Old is Gold: Maruti 800 DX Ownership Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #46

350Z

Core Team
Re: Old is Gold: Maruti 800 DX 21,000 Kms Ownership Review

Done the servicing and a fair amount of improvement is noticeable. I will be posting full details of service in this thread. Also, from sometime, the car was having very low initial pick-up response, upon inspecting further came to know that Clutch assembly has gone kaput. This costs around Rs.5,000 (For 5 Speed Maruti 800 / Rs.3,000 for 4 Speed ). I’m going to replace it next weekend.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Vibhor, I also had this car 5 speed 800 dx. It was pretty decent and neat to drive. I had sold my old 800 and bought this one. Sold after 4 yrs when I bought it. IMHO, retain it if you can. Only -ve is it rattles after 25k kms. Its really good to drive in city.

Thread Starter #48

350Z

Core Team

Does anybody know how much amount should be fair enough to pay for Labour Charges while replacing the entire Clutch Assembly? I cross-checked with a couple of authorized workshops and there’s a big difference between both.

Vibhor, I also had this car 5 speed 800 dx. It was pretty decent and neat to drive. I had sold my old 800 and bought this one. Sold after 4 yrs when I bought it. IMHO, retain it if you can. Only -ve is it rattles after 25k kms. Its really good to drive in city.
Light structure and rattles are the only major flaws about which I'm afraid. Otherwise it really is a capable car worth each penny.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #49

350Z

Core Team

Sorry, forgotten to update this thread. The entire clutch assembly was replaced from another authorized workshop for approximately Rs.4,500.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #52

350Z

Core Team

I know and that is sad. If I remember correctly - this has been the most expensive repair on my Maruti 800. Even the 5-Speed clutch assembly was also not readily available at the workshops.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Sorry if I am pestering in your thread but I thought it will not be worthwhile to create a separate thread. We are also having a 1998 maruti 800, run about 57K and I have lost my manual. I wanted to know the following points:

*I am having a cut-cut sound from just below the driver's seat, what can it be due to.
*I have not changed the break pads till now, should I get it changed because I am feeling that the breaks are working less effectively now.
* Should I get done the suspension overhaul?
Could any body please help me out with these and the approximate costs.
Thanks

Do you hear the sound when you are gradually increasing the speed or while turning the car. If so then the dry shafts needs an overhaul.

Break pads definitely needs a change now IMO. Suspension may also require a overhaul or a change.

Max of 15-20k for all these.

Do you hear the sound when you are gradually increasing the speed or while turning the car. If so then the dry shafts needs an overhaul.

Break pads definitely needs a change now IMO. Suspension may also require a overhaul or a change.

Max of 15-20k for all these.
It is exactly when I am increasing my speed and at higher speeds it goes away.
I forgot to add one thing, steering is also feeling hard now, I don't know whether it is due to me using Power steering in other car or what. My question is when should one go for steering column replacement(or there is a overhaul for that as well)?

It is exactly when I am increasing my speed and at higher speeds it goes away.
I forgot to add one thing, steering is also feeling hard now, I don't know whether it is due to me using Power steering in other car or what. My question is when should one go for steering column replacement(or there is a overhaul for that as well)?
Dry Shaft needs a overhaul. Just listen to the sound from which direction it comes left or right so that you can replace that side alone. Max price of 800 dry shaft new one will be 2k not more than that.

I dont think steering column will need a replacement. But anyway get it checked.

Thread Starter #59

350Z

Core Team

Ha! Yet another puncture. I have lost the count of punctures which have happened with my car up till now. I think, it's safe enough to say that I'm totally experienced to replace flat tyres. On this occasion - thought to prepare a guide on the same. Do have a look: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...guide-how-quickly-replace-punctured-tyre.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #60

350Z

Core Team

This is the total cost incurred to replace entire clutch assembly for Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. The car is now about to clock 28,000 Kilometers.

Maruti_800_5Speed_Clutch_Cost.JPG

Drive Safe,
350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom