New Tyres for Old Swift - Bridgestone or Michelin?

Thread Starter #1
So i have decided the footwear on my car needs an upgrade. Am currently planning to get the tyres fitted on stock rims, go for alloys later, when the wallet allows.

After visiting various tyre shops (9 to be exact), i am confused now between these two Tyres -
Bridgestone Potenza G3
Michelin Energy XM1+

The price variation between these 4 is considerable, the Yokos being the cheapest and Michelin the most expensive. My heart says Potenza for peformance, but i dont want to give my family broken spines. Are they really that hard riding? Will they give me an extra tough time on Mumbai's notorious roads?

The dealers i've been to recommended Michelins - Better FE, Safer etc. but they are the most expensive and maybe the dealer was pushing them on me. Do they really return that good a FE? Also How is the grip at speeds, as i do quite a bit of highway driving.

Suggestions? I'm upsizing my Swift Vxi to 185/70 R14.

Also any others i need to consider? Have heard a lot about Yoko A-Drives as well, are they any good?

I would recommend Michelin Energy XM1+. Compared to the other Michelins, it has better life and has the inherent feature of comfort and lesser tire noise.

I have Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs on my DZire VDi 185/70/14 on stock rims; from past 15k+ kms... My vote goes for GIIIs. BTW whats the quote did the dealers gave you. Also when I enquired recently they say that there is no stock of this size in GIIIs.

Thread Starter #4
The GIII's cost around 4200 bucks, Michelin around 4600. The size for both the tires was readily available when i checked last Saturday. I'm planning to get new ones fitted this Saturday/Sunday.

What difference do you find while driving now? Handling must have definitely improved over the skinny stock tires, but what about FE, noise and the ride quality??

The GIII's cost around 4200 bucks, Michelin around 4600. The size for both the tires was readily available when i checked last Saturday. I'm planning to get new ones fitted this Saturday/Sunday.

What difference do you find while driving now? Handling must have definitely improved over the skinny stock tires, but what about FE, noise and the ride quality??
The handling have improved a lot comparing with JK 165/80/14 and GIIIs 185/70/14; feel more confident while cornering and overtaking above 80kmpl, braking is better than before. stearing is a little bit heavier than before, but its hardly noticeable; FE is not at all affected; Driven 50% on bad roads not a problem for these tyres. They takes all sort of roads; didnt actually paid attention regarding the road noise earlier and now also, but they are not too noisy as how people say and most of all the thread pattern is awesome. Overall I am loving with these tyres.[embarass]

I had seen both GIIIs and Michelin side by side while fitting; no doubt michelin is soft and GIIIs are little bit hard; since my driving was on 50% bad roads I went for GIIIs.[:D]

XM1+ would definitely add a point to the handling of the car. But compared to GIII, XM1+ are softer compound tyres. They offer better (a lot better actually) comfort and road grip as against GIIIs but GIII last longer. If your daily drives are on OK to good roads then go for XM1+ else I'd suggest GIII as they can they can take the beating better than XM1+.

+1 to freakdude. If your running is going to be inside city on well laid roads go for Michelin else go for Potenza is your daily running has got many bad roads.

Not that Potenza has got a bad ride quality but it has high road noise since they are harder. BTW i have Yoko A-drives and driving with it for around 5k KMS , pretty good and VFM i must say. Not as comfortable and silent as Michelin but better than Bridgestone.

Prices in Mumbai are too high i think , here in Chennai Michlin Xm1+ costs only around Rs.4200 and Yoko A-Drive costs around Rs.3700.

Thread Starter #8
Finally purchased new Tyres, Michelin Enery XM1+ for 4625/- each. My daily travel is mostly on the Eastern Express Highway(Mumbaikars will know this to be quite a decent tarmac), and a bit of travel through the dreaded mumbai potholes, so chose the softer tyres.
Been driving around the whole day today. Tire noise has reduced dramatically, and the grip is also good, loads better than the stock ones i had been using.
Purchased the tires from Premji's Tire Plus in thane. Its an amazing place, well equipped, loads of tires to choose from(He keeps Pirellis, Continentals, BFGoodRich etc. apart from teh usual stuff) and he also stocks good quality car care products. I'd suggest atleast people close to thane go check out the place atleast once.

Finally purchased new Tyres, Michelin Enery XM1+ for 4625/- each. My daily travel is mostly on the Eastern Express Highway(Mumbaikars will know this to be quite a decent tarmac), and a bit of travel through the dreaded mumbai potholes, so chose the softer tyres.
Been driving around the whole day today. Tire noise has reduced dramatically, and the grip is also good, loads better than the stock ones i had been using.
Purchased the tires from Premji's Tire Plus in thane. Its an amazing place, well equipped, loads of tires to choose from(He keeps Pirellis, Continentals, BFGoodRich etc. apart from teh usual stuff) and he also stocks good quality car care products. I'd suggest atleast people close to thane go check out the place atleast once.
Congrats for the new rubber![clap]

Congrats buddy , Michelin though costlier its amazing! And the rates at Mumbai are high i guess , here we can get the same tyre for around Rs.4200!

I would recommend Michelin Energy XM1+. Compared to the other Michelins, it has better life and has the inherent feature of comfort and lesser tire noise.
I second the suggestion made by Akash. [thumbsup]

One of my friend changed his swift's tyre recent to Michelin XM1 and he is very happy with the overall performance.

Top Bottom