Next Land Rover Defender To Share Revised Aria Chassis Parts

Thread Starter #1
Next gen Defender to be assembled in Pune according to Mr. Ratan Tata.Here are the highlights:
  • Will stick to a body on frame construction, no monocoque.
  • To use updated, lightened T5 platform, presently used for the Range Rover Sport and the Land Rover Discovery.
  • Styling very close to DC100 concepts displayed in the Delhi auto show.
  • Will share chassis and suspension parts with a 'REVISED' version of the Ariawhich is due in several years time!! But they will not be made on identical chassis.
  • To lower manufacturing costs and price it competitively.
  • Powered by new 4cyl. Petrol/Diesel engines made at the two new engine plants located at Wolverhampton and Pune.
source:LR to build next Defender in India - Autocar.co.uk

350Z

Core Team
This is fantastic news. I particularly liked Defender Concept 100 at Land Rover Pavilion at Auto Expo 2012 and it was one of the major limelights of the show. With a competitive pricing (thanks to localization) and those smart looks, it can be another winner in the hands of Land Rover. (Pics from our coverage: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...overage-pictures-news-updates.html#post124958)

Drive Safe,
350Z

hmm defender concept has got stunning looks. guys any info what will be price bracket for it?

Thread Starter #7
That won't happen in the future, maybe the price bracket may come above 25 lakhs
Please go through my post carefully, I am not talking about Defender being assembled in Pune via CKD route, but am talking about Defender completely manufactured in India which means its everypart from engine to chassis to suspension all manufactured in India.Now if that happens why they can't price it around 20 Lakh beats the life out of me?In England Freelander costs around 17 lakh, Evoque aound 19 lakh and Defender would be around the same or less, so why can't LR price their products competitively in India by completely manufacturing them here?

Please go through my post carefully, I am not talking about Defender being assembled in Pune via CKD route, but am talking about Defender completely manufactured in India which means its everypart from engine to chassis to suspension all manufactured in India.Now if that happens why they can't price it around 20 Lakh beats the life out of me?In England Freelander costs around 17 lakh, Evoque aound 19 lakh and Defender would be around the same or less, so why can't LR price their products competitively in India by completely manufacturing them here?
If that is the case then LR will it will become "Premium SUV" Tag[cry].

Okay even if it comes around 20 lakh bracket then think about other prices the vehicle carries like heavy taxes,insurance etc it will come to the said price of mine at least in Bangalore

Thread Starter #9
BMW sells X1 at around 20 lakh ex-showroom, they haven't lost their premium tag have they.My point is Tata brand selling cars all over the world upto 18 lakh max and after that say from 20 lakh onwards we have Land Rover in India and in abroad.

I read this in Feb ACI.

Mr. Tata said that Defender's chassis could be built completely in India and ship it to England by reverse-CKD process to save costs on BOL chassis which is labour intensive. And, parts from the platform could be used on future Aria and Safari.

This is something new for us, Indians. Usually, CKD parts are shipped into India but Tata is doing the opposite.

Bad news is that now the premium brand (LR) will share it's components with TATA... and we all know how TATA's components are.

I hope they atleast dont touch the Range Rovers & Freelander.

Thread Starter #15
Bad news is that now the premium brand (LR) will share it's components with TATA... and we all know how TATA's components are.

I hope they atleast dont touch the Range Rovers & Freelander.
Why you always sound so negative? This should be a proud moment for us that mundane Tata SUVs will share parts with iconic LR.That would liteally mean that their quality will go a few notches up.

As far your fear of LR's QC turning like Tata,I hope LR to have their own separate QC control panel meeting their international standards ! So fear not just chill.

Top Bottom