New Volkswagen Phaeton?

Don't you guys think that at that price you can get a better badge? VW at 80 Lacs plus makes sense? Because people who spend that kind of money for a car are looking at a prestige badge more than anything else?

Phaeton sales were always below the expectations. It debuted at prices comparable to similar offerings from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LexusMercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus and, not least, the Volkswagen Group's own Audi A8. Audi A8 shares its engineering underpinnings with the Phaeton. Phaeton lacked the brand value in the segment when compared with the competitor vehicles. This car is not worth for the price tag for sure !

Well looking nice and a little similar to Passat but still i feel this car lacks the oomph factor which the 7-series has!

This car is understated luxury. This is a car for people who silently know how rich and successful they are, but do not like to blow their own trumpet. Though I accept the fact that it can never be a real rival to companies like BMW or Mercedes-Benz. The Phaeton is just here to increase Volkswagen's brand value in the Indian market. It is here as a halo car. That too after the new Phaeton has been unveiled in the European markets! They have brought in a product which has been around in Europe since 2002, and has now been discontinued there. Attaching a few pictures of the new 2011 Phaeton (which is not coming to India anytime soon)

Attachments

Like to quote a statement by jeremy clarkson for this car.

"When you pull the screen-washer stalk on a Volkswagen Phaeton, the headlights are given a squirt of water too. There’s nothing unusual about that. What is unusual is that one headlamp is squirted first, and then, when it’s clean, the other. This is so that the driver is not suddenly plunged into an impenetrable gloom as both headlamps are covered in soap suds at the same time.
It’s a great, great car. In my mind, the best VW has made"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dr...rticle6980910.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

If VW had priced it lower and not as a rival to Merc, Audi and BMW. Then hopefully it could have attracted more buyers towards itself, since to me Phaeton looks really great only price tag is not justified.

350Z

Core Team
The new Volkswagen Phaeton looks so gorgeous; in my opinion cars like Phaeton would only help to lift their brand value in country but then it will also give them a chance to charge a hefty premium on every model. All Volkswagen needs to do is play a fair game and not consider Indian market as taken for granted.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@amaan1994 you said it man!! and great pics of new phaeton.I fall of chair seeing them!! i think new model car rival with bmws and mercs in comparison to looks if not the brand value.btw doesnt rear armrests look small? :stupid:

Arun

Suspended
This car is what we call perfect German engineering. Now, for me, luxury is better when it is understated. Personally, showboating is not my cup of tea. This car simply defines what making a subtle statement is all about. Clean lines, nice engine as well.

Now, when it comes to competition, I see the BMW winning. Simply because, here in India, half the people faint trying to pronounce Volkswagen. BMWs, are a pre-determined symbol of luxury. Lets see where this goes.

Hehe :lol!: that was good one and i agree volkswagen is quite complicated to pronouce but do you think it will be difficult for that class which will buy it? and after all what is in the name? only because of brand value, VW lags behind in premium luxury segment of india.

350Z

Core Team
Volkswagen India is throwing a massive discount of Rs.25 Lakhs on Phaeton! Means that the car can now be yours for anywhere around Rs.50 Lakhs. This move is to clear up the stocks of Petrol variants because the company will sell only Diesel variants in India from now onwards. Courtesy: Overdrive

Drive Safe,
350Z

Last edited:

Top Bottom