New Tata Indica Vista Test Drive

Thread Starter #1
My elder cousin brother was looking for car. He asked me to help.

His requirements –

• A hatch
  • Diesel- 1000+ km/month
  • Budget Max – 5.5L
  • Must have fractures – Power steering, AC, Power windows, ABS, Airbags
  • Should carry 5 comfortably
  • 60-40 split seats as he requires frequently carrying some luggage
  • Good for both city and highway drive

Cars considered

1. Swift – We all love swift very much and it’s our first preference. Checked – but Not selected as a] Hugh waiting period >6 months b] Zdi is way too much expensive.
  2. Figo – Again it’s a good car but rejected due to a] Titanium is above budget b] Low ground clearance c]No power windows
  3. Beat-Ritz – Rejected due to looks
  4. Punto-Polo-Fabia-I20-Micra – No due to budget constraints
  5. Vista – Selected

My brother visited showroom alone to inquire about Vista and he came to know about the recent facelift. Also yesterday an exhibition was in pune by 2 Tata dealers .There was an offer on spot booking as – Tank full petrol, 1 gram gold coin, Lucky draw on exhibition entry registration – can win Nokia mobile, On booking 1 more lucky draw – win Blackberry phone.
Offer on Old vista – 10000 + free insurance (15000) + exchange bonus (15000)
Offer on New vista – 10000 + exchange bonus (15000)

So we went there – There were so many people, All Tata – Fiat cars on display. Unfortunately no one was looking for Fiat (Punto - Linea) surprisingly I wonder why? [confused]

We asked for Vista TD and immediately we offered – I had taken it –
It was Vista VX Qudrajet model

• Space
  • Fresh interiors
  • Feel a lot airy cabin
  • ICE with USB and Bluetooth (Not tested though but seen many people successfully testing later in demo car) Sound quality was good.
  • Manza like design and headlights.
  • Electric Adjustable ORVM – The joystick worked nice.
  • Audio Control on sporty steering Wheel.
  • Comfortable Fabric Lined seats both front and back.
  • 60/40 seat split.
  • Decent boot space.
  • Power Windows (Front & Rear).
  • Plastic quality is also good not the best.

Dislikes

• Centre Display Unit (May be as I am used to side unit)
  • Some kind of rod in middle at back side
  • Tyrus -1 Display car has Goodyear and other has Bridgestone. I asked about this to SE and he said it comes company fitted and they cannot change. I insisted for Bridgestone but SE refused to commit anything.

Driving -

I have taken the drivers position. The front visibility is quite good. Seat is quite comfortable. I was trying to adjust the mirror using joystick but not working. Oups my mistake I haven’t started the car.:stupid:
Now I started the car immediately there was some warning - for seat-belt not fastened. Good.
But before starting the car the SE told me to press clutch while starting. Why? I asked him? He said this is new in this car. Now I don’t know what is this? Or is it true? Experts please comment.

I was surprised to see the silent engine; there was quite a low engine noise inside the cabin. It’s time to play now – first gear – clutch was soft so as the gear shift. Car pulled nicely initial pickup is good. Now second – what about rpm’s ? Where can I see this? Oh it’s at the center console. OK 1500 rpm. Now third at 2000 the car was pulling nicely but I do felt some lag. (May be I expect it same like my zen) but after forth the car was going nice. I have not done the high speed check as it was late and it was not allowed to take the car outside the exhibition area. So taken reverse turn and came back.
I felt the steering a bit heavy. Overall I liked the driving experience, a very short though to judge a vehicle. I felt that this will be a perfect car for my brother as he is not an aggressive driver. He also said OK.

Booking –
Finally decided to book it to grab the offers.
Now the offer mentioned in the news paper as –
Bonus 10000 + free insurance (15000) + exchange bonus (15000)

My brother thought free insurance offer is also there for new vista but SE told as that its not.

He wants to go for LX which is 575317 on road PCMC (575317 – 10000 – 15000 = 550317) so final amount will be 550317 (perfect fit for his budget) which is actually 5,65,317L for LX

But I was willing to go for VX which is 594771 on road (594771 – 10000 = 5,84,771 Final amount)

There is hardly difference of 20k so I suggested him to go for VX- what we get extra in VX than LX in 20k? 20 Extra Features in 20k

1. ABS with EBD – Most important IMO
  2. Tilt-Adjustable Steering
  3. RPM Meter (Tachometer)
  4. Power Windows (Front & Rear)
  5. Front Fog Lamps
  6. Rear Fog Lamps
  7. Height-Adjustable Driver's Seat
  8. 60:40 Flip & Fold on Rear Seat
  9. Light Intensity Adjustment for Instrument Cluster
  10. Rear Windscreen De-mister
  11. Storage tray under co-driver’s seat
  12. Interior Color Scheme Dual Tone (Ebony Black & Sahara Beige)
  13. Warning for driver door open
  14. Warning for seat-belt not fastened
  15. Internal Rear View mirror (IRVM) (Anti glare)
  16. Chrome Lining Around Fog lamps
  17. Chrome Lining on Front Bumper
  18. Premium Chrome Weather Strip
  19. Colored Rub Rails with Chrome Lining
  20. Handles With Chrome Lining (Body Colored with Chrome Lining)
So finally my brother said OK will go with VX.

Final quote:
Ex showroom 5,30,440
Insurance 15,925
Rto 37,806
Handling 5,500
Extended warranty (2+2) 5,100
On Road – 5,94,771

Final – 5,94,771 – 10,000 – 5100 = 5,79,671

At last I had asked about free accessories - now the SE simply refused to give anything as it’s a newly launched car.

But after insisting for 10 minutes he called manager and manager agreed to give us

Mats, Mud flaps, Steering cover, Perfume, Coating + waxing, Body cover for free.

+ Tank full Diesel (37 Ltr) + 1 gram Gold coin (Exhibition offer) [clap]

Visa is a good specious VFM family car.[thumbswink]

Re: New Tata Vista – Test-Drive

But before starting the car the SE told me to press clutch while starting. Why? I asked him? He said this is new in this car. Now I don’t know what is this? Or is it true? Experts please comment
Its a new feature or to be specific safety feature in Vista that you cant crank the engine unless the clutch is activated (pressed)

@Surfer, Great review. Nice to read a review about new Vista by a fellow TAIan. No doubt New Vista is a true VFM car [thumbsup]

Its a new feature or to be specific safety feature in Vista that you cant crank the engine unless the clutch is activated (pressed)

@Surfer, Great review. Nice to read a review about new Vista by a fellow TAIan. No doubt New Vista is a true VFM car [thumbsup]
Yes pressing the clutch before cranking the engine avoids excess of load on the alternator & battery.
And also there would be no shakes while starting a diesel engine.

And i mainly think if this car has a glow plug therefore to delay the starting of car, because if cars are equipped with glow plug they help in cold start of the engine.

Thread Starter #4

Thanks carfreak and mukeshus

Yes pressing the clutch before cranking the engine avoids excess of load on the alternator & battery.
And also there would be no shakes while starting a diesel engine.
Thanks for information. BTW which other car has this feature ?

Thanks carfreak and mukeshus

Thanks for information. BTW which other car has this feature ?
This is actually not a feature, it would be rather called as preventive measure.

Well Scorpio with Micro Hybrid, automatically switches ON , on pressing clutch.

Glow plug if equipped helps in morning cold start of engine in one crank , fires the engine.

Most of the manual(chevy beat and swift) requests to star a car with clutch depressed.

BTW,
My congratulations to surfers elder cousin brother for selecting The New Tata Indica Vista.
A car that would make the family really happy(passengers).Driver oriented car like swift(old, don't know about new one) may make the an enthusiast happy but not your beloved family members riding at the back,why become so selfish!
Do post some pics.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

Thanks point_city96
Do post some pics.
Well didn't get time for that. We reached at exibition at 7 PM and offer was going to end at 8PM, So was difficult to manage TD and dealing in 1 hour.

Do pass my heartiest congratulations to your cousin.
Wise decision to book the car in exhibition.
And we are expecting pics of new car after delivery. If your brother permits.

Thread Starter #10

And we are expecting pics of new car after delivery. If your brother permits.
Sure, will post detail pics with more review.

Excellent review Surfer. I must say you have covered minute details of the car. Good to know that the plastic quality has improved. Kudos to your bargaining skills, you managed to get good no. of freebies.

Convey my Congrats to your cousin Brother . thanks for Excellent review.[clap]

I too like Vista, but i hate Center mounted console.

don't forgot to post the updates & pics.

I also visited the exhibition on Sunday afternoon. I found the new Vista to be better with good brakes. VX model makes perfect sense to buy if you are not willing to go for the top model with alloys, airbags and seat-belt with pretensioners and load limiters. Space is definitely a plus and I felt the power to be good in vista.

I was also looking for Punto but they didn't had Punto on display. IMHO, vista qjd is a nice car but underrated. Just upgrade to 15" alloys and car will become perfect.

Convey my Congratulations to your brother.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
you managed to get good no. of freebies.
Thanks akash. Well I want even more.If it was not exhibition I could have managed more.

Any specific reason why you didn't go for extended warranty ?
Even I want to go for extended warranty but the SE said it's only for engine.
I believe in Fiat engine so it doesn't makes sense to spend 5k extra.

don't forgot to post the updates & pics.
Sure, Thanks.

Top Bottom