New Maruti Swift Versus Rest of the Competition!

Your favourite hatchback?

• Total voters
Hmmm a nice and interesting poll.

If its petrol its Jazz for me eyes closed , no other choices. It has all the ingredients for a perfect hatch and after the recent price-cut it is even more tempting.

When it comes to diesel its going to be a really tough choice!

Swift DDIS -One great car to drive but somehow i am still not able to accept Swift as a premium car especially when many other better options are available for the same price in our market.

Liva- No diesel

Vista- Somehow i am not yet able to convince myself to buy a TATA. Their A.S.S needs to show some professionalism.

Punto- I will consider 90HP , love everything about the car!

Figo- Somehow Figo has failed to create an interest inside me even though i hear many good reviews about the diesel engine.

Polo - Though it misses some features of a premium car it still has the engineering , the dynamics and the build quality which makes it hard for me to ignore this car.

i20- People call Hyundai a crap but this is one good car i will definitely consider.

Micra- Not really interested in the car.

Fabia- Skoda's A.S.S is a turn-off!

My final contenders are Punto 90HP , i20 CRDI and Polo TDI. I have never driven the Polo and i20 CRDI till now. So will take extensive TD of all the above cars and go in for one which suits me more.

For me Fabia is all the way. [thumbsup]

It is a damn good car with good feature list (striped down but still). Gives a big car feel and finish is has it is own story. Definitely India's first premium hatch and still people target it. Sale of new avatar is clear cut evidence that how much people wanted it so the movement they lower the price it is selling like hot cakes. I agree it is no match on performance if we compare it with Swift but it gives the maximum leg space at the rear and biggest boot still in the segment.

After Sale Support: [anger] hmmm. It is problematic but still things are improving (heard). If we can believe Fiat, I think we can also believe Skoda. (No offense intended for Fiat owners)

Note:- I have got following spare part list, they are not very expensive. Please do not compare with Maruti or Hyundai.

Attachments

Vista- Somehow i am not yet able to convince myself to buy a TATA. Their A.S.S needs to show some professionalism.
@dhaya -100 percent right. that is what exactly is the isue with Tata. they have good network good technology and everything else but they lack Professionalism. right from the production of cars to sales to After sales service they utterly lack it.

Today i myself has been to showroom of suzuki and honda a back to back comaprison.
All new honda jazz petrol and all new swift diesal.
Diesal vs petrol may be bit contradictory so let us only look at ergonomics not the engine perfomance.

Overall both of them had an edge from my point of view but it was Jazz which won for many reasons.(sorry swift lovers ,swift lost especially due to its rear part issues only.)

I am wondering whether:stupid: shall i put my short review here or in another thread?

My opinion

Performance
Petrol
1. Polo1.6 = Fabia 1.6
2. Jazz 1.2 = Swift 1.2 = Punto 1.4 = Vista 1.2 [all 90 HP]
3. Polo1.2 = Fabia 1.2 = I20 1.2
4. Micra 1.2 = Liva 1.2 = Punto1.2 = Ritz 1.2
5. Figo 1.2 = Beat 1.2 = I10 1.2
6. Aveo 1.2

Diesel
1. Swift
2. Figo
2. Micra = Ritz = Vista
3. I20 = Punto
4. Fabia = Polo

Handling
1. Punto = Liva
2. Jazz = Swift
3. Polo = Fabia = Micra = I20
4. Ritz = Vista = Figo
5. Beat = I10
6. Aveo

Interior quality
1. I20 = Fabia = Jazz
2. Swift = Polo
3. Micra = I10 = Beat
4. Figo = Aveo = Punto = Ritz
5. Vista = Liva

Safety
1. I20
2. Fabia = Polo = Punto
3. Jazz = Swift = Micra = Vista
4. Figo = Beat = Ritz
5. I10 = Aveo

Pricing
1. Jazz
2. Swift
3. Figo = Beat = Ritz = I10 = Vista
4. Fabia = Polo = Punto = Micra = Liva = I20
5. Aveo

Resale
1. Swift
2. Jazz = I20
3. Polo = Fabia = Ritz = I10
4. Vista = Punto = Liva
5. Figo = Micra
6. Aveo

Mileage (ARAI)
Petrol
1. Swift - 22 kmpl
2. I10 - 20 kmpl
3. Ritz = Micra = Liva = Beat - 18 kmpl
4. Polo 1.2 = Fabia 1.2 = I20 = Vista - 17 kmpl
5. Figo = Punto - 16 kmpl
6. Polo 1.6 = Fabia 1.6 = Aveo - 15 kmpl

Diesel
1. Swift - 24 kmpl
2. I20 = Micra -23 kmpl
3. Ritz = Polo - 21 kmpl
4. Fabia = Vista = Figo = 20 kmpl
5. Punto - 18 kmpl
l
Ass
1. Maruti Suzuki - Swift, Ritz
2. Hyundai - I10 = 120
3. Honda - Jazz
4. Toyota - Liva = Tata - Vista = Fiat - Punto = GM - Aveo
5. Nissan - Micra
6. VV - Polo = Skoda - Fabia

Looks
Subjective [glasses]

My choice
Petrol - Jazz
Diesel - Swift
[thumbsup]

PS:These are all my personal opinion.

The poll should have option as Petrol or Diesel Hatch, Since Toyota Liva and Honda Jazz comes only with Petrol Engine. If Liva availbale in Diesel my vote will go to Liva, for diesel hatch its Tata Vista- VFM.

Today ,Finally i had a chance to see the ANswift.

Interior looks, especially the dashboard area have a premium feel. 4/5.

MP3,usb ACC good but missing bluetooth and phone features-3.5/5

the doors panels and other ergonomics also looks as well as feels good.4/5

reclining seats and tilt steering reminded me Tata indica vista , the comfort and excellent seating position of previous swift is no more -3/5.

gear shifts and pedal feel average (not so much premium for modern standard)-3.5/5

the roof light in the middle of cabin did not look impressive (at least for a premium car)-2/5.

front leg room and cubby holes were adequate for normal for an premium hatchback-4/5

the rear seat was not very much comfortable gave a vertical position to sit and head rest gave discomfort though leg room was just enough butfelt cramped -2.5/5

boot space was terrible, (least premium-1.5/5)

exterior looked impressive-4/5

body panels especially doors,roofs,tail gate felt rigid-4/5.

15" wheels looked great-4/5

the rear bumper was too plasticy and rubbery (too much of bumper)-3/5

same as above in front bumper-3/5

engine bay looked neat and well placed-4/5

External rear view mirrors are very large and well built -4/5

overall improvement from previous swift (i expected a complete change )-3/5

i asked my wife how did she felt -2.5/5,
my verdict -3.5/5

Attachments

Last edited:
Remaining Pics.
overall verdict did not push me for a test drive ,as we all know how swift drives moreover the rush was too much .

OTR price for higher end version was 7.07 lakh in Kannur(Kerala) with minimum of 6 months wait.

Attachments

My opinion

Interior quality
1. I20 = Fabia = Jazz
2. Swift = Polo
3. Micra = I10 = Beat
4. Figo = Aveo = Punto = Ritz
5. Vista = Liva

My choice
Petrol - Jazz
Diesel - Swift
[thumbsup]

PS:These are all my personal opinion.
You have equated Suzuki with VW in one case and Fiat in another. IMO the Interior Quality of the Suzuki's falls short of both VW and Fiat. VW & Skoda are the best. I saw the new Swift too and was not impressed with the quality. Not much of an improvement over the old Swift.

My choice would be the Punto or the Polo.

You have equated Suzuki with VW in one case and Fiat in another. IMO the Interior Quality of the Suzuki's falls short of both VW and Fiat. VW & Skoda are the best. I saw the new Swift too and was not impressed with the quality. Not much of an improvement over the old Swift.

My choice would be the Punto or the Polo.
Partially agree, fit and finish of VW is the best in the class. You need to see it to believe it. Punto has also the best build but interiors lack the quality and IMO Swift scores in interiors there.

I also feel that Liva should not be on the list as it belongs to entry level now, along with A-star, Beat etc.

@jayadev - agree with you on most points there. There is not much of an improvement. Except for a few things here and there, car feels the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Surfer
My opinion

Interior quality
1. I20 = Fabia = Jazz
Interior quality of jazz = i20 and fabia???o!!!!

somebody a typical honda fan is kidding..or may be paid by honda.

wait i will post my short review soon. interior plastic and centre console under gear lever almost came off when i pushed, the SE woman smiled and said that is normal and nobody pushes there...ridiculous.

swift =polo??

No way

even though they look and feels good but not well built in swift.
You tap them lightly and you hear rattling. where as Polo is built to last very rigid and tough same as Punto, but punto doesnt look as good as Polo interiors.

Last edited:
From where did you see this car.I har TD car was not there.VDI was in display.May be the demo car was inside.
I didnt feel anything special in new swift.Iremember the day I saw punto.It got me exited like nothing but not the new swift.
I have seen may people(media) saying the interior quality of jazz is as good as i20,better than ANHC.
My uncle drives a i20 AT and i didnt feel so great about its interiors.I didnt like the colours used,silver finish.
I have been inside of polo as well as i20,I felt the polo is better in interior,colours used for brilliant,good for the eyes,quality was too great,good build quality.After seeing its interior I felt why would one want t but vento petrol,considering,polo 1.6 is there.Just for boot and rear space?

Last edited:

Top Bottom