New TVS Victor (2016): 15,000 Kms Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #76
Even though I am highly disappointed by the careless, irresponsible and hasty servicing done in my bike by RN MOTOHUB, however I feel good that at least they sent in a mechanic who could finally identify the culprit which was the improperly locked / positioned carburetor after they had cleaned the same during the service.

I requested him to check out completely if anything else has been missed out by the servicing mechanic, and everything was confirmed to be fine.

Thread Starter #77
Even after service, and cleaning of rear wheel hub, I get that metallic rubbing noise everytime I apply rear foot brakes. The only solution TVS ASC tells me is to replace the entire rear wheel (excluding tyres), which would cost me somewhere between 3,500.00 to 4,000.00. They say that since this is an alloy wheel, the hub doesn't come alone, but with the entire wheel assembly.

Experienced owners and riders, who ride alloy wheels, please let me know is it justifiable for a 5 year old 40,000 kms ridden bike to have this issue. They say the hub has gone bad and has marks of stress on it, and hence it needs to be replaced with the wheel. I have basically not heard from anyone where someone has replaced the whole rear wheel for such or similar problem.

Badly need experts' advices here. Thanks!

Even though I am highly disappointed by the careless, irresponsible and hasty servicing done in my bike by RN MOTOHUB, however I feel good that at least they sent in a mechanic who could finally identify the culprit which was the improperly locked / positioned carburetor after they had cleaned the same during the service.

I requested him to check out completely if anything else has been missed out by the servicing mechanic, and everything was confirmed to be fine.
Received a feedback call on checking my satisfaction level from the service on my Victor last week. I really had a few embarrassed moments to what to answer them..[frustration]

Thread Starter #78
  • 25+ months passed so soon. Sorry for having been away for a while.

Update. My TVS Victor 2016 is running her 8th year of ownership with 44,000 kms in the odo, and I am still enjoying the ride to core.

Lot of things have happened in life in these 2+ years.

Victor currently has the below drawbacks.

• Self Start Motor has conked off due to long time non-usage, thanks to WFH and Covid Pandemic. I am managing with kick start as I come from humble 2005 Splendor KS and not ES.
  • Front Disc Brake had given up way back in 2022 due to prolonged non-usage, due to moisture in the calliper and pistons (as claimed by my neighborhood mechanic). The said neighborhood mechanic kind of ripped my wallet and made it lighter by INR 1,180.00 in the name of overhauling my front brake, but in fact had done nothing. He had not even changed the FR plunger kit for brake, which he had claimed of, nor did he get any lathe work done on the break as he had claimed of, nor did he do any good thing with the break. After paying the INR 1,180.00, the break was not even getting loaded when brake lever depressed. Thank God my trust worthy FNG mechanic in Chakravarthi Nagar of New Avadi Road (the one who currently takes care of my bike, has overhauled my front brake and now the brake has some 85% to 90% of the efficiency it had when new.
  • Clutch plates are breathing its last. Close to 44,000 kms on stock clutch is not a joke for this 3 valve single cylinder powered bike that too in mad Chennai City traffic. Would anyone tag me with a "responsible rider" tag?? [cheers].
  • Steering Lock had failed during later part of 2021, and the entire lockset needs replacement. I have asked my trust worthy FNG to arrange for the steering lock set alone, which would cos around 300 bucks, rather spending a whooping 1000 bucks for the entire lock set (which comes with 3 locks - ignition, fuel tank, seat).

Thread Starter #79
Recent most service (PMS) update:

Bike was last PMS-ed (serviced) by my trust worthy FNG mechanic Venkatesh on 18th November 2023, with complete service, which consisted of Engine cum Transmission oil replacement, carburetter cleaning, steering cone kit adjustment, chain lubrication & adjustment, chain sprocket set checked, brakes cleaned, all alignments checked.

The previous oil change was sometime back in November 2022, 1 year back, and the bike had run only 2,200 kms in that oil, in the whole year, so decided to have the oil changed.

Now as I have started WFO, I needed bike in good condition, and hence the service done has proved to be a boon.

Thread Starter #80
Today I checked the fuel efficiency, I cumulated all the fuel fills for the cycle (1+1.95 +3) = 5.95 litres, and the bike has done upto 336.6 kms without hitting reserve, which means the average FE = 56.5 kmpl +, which I would say, is not too bad for its vintage and the kind of long non-usage it has faced during the pandemic era.

Looking for an FE of ~ 60 kmpl~ soon. Clutch plates replacement is also on cards in the next few thousand kilometres.

Thread Starter #81
Victor encountered with an unexpected rear wheel puncture on the way back home from office on Friday morning (15 DEC 2023). Somehow managed reaching home and found it was a metal chirp that pricked into the rear tyre. Wallet went lighter by 100 bucks and things appear good now. Fingers crossed.

Front tyre is still stock TVS Chakra - Remora zappers - 44,000 kms on odo has been a great life in 7+ years. Rear tyre was changed way back at 31,000 kms as my neighborhood puncture guy didn't pluck the nail properly at first puncture some 4+ years ago. It's running good. Irony is I got the rear tyre puncture sorted out from the same guy as I didn't have a choice.

Thread Starter #83
Dude Victor [:D] continues its duty in a peaceful way.

I do daily 42 kms round trip, from Avadi to Ramapuram (Porur - DLF) every week day and hence make around 880+ kms a month only on office commutes. Another 100 off kms on weekend or personal coffee shop rides would round it off to 1000 kms per month.

Last service done on 18th November 2023, with Engine Oil change, carburetor cleaning, brakes cleaning, water wash, chain cleaning & adjustment and overall general service.

Cost break up: INR 1,135/-
Engine cum Transmission Oil - INR 435/-
Water Wash - INR 150/-
Full Paid General Service - INR 550/-

You might wonder, why so cheap. That's just because I keep visiting my mechanic once in a while, wherein the rear brake shoe (approx INR 170/-), rear wheel hub bearing (approx INR 109/-), carburetor manifold rubber (approx INR 108/-), front brake plunger kit (master-kit) for INR 400/-, brake oil DOT 3 (INR 35/-), etc.

Looking at the spare parts cost, many of you would have a wow !! for me. Yes, even I do have the same [clap]. But that's what it is.

The old school mechanical bikes with zero electronics have been, were and are a breeze in terms of reliability, especially BS 3 avataars. 7 years 5 months usage with 46000 kms clicks on odometer has been a breeze. Yes, there were some niggles but that was due to the sales dealer and the TVS Authorized Service Centres, who were experts & superskilled only in inflating the bill by changing unwanted spare parts ( plucking unwanted nails like Nesamani lol..) and multiplying the issues or creating new problems in bike after every service, etc.

Now that I have been blessed with a trustworthy mechanic charging me reasonable labour fee for the decent work he does, I am fine now.

Fuel Efficiency for the past 33 litres of petrol has been averaging around 63 kmpl with my usage where one way early morning back to home is a free way (4 am early morning road). Every evening upward journey to office has some segments of real mad traffic, a portion of mid level flowing traffic and a 4.9 kms of by-pass road (Inner Ring Road), and this is what I get out of a bike that is 46000 kms / 7.5 years old and with a clutch that is nearing its expiry soon.
IMG_20240105_021311.jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (10).png

Last edited:
Thread Starter #87
If clutch is bound to change don't keep it long as it is hurtful for your hands also.
Yes sir, you are right. Finally I replaced the clutch plates with pressure plates gone Saturday, 2nd March 2024.

I too have a victor. Same colour as yours. Working fine till now. Only problems is it not idling when cold.
Nice to know I have one more friend using the same bike - with same colour. Is yours a BS3 or BS4?

try replacing the race cone kit. The tvs service centres may have not changed it at all.
Hi Shiva, do you refer to the Steering Cone Kit when you say race cone kit?

I too have a victor. Same colour as yours. Working fine till now. Only problems is it not idling when cold.
Yes, I understand. During cold starts, please let the engine idle for 30 seconds to 1 minute to attain a warm temperature, keep it till there is a red blinking light in the tachometer which shows you have idled for more than 20 seconds. This helps to some extent.

Thread Starter #88
UPDATE:

My Victor has been pampered and nurtured with some good overhaul last Saturday, 2nd March 2024.

Kms as on 2nd March 2024 = 46, 470.x kms.

Previous Service (General Full Service) done on 18th November 2023, with 43,637 kms on the odo.

Work done during this service:

1. Replaced Engine Oil replaced 15W40 synthetic power by Castrol - INR 560/- (Earlier oil used in Nov 2023 was INR 435/- and I guess I had the same for INR 440/- this time, but supplier as well as mechanic recommended this "power" oil, stating it will have some additional smoothness and refinement, though both the oils are going to last only 3k kms).
2. Replaced Oil drain and oil dip stick O Rings changed - INR 20/-
3. Replaced Clutch Plates - Victor / Phoenix / Star City Plus - TVS Genine - INR 565/-
4. Replaced Clutch case Gasket - INR 58/-
5. Replaced Clutch Pressure Plates / Steel Plates - INR 190/-
6. Replaced Air Filter (cylindrical type) - INR 310/- (quite expensive compared to INR 195/- for HONDA UNICORN 2014 - original genuine HONDA spare - paper flat type).
7. Replaced Roller Gasket for Clutch Assy = INR 13/-
8. Replaced Petrol Tube (longer one for Activa fits well for Victor) = INR 57/-
9. Replaced Kick Starter Rubber - INR 10/-
10. Replaced Brake pedal rubber = INR 20/- (a total waste as the rubber keeps rotating on its own axis, but I hope the rubber will stick to the brake pedal out of heat, not sure though).
11. Chain adjusted and lubricated.(cost included in labour)
12. Rear brake hub opened and cleaned. (cost included in labour)
13. Carburetor dismantled completely and cleaned with my own petrol. (cost included in labour)
14. Overall general checkup done.(cost included in labour)
15. Electricals checkup done.(cost included in labour)
16. Wheel play checkup done.(cost included in labour)
17. Clutch play adjusted. (cost included in labour)
18. Front top opened completely for replacing steering lock set (unfortunately spare part out of stock, so wasn't replaced) and then fitted back due to non availability of lock set with the spare part supplier.(cost included in labour, but was a time & effort waste)
19. Vehicle wiped with cloth (water service couldn't be done due to shortage of time and other vehicles queueing up for the mechanic).
20. Throttle play and all control cables checked.
21. Multiple test rides done to ensure everything is put up together well.

Spare Parts total cost = INR 1,803/-
Total Labor = INR 600/-

Total Service Cost = INR 2,403/- (without water wash). A water wash would have hiked the cost up to INR 2,503/-

Feel after service:

With completely new clutch, and some new clutch adjustment with the play in left lever, I was facing some challenges on the way back home from the garrage on Saturday, where I experienced jerks while releasing clutch, and I knew this was because of the brand new clutch plates and pressure plates, and also I managed to end up stalling the bike multiple times in the next 35 to 40 kms ride, 20 of which was single and the remaining was with my better half as pillion where I just wanted to boast after having spent a handsome amount on my bike after years [:D].

Sunday morning (3rd March) - I took my better half in bike to buy some mutton, and I could feel that I have managed to get accustomed to the new clutch, new play and new settingsup to some 80-90%.

Monday - yesterday, when I started to work at 4 pm, I could feel that I am almost accustomed now. I didn't stall my bike anywhere during my 21 kms journey from Avadi home to DLF office in Porur.

Bike feels sportier post clutch replacement for sure. Need to have a tab on the fuel efficiency part.

Remaining Jobs in the bike

1. Steering Lock set change (looking for steering lock alone, rather spending some 1000 bucks on the whole lockset, ready to compromise by carrying two different keys, one for ignition whereas the other one original for fuel tank and seat latch.

2. Self Starter Motor - I was told that the motor is serviceable, but I have to leave the bike in the garage for a day or two or even till the mechanic gets time to visit Pudupettai to get it serviced. Servicing would be a smaller 3 digit amount, whereas replacement would be a 4 digit sum north of 2000. The motor is of such a type that once unplugged from the bike, the bike can't be used or operated. Besides, I live 20+ kms away from the garage and I need the bike to commute to work daily, five days a week. However, it's a totally different ball game that I am very much accustomed to kicking and starting the bike, as I come from a 2005 Splendor Plus. Post clutch plates replaced, the kick-starting experience has an added premium feel. [:D]

Last edited:
Nice to know I have one more friend using the same bike - with same colour. Is yours a BS3 or BS4?
Hi kumar. Mine is BS3

Hi Shiva, do you refer to the Steering Cone Kit when you say race cone kit?
Yes

Actually it is not idling. i have to rev it up to abt 3000 rpm for abt 2 mins for it to stabilize and when i dont rev it up , sometimes there is no response when i accelerate

my victor has run 27k only. ig it also was a test bike.

ECommerce
Here you can check and order spares
ECommerce
Here painted parts .

i have seen a victor run more than 1 lakh
this guy is a good mechanic, but is in madhurai[sad]

Top Bottom