard. But until now because of run in haven't pushed hard. However, pushed it twice just for the feel of it.

The vehicle can cruise at 100-110 6th gear for a full tank without getting hot or stress.

Milleage:

The milleage as of now is 13.8 kmpl.

the breakup is as follows:

HIghway cruising no AC: 18+
Highway cruising AC: 17+
City cruising no AC: 15+
city cruising AC: 14+
city bumper to bumper non AC: 12+
city bumper to bumper AC: 10+

Features:

Hill Hold and Hill Descent: Hill hold is one of the best features of this vehicel. works perfectly well. Gives you a 4second window to take your foot of the brake and on to the accelerator. I did not like the Hill descent very much though. Applies the brakes with a jerk. I will control my own brakes and engine braking no need of help from the computer, thank you very much.

Infotainment System:

1. Music: Have tried music with CD, Bluetooth and Radio, everything works fine. havent yet tried the USB. The entire system is good enough for me. Dont see myself upgrading anything in the infotainment system in the future. Bass is good.

2. Integration with Phone: Just pair your phone and turn on the bluetooth, Optimus automatically recognises the device and connects. BT pairing is good. Able to receive calls from my Nokia C5-03 without any hassles. However, making a call from the device is troublesome takes a long time to connect. its better to make a call from the phone itself and let the speakers and mic route it via the bluetooth.

3. GPS: the MMI maps are a bit of a pain to use and likes to roam around a lot. I like my Nokia OVI maps more and confirm the location from OVI maps before starting on the path suggested by MMI. the interface is easy enough though.

4. Car Info: car info hasnt given any kind of trouble till now. The MID shown milleage is pretty much accurate.

5. Cruise Control: Absolute delight and a must have for long drives.

6. Headlights and their accessories: loved the auto head lamp feature, the projectors (a perfect cut off), the DRL. high beam throw. However for long rides in the night I am thinking of upgrading to HID units in both Low and High beam.

Air Conditioning unit:

If I turn on the AC for a long time my hands will freeze on the steering itself. Its better to roll down the windows in winters and drive than to roll up and let the AC do what it is supposed to do in summers. One hell of a chiller.

Braking:

Braking is upto the mark till now. no grinding noise nothing. However I would like to have a little more bite and a little less freeplay. Will be checking with my RM for the new designed brake pedals and pads.

Drive Comfort
The first thing my friend said after sitting on the front passenge seat was "how come you cant sleep in it?'
The seats are that comfortable. Even on high speeds, potholes, my fiance is comfortable to have a sound sleep in the car and be all refreshed after reaching the destination.

Cleaning
The biggest problem with any car this size is cleaning. Currently I have a Jopasu duster kit which works very well for the dry dust. will be getting a few more accessories and cleaning supplies over a couple of months. till then Optimus will get an exterior and cinterior cleaning by professionals.

just one small issue hearing some sound when the front passenger window is rolled up. not much of an issue will ask my RM about it.

All in All, I juts cant appreciate the vehicle enough.

Kudos to Mahindra for developing this vehicle.

Congrats for your new beast. [;)]
Its really nice to see how mahindra hand over the key in that nice padded box.

As you pointed out about the feel from the brakes, even I felt the same when I took a TD.

Top Bottom