New TVS Victor (2016): 15,000 Kms Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #31
Hi All

My Victor getting ready / due for its 10th paid service. However, no more want to continue with my prior service provider - Vijai TVS - Avadi, a day robber. Reasons below:

> Vijai TVS Avadi appoints semi barbaric service managers who don't even know to empathise with the customers' grievances, which is the very first and basic ethic in customer service. No reassurance. Rather they would come down to argue and initiate a quarrel at the work place with their customer.

> Vijai TVS appoints technicians who have close to ZERO knowledge (will be exaplained and justified later).

> Vijai TVS - Avadi rips of the customers (will justify and explain this comemnt below, for sure).

> Vijai TVS - Avadi hasn't resolved my 2 major problems in my bike for the past 20 months.

Next plan for my bike's maintanence:

Have selected HMT TVS Bikes in Arumbakkam - Chennai for my future service upon recommendation from one of my friends' circle.

Met them 3 weeks back, and the bike was completely checked. Below jobs were recommended:

> Fork has some issue. Cone bals need to be changed and probably Fork Oil would be replaced (as per service manual this was due at 18000 kms, when mine has done 24k). This, in HMT Bikes' opinion, would arrest the front fork noise issue once for all. Estimate was around 500-700 with labour.

> Silencer pipe outlet from engine got completely rusted and needs a paint / coating, which HMT is ready to do. (I had been requesting Vijai Motors Avadi for the same issue, and they said they have no such coating service for silencer and all silencers would be like that only-- Intelligent fools...)

> Front H/L doom vibration - HMT said they would dismantle the entire H/L assy and arrest the noise / vibration which comes after 52 kmph speed.

> dead 2nd gear - no pick up from dead slow speed in 2nd gear - HMT said they would look into it and try to rectify.

> Mileage drop from a consistent 65 kmpl to 58-60 kmpl now - HMT said after servicing, they would compolsarily check mileage wiht a mileage test kit and then only deliver the bike to customer.

> In the last service done in Sep 2018 (24 months service), air filter and spark plug, which was due replacement, wasn't replaced by Vijai TVS - Avadi. HMT Arumbakkam said they would have it replaced.

I got some assurance from HMT Motors in Arumbakkam and going to hand over the bike for servicing with them, this weekend possibly.

From 2019, I should be riding a fuss free bike I guess.

Those who are in Chennai, own TVS and are looking for a better service experience, I can share them the mechanic's and showroom owner's mobile number as well.

Only down side was that HMT Bikes couldn't provide me with an AMC where I could save some Vitamin M on my maintanence expenses. Even Vijai Motors Avadi is not ready to give me one, as I am always questioning them and they don't like questioning customers.

HMT Bikes assured that the service labour including water wash for my Victor is Rs. 450.00 + GST which would make it around 500, and the oil with spares would be on top of this cost. Whereas Vijai TVS - Avadi had quoted the General Service Labour charges for my Victor as 830.00, for which they won't give breakups, and oil would be on top of it, where the general service with only oil change would cost me around 1200 + GST, whereas HMT would do the service for only 450 + GST + oil 300 which would be around 800.00. Hope this justifies one of the demerit pointers on Vijai TVS listed in the beginning of the post.

HMT Bikes mechanic got me the resolution - change cone balres and fork oil with full fork checkup to arrest trouble. Wheras Vijai TVS - Avadi strongly emhasized that there is no work around for this problem and I have to ride the bike with the same vibrating / noisy fork till my tenure with this bike. ZERO techy knowledge proved by Vijai TVS Avadi. This justified my allegation on Vijai TVS for being a ZERO knowledge resource filled service centre.

Conclusively, I don't see Vijai Motors TVS in Avadi earning customers, rather they are after making money by fooling customers (innocent and ignorant ones) with hefty labour only charges of 830.00 excluding oil, without breakups, fooling and misguiding customers without providing technical guidances and services like cone balras check, fork problem arrest and H/L vibration arrest.

Now, I have my fingers crossed with HMT Motors to see if their actual service of my bike would match with the assurances they have provided. Anyways I am a non AMC customer, so if I am not satisfied with HMT, I can move on with the other.

But I strongly hope, I would continue doing the rest of my service with HMT till I own this bike (P.S.: The bike is currently under Extended Warranty, for which Vijai TVS cornered me to pay Rs. 350.00).

Your opinions and comments on my post are welcome, anytime.

Regards
Kumar

nice report kumar there. I had 2 splendors during my college days and beginning of my carrier and sold both of them at 100,000 on odo, as I thought that's the best a 2 wheeler with 100 cc can do. I always liked splendor and when I test drove victor in 99 as second bike, I felt it coarse and unrefined, hence didn't buy it. Splendor also has tremendous resale value. Good luck with your victor.

Thread Starter #33
Successfully got my Vicky (Victor) serviced at HMT Motors - Arumbakkam.

Result - mixed (neither too satisfied nor too dissatisfied).

Friday late evening, I handed over the bike to HMT ASS with mechanic RAJ with the below complaints:

> Front fork sound (major issue 1)
> Front H/L doom vibration post 52 kmph (major issue 2)
> 2nd gear is lifeless, no pickup, had to shift to first cog everytime to pick the vehicle from sudden slow speed.
> gear shift wasn't smooth. felt rough while shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
> self starter starts the bike in gear without clutch depressed, which shouldn't happen in signals and traffic.
> silencer pipe anti rust coating / painting.
> mileage has pathetically dropped down from 65 kmpl to 58 kmpl, when no change in the usage pattern - 50% free road and 50% in dense traffic.

Resolutions suggested by RAJ, the mechanic:
> Fork complete work, with fork oil and cone kit (steering cone kit - balls) replacement - 600 estimate
> Engine oil change, other PMS services
> LH brake light switch (clutch) switch replacement - est 150.00
> Silencer pipe painting - est 750.00
> gear shift smoothness will be lubricated and rectified.

Estimated to around 2500 - 2600.00, which was a bomb.

Advised mechanic not to change indicator as of now and avoid replacing brake light switch to restrict budget.

Mechanic RAJ was courteous and after job card, dropped me voluntarily at the NSK Nagar bus stop to go home till Avadi, which was a nice experience (though at my petrol cost [cheers]

Delivery was scheduled on Saturday at about 6 pm in the evening (22nd Dec), however got a call from HMT Motors the same afternoon stating the painting / coating guy (outsourced job) wasn't available and hence painting can't be done today. I had some relief that I would cut down 750 + GST on my estimate. But the sweet female voice from HMT persuaded and convinced me successfully in getting my indicator changed (FR RH), which had broken and fallen down months before. I finally agreed and she reassured that it won't cost beyond 200.00.

Again got a confirmation call in a couple of hours stating the vehicle is ready and the bill is around Rs. 2,100.00

By 5.00 pm, when I was on the way to HMT, got an sms stating the bill amount is Rs. 2083.03

Reached A.S.S. by 5.30 pm and looked at the bike.

Disappointments first :

> Bill amount was raised from 2083 to 2373.00
> The complete LH Clutch Lever Assy (Yoke set) was replaced for no reason as per me, when I was told only the brake light / clutch switch was to be replaced costing only 150 bucks. But the actuals were 290.00 including 28% GST along with a Yoke replacement labour of 50/- added up by another 18% GST on labour, totalling this unnecessary / unwarranted / unauthorised work to Rs. 349.00 (spare + labour + GST). I was totally disappointed and believe me, if it was my prior Vijai TVS - Avadi, would have straight away made them de-assemble the new yoke, and fit back my old yoke, which I would happily have managed instead of coughing out this 349.00 extra. But since the mechanic RAJ was recommended by one of my close friends, and if I raise my voice, the said mechanic will have to bear the hit / compensational loss for the yoke assembly if I refuse to pay that 349.00. Just for the sake of my relationship maintanence with my friend, who recommended this service centre, I kept quite and paid the entire bill of Rs. 2,373.00, which was incremental by the said 349.00 for yoke spare and replacement charges. Though annoying, I had to digest. I would rather have lived with the failed clutch switch sensor, just by paying extra caution every time I crank my engine from rest, ensuring I am in neutral or by pressing clutch every time I start the motor.

> The explanation given for this flaw by the mechanic was even more annoying and baseless. He said, that they tried to pull out the switch from the clutch lever yoke set, but they couldn't. Would anyone believe a mechanic couldn't disassemble the switch wire from the yoke?, that too a professional and experienced mechanic? I was also told that the switch sensor had jammed with the inner part of clutch lever joint and so couldn't be removed, and hence they justified their changing the replacement of the whole Clutch Lever Assy yoke. I was wondering if something in bike was more comlex, they would replace the whole bike and billl me Rs. 74,700.00 (the current on road price of New Victor Disc version in Chennai with BSIV Engine) [cry]

> The primary purpose of a PMS / General Service is to ensure all vital parts are changed. The bike had already completed 13000 kms on the current air filter and spark plug, when manual instructs to replace these two every 12000 kms. I had told them clearly that these two vital components were changed at 11,100 kms more than a year back (September 2017) and they must be changed. But they weren't. It's totally unacceptable when they keep replacing the components which I hadn't asked them to and they don't replace things which I had asked them to.

> Brake shoe was replaced. However, during job card opening, I was told that the rear brake shoe would be checked, but it was actually replaced. Explanation given was "Brake shoe had gone weak". But is it within 24,086 kms and 27 months of ownership when I use the rear brake very less and I completely rely on my frontal disc brake for stopping power? But safety point of view, and wear and tear point of view, I would accept the brake shoe replacement to some extent and waive off my allegation against the mechanic or the service centre for having shooted up my bill by another 140.00 over and above estimation (109.xx + 28% GST).

> Post service, this morning when I touch 52 kmph speed in empty road and slowly approach 53,54 kmph, I still hear a very mild vibration from the front Head Lamp instrument, which is not making me satisfied. This could have been looked after, in a little better way.

Now - Satisfiactions down
> From the front forl, well I couldn't hear any thud thud or tak tak noise when I encounter undulation, potholes or speed breaks, oe even when I apply sudden front disc brake, which was the unresolved issue for a year or so. However this is just the beginning and I need to ride for about 2 weeks / 500 kms to ensure the mechanic has done a good job on the same.

> Gear shifts have become smoother than before. Kudos to Raj :)

> 2nd gear lifelessness - need to be checked this evening, when I encounter heavy and maddened city traffic on eve of Chirstmas holidays - will be updated soon.

> Mileage - yet to be checked since when I took back the vehicle, fuel was in reserve and I am yet to fill it this evening on the way back home.

Overall Impressions:

> Mechanic and supervisor, both should still work and imporve on their listening and comprehension skills with their customer. Customer says - please change Air Filter and Spark Plug as it hasn't been changed even in the last service. Mechanic doens't change them, it sounds awkward, doesn't it ?

> More seriousness is expected. I find the mechanic talking to me and at the same time showing his smiley face and communicating something lese with his per mechanics and other staffs, which is a total nonsense in business world. Customer service level is a total zero in HMT - need to improve a lot. Only when they sincerely listen to their customers, they can understand the customer requriements - a simple requriements engineering, but very basic for business success.

> Owner of the service centre, Mr. Harikrishnan was too generous enough to waive off the 2% service charge on my paying through my Credit Card bill and was blowing his own trumpet for having done that. I feel, he's not aware that legally and officially, they are not supposed to collect such charges for customers as no bank authorised their vendors to collect such charges from customers. Such convenience charges or % charges are and must be between bank and vendor and this doesn't come under customer's headache, does it folks?

> I raised my grievance with the MD on not replacing the filter and plug, and told him that I would have them replaced if I find the mileage going down, and I shouldn't be charged any labour for replacing these two. The MD / owner happily agreed, since I had already pid the labour as General Service Paid Labour 450.00.

Now, costing break ups
Spares and Consumables (Brake Shoe, Indicator, 4 10mm bolt / screw, 4 13 mm bolt/but, yoke assembly, engine oil, fork oil, etc ) sub totalled to Rs. 1488.00 (breakups will be shared later).

Labour Charges were as below:

General Paid Service Labour - 450.00
Fork Work - 250.00
Yoke replacement - 50.00

TOTAL 750.00 + 18% GST which totalled up to Rs. 885.00

Net Payable Bill AMount was Rs. 2373.00

Verdict:

Labour charges seem nominal, and I have no concerns about the same.

Unauthorised Yoke replacement is my biggest concern.

Air Filter and Spart Plug will be replaced by me soon, another 400-500 bucks would from my pocket, which would shoot up the bill to around 3000.00 for a two wheeler (my four wheeler was full serviced by me last July 2018 for only Rs. 2650.00 including Water Wash and Labour, Petrol filter and other essential filters with engine oil).

Overall I would rate the service satisfaction level by 6/10.

Opinions and comments from readers are welcome.

Thanks and Regards
Kumar

Thread Starter #34
nice report kumar there. I had 2 splendors during my college days and beginning of my carrier and sold both of them at 100,000 on odo, as I thought that's the best a 2 wheeler with 100 cc can do. I always liked splendor and when I test drove victor in 99 as second bike, I felt it coarse and unrefined, hence didn't buy it. Splendor also has tremendous resale value. Good luck with your victor.
You're right. I had been marketing TVS bikes in the year 2003-2005 for Sri Karpagamoorthy TVS, Karaikudi (Tamil Nadu), and every single 2003 Victor GL I sold was with great efforts and unmentionable pains. My cusotmer would come, have his cool drinks, relax, get a quotation for TVS Victor GL, and then assure to visit back in 2-3 days. Subsequent week, he would be ferrying in his new bought Splendor Plus from Nithya Motors Hero Honda, which was just 1 km away from my dealership for TVS. Such was the competition and of course, Splendor Plus kept winning the game. Even I personally had a 2005 Splendor Plus for 11 years which I sold in 2016 September and bought this Victor.

Splendors are gems and I have friends running this bike above 1,40,000 kms after 16-17 years with FC renewals. The bike is worth it.

Thread Starter #36
I think old ASC was better for you as you could raise your voice[:D]
Correct, but they pathetically lack in knowledge and skills in technical aspect.
When asked about the corrosion of silencer exhaust pipe, I was told, I've to live with that, when HMT got a solution for it, though for a cost.
When asked about the fork issue, they said that was the best adjustment, and I must live with that, when HMT has actually resolved it, to my knowledge. Anyways, need another 10 days of ride to come out with a feedback.

Thread Starter #37
A few photo shoots now on the eve of Christmas.

Pics after 10th paid service (27 months service) with HMT Motors - Arumbakkam - Chennai

Side face:

20181225_152650.jpg

Front face.
20181225_152627.jpg

Instrument Cluster - 24157.9 kms...
20181225_152734.jpg

Replaced indicator. Fingers crossed who would be the next to set it off again and where? [frustration]
20181225_152634.jpg

Highly appreciated quality of the rear number plate provided by Vijai Motors TVS - Avadi. I also confirmed that it is not TVS who provides with these accessories but it is the dealers discretion, from whom the worst quality accessories can be fitted and pushed into the customers' hands thus making a so called 'cost optimization', for which we pay up exorbitant price. Actually the dealers make huge money here only. (My erstwhile Karpagamoorthy TVS owner told me this when I was their employee in 2003).

Note : The plate started rusting from 16th month onward and see the condition today- almost 45% gone, and the Q in the number is sometimes misread as "O".

20181225_152659.jpg

Rusted silencer exit pipe. Vijai Motors Avadi had no solution for this, when HMT at least offered a solution of anti corrosion coating, however the said guy wasn't available on Saturday, and hence postponed to next service. 750.00 + taxes would be little high, but I have to pay, no other go.
20181225_152712.jpg

An protective seat cover with a nice texture (380.00 discounted to 350.00 bucks. Same pattern texture I have replaced for my wife's purple Activa as well, however the buttons on the seat cushion would be in red.

20181225_152720.jpg

Attachments

Thread Starter #38
After about 200 kms of run after service (at about 24285 kms - service was done at 24086 kms as per bill), I started hearing the same thuk thuk sound from the front fork, and it gradually started increasing. I was taken aback.

Now, here were the post service issues which created a very bitter dissatisfaction after spending close to 2400 bucks for a two wheeler:
> front fork thuk thuk sound on potholes, breakers, and while sudden braking using disc came up again, gradually increasing.
> front H/L vibration after 52 kmph speed still continues and can be heard at early morning drives.
> a howling sound from the newly replaced rear brake shoe started coming up right from day 1 after service. Please note that this is not the regular keech keech sound coming, but a howling sound - something close to a honking train, and the frequency was once a day or max twice.

Took it back to HMT MOTORS - Arumbakkam on Monday, 31st December 2018 and the below work was done:
> Front fork was slightly tightened. Explanation from mechanic was "sir after we replace cone balls, we leave it little loose to get set, and wait for customer feedback. If customer has issues, he'll get it back and we will tight it accordingly" - this was a strange strategy.
> Rear brake shoe (newly replaced one) was dismantled from wheel hub and it was rubbed / scrubbed using some emersion paper like thing. I asked the mechanic why would you rub the NEW brake shoe. He gave a techincal answer - "sir, the brake shoe has to set with the drum hub, and we have to get it set accordingly." My polite question to them was - "Why on heaven, was this thing not done while replacing in the service?" . As usual - silence.
> Front H/L vibration was said to be terminal and no more efforts can be put, a per mechanic. He said he has already inserted some fabric / cloth thing between the panels inwards the H/L doom, and still more, he can paste some more fabric on the outside part of the doom, which would spoil the entire look of the bike. I said a "No No" to this.

Wished them a Happy New Year and went back home to welcome 2019 [angry]

Mileage Update :

Prior to service, I had filled 2.91L petrol, and the subsequent reserve was somewhere close to 24086 kms, since I got back my bike after service in reserve condition only. I was also told by the mechanics that they had used petrol for cleaning air filter, spark plug, etc. I estimated it to be around 0.300 L, and my next reserve was at 24244, which is 158 kms in 2.61L (2.91L - 300 ml USED during service), which works out to be 60.54 kmpl, which sounds not bad. Imagining that they had used / misused my petrol to 0.500L (half litre), the my mileage would be around 65.57 kmpl, which is decent.

However, the above are only approximations, as only God and the mechanic knows how much petrol was removed for service. Forget it.

After the said reserve at 24244 kms, I deliberately filled 1L of ordinary petrol for Rs. 72.40, last week, and was successful in getting my next reserve at 24311.2, whcih is not 67.2 kmpl, which is mouth watering. This petrol was from one of my regular bunks of Indian Oil - Sree Sakthi Agencies (Ambattur)

Now I have filled 3L fuel last Monday, and would love to see the mileage this time, But this is from a different HP bunk, which offers some PhonePE cashbacks of 30 + govt cashback of 0.75% [cheers]

Fingers crossed on the next mileage, whether I would end up riding 195 kms with 3L (@ 65 kmpl), or less. Let's wait and see.

Finally till now, I don't feel the need to replace air filter, spark plug, which was deliberately missed out during the service, even though the bike has already done 13000 kms post last replacement of these two vital parts.

My experience on the after-service experience with HMT Motors are on cards. Shall keep them posted here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2019. God bless you all with all success and happiness in the years ahead.

Regards
Kumar

Thread Starter #39
Latest mileage calculation worked out to be around 62 kmpl, not bad though. Fingers crossed if I would be able to maintain a steady 65 kmpl thoroughout.

Post Service Update:
> Fork thak thak sound almost disappeared.
> Brake shoe noise which was observed post service, now disappeared after he dismantled the brake shoe rear and did some emersion rub up before fitting it back.
> The front H/L doom vibration has somewhat reduced, but not completely gone. I am okay to live with that as long as it doesn't move north.

This is a neat little thread Kumar. Reminds me of my 2003 Victor GL which I own to this date, almost problem free bike !

Hope all your niggles are sorted ! After all we equate Victor to more smiles per hour :)

KR

Thread Starter #41
Bad news. THe fork sound again popped up from front...

The previous 10th paid service was at 24086 kms last December end (21st Dec 2018). About 200 kms after that service the form was nice, after having replaced the cone balls kit, and fork oil, and labour (around 800 INR spent). Again, the noise reappeared within 4 days, and I took it again on 31st Dec 2018, and the mechanic said the setting was left loose, and it will be tightened now. And it was.

Next 600 kms was a breeze.

After that, the same sound started appearing again. Took it to HMT yesterday evening. Mechianic spent 1 full hour, tried and adjusted thrice. Every time the sound would pop up.

I asked him if anything else needs to be replaced and he said nothing more, as the essential cone balls have been replaced. Now the sound has mildly minimised, but not zeroised.

Mechanic says nothing more can be done, as this is rare issue and he also challenges that he hasn't heard such complaint in the New Victor of similar tenure.

Planning to sell my bike, as I don't think I can ride with this stupid noise in the fork everytime I apply sudden brake front disc, or encouter a pothole, the sound actually comes when the fork releases out after action.

There is definitely some catch, but the low skilled mechanics are unable to diagonise it.

Very upset with this.

Thread Starter #43
I had told you then itself sir , you won't get a permanent solution for this [sleep]
Yes you had Vishnu, earlier.

But should / must I live with this irritant sound and don't I have an escape way?

I guess, the best way out is to sell the bike. [frustration]

I also heard, that none of the bikes today are perfect, and the quality factor is a total zero (this was told by the Owner / MD of HMT Bikes - Arumbakkam).

Manufacturers have decided that if they produce and sell quality products, they can't buy their farm houses, foreign properties, limousines, luxury bunglos if we keep using the products for longer time. Rather they have started putting an end date on every product they manufacture I guess.

My 2005 Splendor never had any issues, albeit very rare starting troubles. It had undergone a couple of dangerous accidents in 2014, but still the chase was fine. No fork noise even after these crashes. I hardly use to give it for service, may be once a year or so. However, I used to replace the engine cum transmission oil every 1800 kms. That was a gem.

Old is Gold....[cry]

The mindset of both customers as well as manufacturers have changed Kumar sir , as now its a vehicle for 5 years . Only some like us keep a sentiment value with our rides.
Also adding another point , nowadays they use aluminium forks (Light weight more durable ) , but for our roads cast iron was best .

Thread Starter #45
The mindset of both customers as well as manufacturers have changed Kumar sir , as now its a vehicle for 5 years . Only some like us keep a sentiment value with our rides.
Also adding another point , nowadays they use aluminium forks (Light weight more durable ) , but for our roads cast iron was best .
You are right Vishnu ji.

Sentiments apart, one would definitely like to extract the maximum possible value out of the product which he has paid a hefty money for.

Imagine, the Victor GL and then come Victor GX in 2003-04 period were costing only around 44k -45k, with such a solid cast iron forks. Not only forks, the entire bike was so reliable. Now see the condition. This 5 year concept might be for someone who is plush with money, but not someone who earns his daiily livelihood admist several challenges. Imagine a sales guy hardly making 12000 rupees a month, can't afford to change his Splendor or Platina every 5 years. He definitely would have other priorities in his life (financially).

16 years ago, by paying 44k, I could get a long lasting bike, when in 2016 I paid my 1.5 months salary to get only this crap [frustration]. (I paid 64,700.00 for the disc brake vairant of the New Victor in September 2016).

The bike is otherwise good in all aspects.

However, this noon, I took it to HMT and the technicians and supervisor didn't have an answer. Getting frustrated, I walked up to the MD's chamber and he came down, rode my bike, then got down to resolve. Sitting on the saddle of my bike, he instructed to the chief mechanic to adjust one bolt after another, the below one, above one, and a lot ( I am not a tech savvy, so couldn't understand what he was trying).

Then he asked me to ride, and I found it better (minimised much).

He also cited that the next culprit could be the Fork Spring...

Fingers crossed..

Trust me, but for this nonsense, the bike is otherwise awesome and a breeze to ride.

Regards
Kumar

Top Bottom