"No Horn" Driving Method

101% correct!!!!
But, what had you done if that happened to you??
Obviously, i don't want anyone to meet such idiots on wheels, but just want some points what should have i done if someone blocks my lane just for the sake of his wild overtaking maneuver?? And abuse me on top of that.

Thread Starter #17
101% correct!!!!
But, what had you done if that happened to you??
Obviously, i don't want anyone to meet such idiots on wheels, but just want some points what should have i done if someone blocks my lane just for the sake of his wild overtaking maneuver?? And abuse me on top of that.
This question sort of traps me ... Brought up in Village, where "Right is right and Wrong is wrong", for decades I wanted to teach idiots a lesson... When someone needed me to show down to compensate their stupidity, i had NOT slowed down 99% times. I had left them stranded face to face with trucks/busses in the wrong lane... I had mildly touched them (by not applying brakes)... lifted them off their bikes/feet... i was ready for a fight & ready to waste my time. With advices, my driving style got polished over the years; yet certain level of aggression was there ... till this NO HORN thingy entered my life and helped me discover 'a hidden me'.

Now, more than my Ego, "my Time & my Humane Level" are important for me. Not gonna compromise them over idiotic animals on the Roads.

PS: Animals cannot read. Hence they don't respect or obey Traffic Rules. Do we charge at a dirty Pig charging at us ?

Thread Starter #19
Somehow i managed to stick to my forced "Driving without Honking" Rule and completed THREE months; and it's been Good [angel]

In residential areas, i simply follow People wthout honking; i found that 40% drivers following me also don't honk. Mostly the walkers realise it within a short distance, move away and give a wide grin.

My Self-ban helps other drivers in their unplanned 'merging, cutting lanes, U-Turns etc'; let them think they are street smart; i don't care.

Even now, on an Avg, i honk may be 4 times a week. In residential areas, if i hear a honk, i honk back. Otherwise i slow down to cross/turn.

Basically my speed has dropped (even on NHs) and i have grown MORE tolerant.

Note: Wouldn't recommend this to Learners. My daughter was tensed when i imposed 'no honking'. Once i lifted ban, she became immediately relaxed[lol]

Thread Starter #20
My resolve on NO HONKING got dented, after i met with a small accident on 18th June 2019. Link to the accident is here. In a nutshell, my honking has increased two fold, after this accident.

Bikes / Scooters: Those without Rear View Mirror come under Special Category --- the owner's mind set and character are publicly announced. Simply i don't see a purpose in honking at these Macho-men; in traffic jams, they drive as if they are running away from a disaster but ON FREE ROADS, they drive S..L...O....W..... blocking the entire lane. i don't see a purpose in honking ... i use them as my FREE Pilot Vehicles [;)] ... Jokes apart, these guys don't care about Rules and it is not my job to educate them. Moreover, the 5 minutes that i might save, won't make me rich enough to buy a Tesla. Yet, sometimes i do honk, if i get too much irritated ; when reminded, most of them give way while the rest prove that Monkeys can drive [frustration] .

Auto-ricks: i gave up. i decided NOT to honk at Autoricks. Yesterday, two autoricks halted side-by-side and drivers were busy reviewing Plans to ensure India's Semi Final spot. i stopped and waited for them to move; when they failed to see my White color Verna in the blinding white snow in B'lore at 4:30 pm, even after 10 seconds, i flashed my headlights. One autorick moved. BUT, my no-horn method succeded [thumbsup]

Stationary vehicles: IF i am NOT sure 'what a Stationary vehicle is going to do', i give a mildly long Honk for my safety. Last Sunday evening, in spite of my little Honk, a Celerio driver almost touched my Verna's front left; as expected he merged without indicators or hand signals. i am still wondering what to do with these guys.

Tractor-Trailer: Strictly NO-HORN. The drivers are helpless.

Buses & Trucks: i continue to be cautious with them inside City limits. Some BMTC Buses halt before a 'Next Stop' for ticketing purposes (i guess). The driver is bit tensed to report on Time to the Timing Clerk (i guess); When the Conductor gives the whistle, mostly he merges without any indicator and looking behind. A long Honk makes them traffic aware :-)

Let's see if i can go back to me earlier 3-4 times a week. God help me.

Very Interesting topic for me. From last 4 or 5 years I am trying to reduce the use of Horn. In Bengaluru city I normally don't honk as it is of no use and commuting speed is around 15 km per hour. But whenever I drive to my native, which is a village in Malnad area where roads are winding with ups and downs I use to honk whenever I find two wheelers normally connect to main road from cross roads. Gradually I reduced that tendency and now from last 8 months my car is running without horn. Not avoided intentionally but the old horn gave up and I am yet to fix a new horn[lol]

Top Bottom