New Tata Indica Vista v/s New Maruti Swift

Which Hatchback?

• Tata Indica Vista

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Maruti Suzuki Swift

Votes: 35 50.7%

• Total voters
I see in this tread a lot of talk about how good MASSs are and how bad TASSs are.

My Conclusion

Maruti is no better than Tata in terms of quality of work done.

I also found the washing and cleaning of the cars of the same quality both in Maruti and Tata.

Maruti may have an advantage over Tata over better customer interaction and customer comfort/facility, like better lounge, coffee/tea, etc

In the end, it all depends on the relationship that you maintain with the service guys.
Totally Agree with you! Its all depends on you, that how you connects with them, after all, all of them are human beings. And people forget that, even these service guys do change their jobs! Most of the guys I interacted at TATA A$$ were earlier working for Maruti, In fact the dealership and the workshop earlier belonged to Maruti, and now the same dealer has gone for TATA. Unnecessarily people blame TATA for A$$, IMHO there is no such problem.

Totally Agree with you! Its all depends on you, that how you connects with them, after all, all of them are human beings. And people forget that, even these service guys do change their jobs! Most of the guys I interacted at TATA A$$ were earlier working for Maruti, In fact the dealership and the workshop earlier belonged to Maruti, and now the same dealer has gone for TATA. Unnecessarily people blame TATA for A$$, IMHO there is no such problem.
My experaince with Tata After Sales Service is good so far and I always wonder whether it is an exception when people shout from roof tops in most of the forums.

Infact they accepted my car for second free service even when I showed up without a booking and odo reading was beyond the limit (they did not considered it as a 3rd service unlike normally practiced by many After Sales Service of most of the manufactureres.

Hi everybody.
I have been reading about this thread right from start till end. Although I am a diehard fan of TATAs and love most of it that TATAs do the reason being no knows better than TATAs. And also I come from Pune city which is a hub for auto-manufacturers in India where like TATAs, Mercedez, GM, Volkswagen, M&M, Bajaj Auto, Force Motors, Fiat, HM. I hope I have not missed any.

I have personally been a fan of Indigo Since it was the only vehicle which gave serious competition to Icons, Esteems, etc. Well most of the govt. employees owned it.

If anyone knows TATAs & Marutis from START everyone will say they have built there images on iconic cars Indica, Vista, Indigo, IndigoCS for TATAs & M800, ALTO, WagonR, Swift, SX4, Desire for Maruti Suzuki. TATA have made indica a people's car and as I mentioned earlier Tatas know better.

For me VISTA scores over SWIFT as I own it after a deep research. If one has issues over TASS you can give lower ratings in the feedback form with the ASS and TATAs react to such feedback. It has been my personal experience.

Hi Bigcool welcome to TAI, from another Punetie and Vista owner!, start ownership thread for your Vista experience!
Also Introduce yourself to other TAI members in Introduction section.

350Z

Core Team
Welcome aboard. Great to have another Vista owner in the forum. We eagerly look forward to know more about your car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

It all depends on what user is looking for,
New Swift has handling edge over Vista,more fun to drive than Vista

Advantages of Vista - It offers more space,good back seat comfort,better leg room,better boot space,safety features in lower spec model.

For me it will be Vista [thumbsup],VFM,a complete package than Swift.

This thread started with launch of new "sedan class" TATA Vista.And really the car has lived up to its expectation(2nd best selling diesel hatch for the last 4 months after Swift) thanks to better (read more premium) looks, retuned suspension for better high speed handling and even a better ride, soft progressive clutch, better brakes,soft touch interiors et al.Not to say that Swift and new Dzire are bad, but they are a tad overrated while our desi dude Vista is the most underrated car of them.If it would have been Suzuki Vista then we all can safely say that it would have been a bestseller with all its amazing attributes.But sadly we Indians decide more with imitation than intelligence.

But nevertheless new Sedan Class Vista is finding quite a few takers and perhaps in future it may even come close to Swift in terms of sales figure!!

This thread started with launch of new "sedan class" TATA Vista.And really the car has lived up to its expectation(2nd best selling diesel hatch for the last 4 months after Swift) thanks to better (read more premium) looks, retuned suspension for better high speed handling and even a better ride, soft progressive clutch, better brakes,soft touch interiors et al.Not to say that Swift and new Dzire are bad, but they are a tad overrated while our desi dude Vista is the most underrated car of them.If it would have been Suzuki Vista then we all can safely say that it would have been a bestseller with all its amazing attributes.But sadly we Indians decide more with imitation than intelligence.

But nevertheless new Sedan Class Vista is finding quite a few takers and perhaps in future it may even come close to Swift in terms of sales figure!!
+1
:agree: to what all you said. Having said that the Vista being underrated held good for about 2 months ago! I will not say it is under rated now a days as there are many buyers inclined towards the product itself. Let it be the effect of
(a) TATA's refreshed marketing for this product
(b) The quality of the product itself
(c) Verbal marketing (mouth publicity) of the owners & potential car buyers who are appreciating the product quality after checking out in flesh & TD
(d) The effect of waiting period of other diesel cars
(e) Disappointments from Liva diesel & pricing of other good diesel hatchbacks

There is a good chance of Vista being able to give tough time to Swift diesel for the sales figures in near future. However, I feel, Tata's need to breed a culture of customer first at all the dealerships to make this a reality [;)]

Oh FZ you hit the nail on the head man,the failure of LIVA has really given a new lease to Vista, yes agree now there are quite few takers for the car.Also completely agree with your other points.

Its interesting to see this poll results against the actual sales. People go crazy over Swift, despite the high price. I personally wouldn't buy another Swift, but wouldn't pick Vista either. But given a choice between the two, Swift is the one with better looks, good dynamics, and a good balance between power and FE.

I think the looks of Vista and Manza is not well received as much as the looks of Indica and Indigo during their respective release period. They look nice from certain angles, but looks disproportionate from others.

Vista may be the second best seller in the segment, but combined sales of Indica and Vista falls behind by a huge margin behind the Swift.

Last edited:
Its interesting to see this poll results against the actual sales. People go crazy over Swift, despite the high price. I personally wouldn't buy another Swift, but wouldn't pick Vista either. But given a choice between the two, Swift is the one with better looks, good dynamics, and a good balance between power and FE.

I think the looks of Vista and Manza is not well received as much as the looks of Indica and Indigo during their respective release period. They look nice from certain angles, but looks disproportionate from others.

Vista may be the second best seller in the segment, but combined sales of Indica and Vista falls behind by a huge margin behind the Swift.
I would agree but only partially. The major factor between the two is the perception of ASS!

As said earlier if the Tata's can breed culture of Customer first, the competition will get closer.

I read this somewhere else & I recollect this incident. I was in this car mod shop owned by my friend. He basically does all sort of things like free flow, aftermarket filters, CAI, etc.

I was chatting with him when a Vista owner came by & asked him about K&N filters & my friend told him that he would not try any sort of such mods in the Vista. The owner left, understandably furious. Then our conversation followed, starting with me -

Yaar, why you dint give him the filter?

Dude, its a Vista with the TDi engine.

So? A filter is a filter... What's so great?

Dude, we wont do any performance mods on a TATA.

But why?

Ok, think about this. Why do you think Pete's (tuning boxes) which makes boxes for almost every model does not have a box for the TATA engine - Dicor or TDi. It has a box for the Quadrajet engine only, which is made by FIAT as you know.

Hmmm, why is that so?

Every good engine is made to close tolerance levels, they can withstand the higher stresses caused by these mods. But TATA... in the attempt of making a cheap engine, they compromise on the quality & when any sort of aftermarket mods are done, these engines simple cannot withstand that & some or the other part goes kaput.

Are you sure? You mean nobody would touch a TATA engine for mods?

Nobody who has been in this business for long would do that. If its a Vista with Quadrajet engine, then no problem. But if its the TDi or Dicor, then chances of some or the other failure is very high & then the onus comes on us as we did the mods. The owners claim that we damaged the engine. Hence, we refuse doing any performance mods on a TATA unless it has the multijet engine. We dont advise customers to tamper with the TATA engines. Especially a big NO to tuning boxes.

After this, I searched on Pete's & indeed they dont have tuning boxes for TDi & Dicor when they have for Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Audi, BMW, etc.

I read this somewhere else & I recollect this incident. I was in this car mod shop owned by my friend. He basically does all sort of things like free flow, aftermarket filters, CAI, etc.

I was chatting with him when a Vista owner came by & asked him about K&N filters & my friend told him that he would not try any sort of such mods in the Vista. The owner left, understandably furious. Then our conversation followed, starting with me -

Yaar, why you dint give him the filter?

Dude, its a Vista with the TDi engine.

So? A filter is a filter... What's so great?

Dude, we wont do any performance mods on a TATA.

But why?

Ok, think about this. Why do you think Pete's (tuning boxes) which makes boxes for almost every model does not have a box for the TATA engine - Dicor or TDi. It has a box for the Quadrajet engine only, which is made by FIAT as you know.

Hmmm, why is that so?

Every good engine is made to close tolerance levels, they can withstand the higher stresses caused by these mods. But TATA... in the attempt of making a cheap engine, they compromise on the quality & when any sort of aftermarket mods are done, these engines simple cannot withstand that & some or the other part goes kaput.

Are you sure? You mean nobody would touch a TATA engine for mods?

Nobody who has been in this business for long would do that. If its a Vista with Quadrajet engine, then no problem. But if its the TDi or Dicor, then chances of some or the other failure is very high & then the onus comes on us as we did the mods. The owners claim that we damaged the engine. Hence, we refuse doing any performance mods on a TATA unless it has the multijet engine. We dont advise customers to tamper with the TATA engines. Especially a big NO to tuning boxes.

After this, I searched on Pete's & indeed they dont have tuning boxes for TDi & Dicor when they have for Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Audi, BMW, etc.
^^^^^
As far as I know, there is indeed a tuning box for dicor,whether its pete or not am not sure.But anyway here we are talking about Vista quadrajet vs Swift ddis.

See this:Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT 140 PS 320 Nm | Diesel Tuning with CHIP Express™

^^^

Chip express? Which brand is this?

Pete's is a brand which is well known for it's quality, longevity & reliability as they test their products on cars first (to be aware of any issues or complications it may cause) & then launch the product. That's why it is expensive.

We are not aware of any long term reviews with this Chip Express.

Meanwhile, I was expecting a reply from you, so before I get flamed for the same, I spoke to another guy who is not exactly in car mods, but deals in supply of performance parts in Mumbai. He also confirmed that performance mods are not usually done on the TDi or Dicor engine. Professionals warn the customers (if he insists) that if anything goes kaput, they are not responsible.

Last edited:
^^
Tdi is old generation engine and its genes go as back as 1987,so expecting it to be modification ready is expecting too much,IMHO.

Though Dicor should be performance ready.I am also not sure about this Chip Express,but they do enhance dicor's performance that is for sure.

Now Rajeev bhaiya lets talk about the topic,i.e.,Vista vs Swift.If you want to talk about TATA engine's compatibility against performance box/chips, then please open a dedicated thread will you.

Top Bottom