No Puncture but Air Pressure Getting Low in Bridgestone Tyres

Thread Starter #1
I have got Bridgstone stock tyres on my Vista, The problem is with the tyre on front left wheel. I regularly check the air pressure whenever I refill at fuel stations. I found air pressure in that particular tire way below the expected pressure . i.e. sometimes as low as 10 psi. But I never noticed total pressure drop. Finally I decided to check it for any puncture.

DIY- JOB.( One of my friend works with JK tyres as Area service Manager- Thanks to him for the tubeless repair kits- as long as he is there I need not buy them!)

Removed the tyre, first I washed it, cleaned it to find out the damage/ culprit.
But I ended up just rotating the Tyre, for 20 mins, but did not found anything. i was about to doubting my eye sight, and home minister commented the same,
I offered her to check it and found it for me.She tried it for 5-10 mins.

But [frustration] nothing found.No options left for me than took the tyre to near by Puncturewala-

Kya hua saab?( I could sense- bakara AA gaya )- I asked him to just fill the air till 40 psi, and find a puncture in the tyre for me some kind of challenge for him. He gave me dirty look [glasses]. I asked him to do what I said.

Filled 40 psi air, tyre immersed in water, I was there to guide him, I asked him not to hurry as it might be very minute puncture. He started rotating the tyre slowly. We did the exercise twice, I was watching it closely.
Nothing Found!

Was happy to listen, there is no puncture in tyre from Puncturewala- Guys Imagine If I would have just left the Tyre with the puncturewala, as many guys do. At the time of collecting back he would have told me Saab 2 puncture tha! - and I would have ended up paying 200 Rs and without solving my problem.
I told the problem to puncturewala- as he is the domain expert for tyres ( I also work as domain expert/ SME- but not in tyres though!) and thought that he must be having some idea about the problem.
His reply- Saab, yeh sab hamare samaz ke bahar hai! Maine to aapke samne do bar tyre check kiya, ab puncture nahi hai to main kya karu?

He was absolutely correct- His job is to fix the puncture!(If it is found in front of the customer)
Puncturewala did not ask for a single penny for this- Thanked him and Wished him Happy Diwali!

Now the problem remains unsolved, came back home, Removed the spare tyre from the boot, fitted the same, and moved the problematic tyre in the boot. A temporary solution! Called my friend who works with JK tyre- As these are very normal problems for him. He explained to me that this can happen with new tyres, and air pressure may drop without external puncture. He said not to worry,he will call one of the guy he knows from Bridgstone and he will contact me.

My friend said that I should get it replaced under warranty from Bridgstone, and they may charge 5 % cost for the same.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem earlier? If yes please let me know what you did to get rid of it.

Thanks in Advance![thumbsup]

Last edited:
Re: Strange problem with Bridgestone Stock Tyre on My Vista

remove the tyre from the rim and check it to find out any cause for slow leakage of air.

Remove the tyre from rim and refix. that must help.
check the mouth of the tyre.

If you are getting another tyre in warranty after the inspection by bridgestone , just go ahead.

@Drivetech4: The culprit is the air oozing out through the rims.
I had a similar problem of tyre losing air, esp the front left one.
Even mine were Bridgestone Dueler's, prior to that the valve was replaced, but that did not solve the problem.
Tyres were filled upto 42 psi and was slowly being checked in water, there was air oozing out from the space in between alloys rim.
Once they remove the tyre, inside of rim must have formed a rust, which will be removed by filing that portion, and then the tyre is refixed.
Before sealing the tyre to rim, they smear the circumference of tyre with a white sealant.

In the pic look for the arrow, which area you need to concentrate, when the tyre is put in water to look for air leak.
The leak is marginally less which can be noticed in still water.
Which they will mark in yellow color marker to pin point the leakage point.

Hope this helped.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5

@Mukesh, Thanks ! Even I do feel the same. But doubt that there will be rust as the car is just 3 months old and the problem I am noticing since almost 2 months! Though I will check it out. Thanks for your inputs guys !
And happy Diwali to all!

Yes it could be because of valve as well. Sometimes they leak air in minute quantities. Get it replaced, as it is cheap and you will be able to pin point problem then.

hi drivetech4,
Rust on the rims is probably the culprit here. I had started a similar thread for air leaking problem in my zen. Although your car is just 3 months old, its difficult to comment about those steel rims. If the anti rust coat is gone during manufacturing or handling the rims can rust. The monsoon season has just ended. Besides its difficult to endorse the actual manufacturing date of the rims. I suggest you take the tyre out and inspect the rim thoroughly.
BTW DO YOU NEED A BETTER OCCASION TO MOVE UP TO ALLOYS THAN THIS?[;)]
ITS EASIER TO CONVINCE THE HOME MINISTER (SOS FINANCE MINISTER) AS WELL:lol!:

Thread Starter #11
hi drivetech4,
Rust on the rims is probably the culprit here. I had started a similar thread for air leaking problem in my zen. Although your car is just 3 months old, its difficult to comment about those steel rims. If the anti rust coat is gone during manufacturing or handling the rims can rust. The monsoon season has just ended. Besides its difficult to endorse the actual manufacturing date of the rims. I suggest you take the tyre out and inspect the rim thoroughly.
BTW DO YOU NEED A BETTER OCCASION TO MOVE UP TO ALLOYS THAN THIS?[;)]
ITS EASIER TO CONVINCE THE HOME MINISTER (SOS FINANCE MINISTER) AS WELL:lol!:
I am in dilemma regarding alloys, actually I want to upsize the shoes along with alloys, but the cost will go rocket high with the upsizing.
Two options-
  1. Wait for the stock tyres to worn out- then upsize and go for 15 " alloys.
  2. Put 14 " alloys with stock tyres, for now.
Convincing the home minister is not a problem, anyways I am the sole finance minister![thumbsup]
Did you installed alloys on your zen? when are you coming back?

1. Wait for the stock tyres to worn out- then upsize and go for 15 " alloys.
Up sizing tyres from 14" to 15" would void warranty of the car, would recommend you to speak to friendly TASS guy before you actually do this and also please read the warranty documents.

Thread Starter #13
Up sizing tyres from 14" to 15" would void warranty of the car, would recommend you to speak to friendly TASS guy before you actually do this and also please read the warranty documents.
Thanks me.cube29 for pointing out the warranty validity, Yes I have checked the same during delivery it self, according to the dealer Upsizing to 15 " does not affect the warranty.
But no plans of upsizing soon.[thumbsup]

Sorry guys for OT!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Well sorry for the delay, but here is the update about the problem.
I took the car to the bridgstone service engineer at their office at nucleus mall Camp, they were very co-operative and helpful.we drove the Car to the near by well known tyre shop i.e. Darshan Tyres in camp near nucleus mall.
As I mentioned earlier I kept that wheel as a spare wheel, when it was taken out for inspection there was surprise, there was no pressure drop.As I had filled around 40 psi air for cheking the puncture, it was 40 psi even after 15 days. That means the air was escaping while running.The service engineers inspected the tyre by dismantling it off the rim.Nothing unusual found, changed the valve, cleaned the rim and again assembled on rim. Checked for any leakage, at three different pressure ranges.Nothing found.Wheel replaced with the rear left wheel, Service Engineers asked me to keep it under observation. I checked Air pressure thrice in two weeks and there is no drop.
So the problem has gone! Not sure why and what was happening.

Thanks!

As I mentioned earlier I kept that wheel as a spare wheel, when it was taken out for inspection there was surprise, there was no pressure drop.
Bhaai... I understand. At times, it's really a pain when these stuff makes us to stand fool in front of others... It's like you can neither escape from the stale look of others that you are wasting their time nor, be happy that the problem doesn't exisit anymore. The worst part is, those issues re-appear / recur again only to us... [frustration]

Top Bottom