No More Mobile Phone Roaming Charges Across States

Aircel Bids Goodbye To roaming with 'One Nation, One Rate'

There has been news in regards to abolishing roaming in the past few months, Aircel seems to be the first telecom company that has introduced a special tariff recharge that helps you kiss roaming goodbye. The product is dubbed as 'One Nation, One Rate' and claims to offer one rate for Voice, SMS and Data in home circles and on roaming.

Aircel bids goodbye to roaming with 'One Nation, One Rate' | NDTV Gadgets

Free National Roaming By October 2013

Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal has reiterated that free national mobile roaming is not only on the cards, but he went further to state that this will happen by October this year. As reported by NDTV, Sibal was speaking on the sidelines of the launch of the National Internet Registry (NIR), which will be India's very own agency to manage IP address allocation with the aim of reducing cost, as the country moves from IPv4 to IPv6. The National Telecom Policy (NTP) 2012 had announced last year that it plans to make roaming free across the country.

Sibal said, "TRAI has floated a consultation paper on it (national free roaming). So when TRAI 's recommendations come and after that, we will try to start free roaming before October". Currently, subscribers have to pay significant roaming charges for calls and SMSes. While the minister did not specifically state it, as a result of this move, subscribers will be able to retain their mobile numbers even after moving to another circle.

Mobile operators are not too happy about this though, as the move will require major changes in infrastructure and policy, but only benefit 10% of the total subscriber base that actually uses national roaming. Already reeling under the aftermath of the 2G spectrum scam and the looming prospect of a licence re-auction, the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) had expressed its displeasure, stating "...you are making the industry go through a churn for something that benefits only 10% of customers".

Another thorny issue in the implementation is the matter of inter-connect charges, which is the amount paid by one operator when its subscriber uses another operator's infrastructure while roaming, for circles where the former does not have sufficient coverage. Since mobile providers stand to lose on both roaming and inter-connect charges with the new policy, they might feel the need to hike call rates to make up for lost revenue.

Incidentally, 3G roaming is still illegal, according to a diktat of the Department of Telecommunications (DOT), and we can probably expect the decision to be upheld in the next NTP. The overall effect of the decision to allow free roaming will benefit a small minority, while the overwhelming majority that doesn't roam may now need to brace for a price hike if telecom operators decide to increase overall tariff to offset its revenue loss. Do you think that free roaming will be implemented by October 2013?

Free National Roaming By October 2013: Sibal | TechTree.com

Re: Free National Roaming By October 2013

Its long time the G has been fooling people on this Roaming free by TRAI, but its postponed twice benifiting Telecom companies, god know what scam in there [lol], it was scheduled to be on FEB, but now again pushed

Sure they would implement it during Elec times, but most of the people have learned their lessons and are not fools

Really to my surprice Aircel offered me Roaming less internet over kerala and karnataka.
Have testen that but dont have any idea on incoming calls.

Hmm,

Hope its get implemented as said by Sibal this time will benefit me while on roaming due to my travel.

I have opted for a 3G plan of Airtel today, how that would be while on roaming in overall.

I believe from my past knowledge that there are zones for every N/W. south, east, north and west.
I am mostly aware of South so posting this.
South includes KA/TN/KL and AP.
If your package entitles into these region, Roaming charges are "0". And may be that why Raj, you did not get charged.

Hmm,

Hope its get implemented as said by Sibal this time will benefit me while on roaming due to my travel.

I have opted for a 3G plan of Airtel today, how that would be while on roaming in overall.
Good choice sir
Always great speed in 2g and 3g.
Network coverage is also nice.
Incoming calls roamings are applied as 1 rs.
Data has a greater roaming soo be careful before using that.

I believe from my past knowledge that there are zones for every N/W. south, east, north and west.
I am mostly aware of South so posting this.
South includes KA/TN/KL and AP.
If your package entitles into these region, Roaming charges are "0". And may be that why Raj, you did not get charged.
Really great info sir.
I have asked a aircel guy he replied thats your luck.but im charged for incoming calls.
BTW what about your pondy visit sir ?

roaming internet is free if neighboring state i believe. when i was in india in june, i had 3G pack and used all over in Bihar and as well as UP. but in Delhi it did not work.

Top Bottom