New Swift ZDi ICE’d – Sad Story with Happy Ending

Thread Starter #1
My ICEing experience is worth sharing.. it had many bitter elements but finally it turned out to be a sweet story.

before going into details I would like to tell few things about my music needs.

I use an iPod classic 160 gb in my car and rarely use cds or usbs!

My 3 year old iPOD classic recently died, so bought a new one,So music in car means iPOD Classic as the main source. I am very particular about music being sort in order with all details like artist,album and ALBUM ART.

I listen to all genre of songs depending on my mood. so these were my basic priorities ,when I decided to update my stock music system.

I belong to KOTTAYAM,Kerala,so naturally my ICEing experiments were limited to KOTTAYAM. there are mainly 3 or 4 accessory shops in Kottayam,my first experience was with my old swift ,since I dont want disclose names ,will say as shop 1. all I did was front coaxial s from alpine and rear oval coaxial s from JBL ,no sub ,no amp ..head unit was basic 2din touch screen DVD player from pioneer.I the way the person fitted them,made me cry,how crude. front panel had dents and scratches.

But main ,problem was whenever I opted for my roots horn,the player will restart,that was the quality of electrical works. so when I bought my new swift ,never even considered this shop. frustration]

So there comes this big new shop, lets call them shop 2,so I was totally confused ,I liked the look of OEM HU ,so was not wiling to change,all had in my mind was up gradation of speaker system. OEM speakers are crap.

So met two guys ,who let me believe that they know what they are doing and they are BIG AUTO EXPERTS,the shop is pretty huge with good resting area,great collection of alloys, tyres and accessories.I was so impressed ,I believed him blindly,when I disclosed my prior horrible experience with ICEing,he told me that he has best persons,and he has done modding on even BMWs. O.k so I gave him my car went home,since he wont let me stand there,he told me it will take 6 hours for padding and fitting components from AUDITOR (rip 165s)

so accessories planned,2 sets of auditor rip165s, (cost near 10000) ,damping of all 4 doors with dynamat extreme (cost 3000* 4 =12000) and 3d Kagu mat (cost 3800). So when I went back ,the scene was horrifying ,all my four doors were drilled down when asked he told me,this is the ideal position for tweeters and dynamatting was done only on two back doors,rest was some other brand(dr.silencer). he told me dr.silencer is new name for dynamat.

Since I had great expectations, didn't argue even the damping was not with lots of gap and without using heating. I stood dump.

I gave them car at 2.30 pm,gave it back only at 7.30 pm. result Shop owners "hope you are extermely satisfied with our work"

Me "sure". I was doped. by there way of talking and BIG DADDY attitude

Uploading pictures of door holes ,and improper damping.

Later the so called Kagu turned out to be cheap duplicate, I managed them to take it back and got my money back. now I bought original Kagu spyder 3D mat from other shop.

Attention. who ever is planning to buy 3D mats,go specifically for KAGU or other reputed brands,which is better fitting and better quality. do keep in mind ,there are duplicate stuff everywhere.sure. they will be costlier,but worth the money.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Re: ICED SWIFT ZDi--sad story with happy ending

I was NOT impressed with the setup. hissing was obvious from tweeters. STOCK HU had only 3 equalizer preset. couldnt do much. above all it was not good to look at those tweeters sitting on my door,when there was an ideal place for placing tweeters ,near side view mirror.

So I did some home work,

what I learned are

1) for a car like ,swift with limited interior volume,its good to go for front component and rear Coaxial

2)AUDITOR, even-though is owned by FOCAL,there is no comparison in performance

3) the damping is NOT JUST STICK IT and leave it stuff.

4) DYNAMAT has nothing to do with dr.silencer

5)ICEing is NO CHILD'S PLAY. ONLY TO be DONE BY EXPERTS. not by some KIDS, who hasn't even went to school. (MOST OF THE ACCESSORY SHOPS ,use ,youngsters with no basic knowledge in electricals,they all start as helpers in some shop ,later becomes expert ftters [frustration] just attaching two wires wont do the thing.)

6) if electrical s are done by ,this sort of people with no knowledge ,you may even set your car on fire. no wonder why we hear stories of burned cars.I will say its fault of accessory shop. most of the cars will have something ,fitted from the nearby accessory shop.

7)never leave your car ,stand there and watch. make sure they are NOT using joined wires with insulation tape wound around. insist for good quality wire.

8)never cut any wire,always INSIST FOR HARNESS

9)ask them to disconnect battery terminal while working,especially if your car is equipped with airbags

Now rest of the story, happy ending

So I did some hard effort to find out ,were I can ICE my car to my expectation. I came to know about a shop in Kochi called emperor,they have LONG TIME experience,and have MOSTLY HIGH END STUFF. They do not work at shop. do it at their workshop. So after talking with person,(owner). I selected only the HU ,JVC KW-AV70BT. rest was decided after meeting his brother , Mr.Suhaimi at workshop.I told him my past experience and my requirements. after careful listening he advised me to go for ALPINE 7inch full touch HU ,since I am using iPOD as my music source(Dont remember model number: was costlier by 4000). but since it had NO DVD DRIVE,and nondetachable faceplate,I insisted for JVC. rest of the stuff

front component--FOCAL ACCESS 165A1

rear coaxial --MOREL

Amplifier --JVC KS-AX3102(2/1 channel)

sub woofer --JL AUDIO

high quality wiring ,steering control interface

modding of damping done

packing all doors with special wool ? material

and filling holes in door with dummy tweeter boxes( searching for correct size box took some 1 and half hours)

What I liked about this place,

1.they don't have cozy waiting area , naturally we are forced to see every thing. here owner himself is looking into everything ,the way he dismantle tells me how much care is needed. no dent no scratch. got all proper tools

2.attention to detail. to get the right tweeter dummy box they searched for 1 and half hours. from the huge pile of the same, to get exactly same 4 boxes(see picture)

3.very friendly and approachable person. not trying to impose something,let me choose whats needed (unlike shop 2 at Kottayam,were he thinks he knows everything and will impose what is right for us, even argues)

4.all the materials used are of highest quality ,for making sub woofer detachable ,special switch by MX is used.[clap]

Now I have a perfect working system, This is the best system I ever had,no hissing,no distortion,no rattling. he even did a follow up call on next day,to make sure that there is nothing wrong.

Now I can use my roots megasonic,no dimming of head lights even with music. wiring is neat with ''additional FUSE" to make things risk proof.

JVC KW AV7 BT is an excellent unit,great sound quality,pairing my iphone was just a one time process ,after that it pairs automatically. BT sound quality is very good ,no need to use my Samsung headsets anymore. clear on both sides. screen will go to sleep mode( if you set so) a slight wave of hand will wake it as this HU is enabled with motion sensor. I am very much impressed with JVC. even has 2 years warranty

Attachments

Re: New Swift ZDi ICE’d – Sad Story with Happy Ending

Hi Can you please upload a long view of the Dash board.i would like to see the look with JVC HU. i am planning for the same.if possible please upload with and without HU ON.

Hi all,

After a lot of research and confusions finally i made a decision to go with Mauthi HU. i got a brand new Head unit from one of my friend for (7.5k). Then i directly went to Emperor car accessories Kochin and told them about the sound requirement. Also we cant extentend USB option as simple as other HU with an extension cable,this HU requires some alteration as it doesn't have direct USB out. Emporer car accessories have done it for me without any additional cost. Also suggested to go with Focal Integration component speakers for better sound quality with Stock HU and without Amp.
total cost 20K ( HU+ spkers+ alteration+ professional service).

***I havent put rear speakers...

i know its bit costly but i am completely satisfied with the sound quality.... those focal speakers are excellent....
good bass, good clarity, very detailed highs..etc..
only problem is if i keep volume 20+ ( more than 12 point is not required actually) then My Swift will start to vibrate due to the punch of those Speakers.

Thread Starter #9

Hi all,

After a lot of research and confusions finally i made a decision to go with Mauthi HU. i got a brand new Head unit from one of my friend for (7.5k). Then i directly went to Emperor car accessories Kochin and told them about the sound requirement. Also we cant extentend USB option as simple as other HU with an extension cable,this HU requires some alteration as it doesn't have direct USB out. Emporer car accessories have done it for me without any additional cost. Also suggested to go with Focal Integration component speakers for better sound quality with Stock HU and without Amp.
total cost 20K ( HU+ spkers+ alteration+ professional service).

***I havent put rear speakers...

i know its bit costly but i am completely satisfied with the sound quality.... those focal speakers are excellent....
good bass, good clarity, very detailed highs..etc..
only problem is if i keep volume 20+ ( more than 12 point is not required actually) then My Swift will start to vibrate due to the punch of those Speakers.
[clap] go for padding and damping,your car will rock[;)]

I have changed my amp to 4 channel jl audio( from Emperor,Kochi) and changed center fascia to carbon fibre styling kit(from ,dealer at Kottayam,did it myself)
How much it cost (4 channel amp). Put some pictures on your interior modifications (long shot and closer one too)

Top Bottom