Nissan Rolls Out One Lakh Micra Hatchbacks

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
one-lakh-nissan-micra.jpg

Just in over a year, Nissan has today announced the production of 1,00,000th Micra in India. Please follow the Press Release below which mentions about their upcoming Sedan (Nissan Sunny) by this year end and New commercial vehicle by next year. You can also read our road test of Micra: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/test-drive-reviews/2067-nissan-micra-road-test-review.html

Chennai, 16 June 2011 - Employees at the Renault Nissan Alliance plant in Chennai, India are celebrating today after producing their 100,000th Micra in just over a year. The first Micra compact hatchback rolled off the production line in May 2010. Since then the workforce has expanded to nearly 4,000 (from an original 1,500) to meet demand from within India and across the world. The 45-billion Rupee (990 Mn USD) facility is the first dedicated Renault-Nissan Alliance vehicle manufacturing plant, and the 4th generation of the iconic Micra is the first model to be produced there. It will be joined later this year by an all-new global sedan, and in 2012 a commercial vehicle will be added to the line-up as part of a joint venture with Ashok Leyland Ltd. Since its launch in India last July the Nissan Micra has driven a sales boost within the market, with over 15,000 units sold to date. The innovative Micra is also produced at plants in Thailand, Mexico and China.

Chennai, which will have an overall plant capacity of 400,000 units at full ramp up, will ultimately supply Micra to over 100 countries across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. To date nearly 70,000 units have been shipped from the nearby Ennore deep water port. Gilles Normand, Nissan Corporate Vice President for Africa, the Middle East and India, commented: “I would like to congratulate everyone associated with the Chennai plant on reaching what will be the first of many production milestones. “The plant, which provides us with a skilled and localised production base, is a key part of our strategy for profitable and sustainable growth within India, and Micra’s success is only the first step in realising our potential within this market. “Chennai is also crucial in terms of manufacturing high-volume, high-quality products for export to many world markets. With the continued strong support of the Tamil Nadu government, I hope that the facility will develop into one of Nissan’s most important production hubs.”

In addition to Micra, Nissan also sells the X-TRAIL lifestyle SUV, Teana sedan and 370Z sports car in India. By 2013, Nissan is aiming to have 85% coverage of the Indian market by expanding the number of dealers from 35 to over 100. Managing Director and CEO of the Chennai Plant, Kou Kimura, added: “I am very proud of the effort that our Chennai staff, supported by our suppliers, have made to produce 100,000 Micras in such a short period of time. “Today’s announcement not only reflects Micra’s popularity - both domestically and within export markets - but also Nissan’s long-term commitment to India.”
Drive Safe,
350Z

Wow 1Lakh car so soon? A big congratulations to Nissan from my side , never expected the Micra to do so well in the market! Now they should also concentrate on developing the dealership network.

The break up of export & Indian Micra must be around 3:1. Even with wafer thin dealer network, Micra is off to a decent start in India. If they price the diesel variant more competitively & equip it with ABS+ Airbags, things would move even faster.

Micra has been a internationally successful model in earlier iterations and present model (k 13) is no different. Congratulations!

AMG

Suspended
Europe is a big fan of quirky looking cars, and I expect more than 75% sales to be in europe.

Nissan has surely done wonder by achieving those numbers even with such a small service network. Congrats Nissan.

AMG

Suspended
It is NOT that Nissan rolls out 100 thousand Micra in India.

It is that Nissan rolls out 100 thousand Micra.

I suspect only 20K in India.

AMG

Suspended
@ dude

The Micra is produced from Chennai and exported elsewhere.

It means that 100 thousand Micra have been manufactured from the plant, not that all the 100 thousand have been sold here in India.

It is NOT that Nissan rolls out 100 thousand Micra in India.

It is that Nissan rolls out 100 thousand Micra.

I suspect only 20K in India.
@ dude

The Micra is produced from Chennai and exported elsewhere.

It means that 100 thousand Micra have been manufactured from the plant, not that all the 100 thousand have been sold here in India.
No objection buddy.
But it wasn't said that all 100 thousands were sold in India. 'Rolled' & 'Sold' carries different meaning. All those were absolutely 'Rolled' from India, where ever they may be 'Sold'

I am very well aware that not all one lac cars were sold in india, but what i was emphasizing on is the fact that Nissan Micra is doing pretty well keeping in mind that the dealership network is still very thin.

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team
Nissan Micra is performing fairly well in the market, at least up to what I expected. If we give a look to monthly sales figures, Micra is selling around 2,000 + / - units in India. Maybe, better marketing tactics and focus on after sales can take it up to higher level. I think many of the new hatchback buyers do not even consider Micra while deciding on the purchase.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom