Nissan’s Upcoming Compact SUV ‘Terrano’ Unveiled (Coverage: Page 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nissan’s Upcoming Compact SUV ‘Terrano’ Unveiled (Coverage: Page 6)

No doubt it looks good and better than duster from front and back. But frankly I cannot understand the need for this. Reason I say so, is because Duster created a new following of its own. The rivals (when it arrived), were the bolero/safari/scorpio. And considering the sale numbers, their sale was not affected much. And hence Duster created its own fan-following, mainly the urban office executives. The duster sales have also been on negative ramp in the last few months. it could be because of follower saturation (as with Safari), or else it could also be because of economy slump (less cars being sold) and no major offer on purchase of duster. (see attched pic with sale numbers)

When ecosport was launched, duster sales didnt get affected much (some first time SUV buyers did switch mind from renault to ford), but again duster kept its number solid and the market share in sales. Ecosport created its own following, and mainly for the urban youth who see it a better alternative than the hatches.

So when Nissan brings a rebadged Duster, I personally feel it will just cannibalize Duster sales, and together(duster + terrano) may enhance just 5-10% sales. And in doing so, nissan looses its brand name of being one of the leaders in automotive technology. All the best though from my side to the new kid in the block, The Terrano

Attachments

Re: First Drive: Ford EcoSport Test Drive Review

I seriously think the CrossPOLO which is scheduled to launch next week will tempt some waiting ES customers...specially those at the fag end of wait list.
Only drawback is the 3 pot 1.2 Diesel engine.
I do agree with your point. If they provide the ABS, Airbag (at least 1), Fog Lamps, Power Windows in lower variant, then EcoSport bookings may cancel.

Last edited:

Ecosport created its own following, and mainly for the urban youth who see it a better alternative than the hatches.

So when Nissan brings a rebadged Duster, I personally feel it will just cannibalize Duster sales, and together(duster + terrano) may enhance just 5-10% sales. And in doing so, nissan looses its brand name of being one of the leaders in automotive technology. All the best though from my side to the new kid in the block, The Terrano
I agree with you!

What the Urban youth does not understand is that Ford is selling them an oversized hatch in the shape of an SUV with very less added utility!! But again beats buying a real SUV like XUV/Safari (which is more expensive) anyday if you ask me, but a real SUV might come with more utility/features/seats as well one should bear in mind!

The bottomline is since hatchbacks have been so common in India forever now, nobody & especially youth don't want to be seen driving a hatch & become one in the crowd. However they would rather drive a bigger hatch in the garb of an SUV (read ES/Duster etc) [lol][clap] This is purely an IMAGE phenomenon! rather than about utility!

Personally I do like Terrano better & it does look better than the Duster! Its good to have more & more competition.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Update! Nissan Terrano Pre-launch bookings officially commence from September 1, 2013.

Drive Safe,
350Z

We’re driving Nissan Terrano this month. Got specific queries? Bring ‘em on.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The basic and the most important is, how is this different from the duster other than the exterior tweeks on body panels. Does the underpinnings also change?

Also please cover one more thing. Duster had just basic features, which was sufficient, but ecosport came and spoilt us for choices. Does Terrano follow the same league or does it stay with its older cousin?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Would love to get more comparative data on ergonomics and seat comfort w.r.t Duster. As people have complained about fatigue in long rides with Duster:

1. How is the driver seat adjust/steering wheel adjust.
2. How is the placement of door lock/central lock buttons
3. Ease of use of gear box
4. Aircon quality : how quickly would it cool the cabin in hot ~40C summers
5. Door beadings etc - do they solve the water leakage issues in Duster ?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Well there are a lot of queries [;)]
1) First of all the driving dynamics of Terrano w.r.t Duster, how does it compare to Duster while negotiating curves, sudden braking and most important of all the ride quality of the newer cousin.

2) Clutch action: The clutch in 110 PS Duster is on the harder side so a comparo between these two would be great. Also, the pedal spacing is it as cramped as Duster or it is better than that.

3) Metal sheet quality: Quality of metal sheet is it better, same or worse than Duster.

4) Did I miss the major pain point of Duster "THE INTERIORS". Is the plastic quality still el-cheapo or it is better. Also, the equipment levels in the Terrano (is it true that there are no steering mounted controls in at vehicle that is going to cost 13 lacs on road [frustration]).

5) I know this is last point is probably going to be too much to ask but as you are aware of Nissan and its cordial relationship with dealers can Terrano be serviced at Renault A$$. I don't trust Hover Autos.

Not sure if this is old news but let me post it anyway

NISSAN TERRANO

Nissan Listed its variants on the web and base model XE comes with driver side airbag [clap]

Says pre-booking started.

350Z

Core Team

The basic and the most important is, how is this different from the duster other than the exterior tweeks on body panels. Does the underpinnings also change?

Also please cover one more thing. Duster had just basic features, which was sufficient, but ecosport came and spoilt us for choices. Does Terrano follow the same league or does it stay with its older cousin?
Would love to get more comparative data on ergonomics and seat comfort w.r.t Duster. As people have complained about fatigue in long rides with Duster:

1. How is the driver seat adjust/steering wheel adjust.
2. How is the placement of door lock/central lock buttons
3. Ease of use of gear box
4. Aircon quality : how quickly would it cool the cabin in hot ~40C summers
5. Door beadings etc - do they solve the water leakage issues in Duster ?
Well there are a lot of queries [;)]
1) First of all the driving dynamics of Terrano w.r.t Duster, how does it compare to Duster while negotiating curves, sudden braking and most important of all the ride quality of the newer cousin.

2) Clutch action: The clutch in 110 PS Duster is on the harder side so a comparo between these two would be great. Also, the pedal spacing is it as cramped as Duster or it is better than that.

3) Metal sheet quality: Quality of metal sheet is it better, same or worse than Duster.

4) Did I miss the major pain point of Duster "THE INTERIORS". Is the plastic quality still el-cheapo or it is better. Also, the equipment levels in the Terrano (is it true that there are no steering mounted controls in at vehicle that is going to cost 13 lacs on road [frustration]).

5) I know this is last point is probably going to be too much to ask but as you are aware of Nissan and its cordial relationship with dealers can Terrano be serviced at Renault A$$. I don't trust Hover Autos.
Thanks. Questions noted. Though surprisingly there’s not much action for the Terrano out there. Anyways watch this thread for a few live updates tomorrow.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom