New Maruti Suzuki Swift Alpha Launched

UGLIEST Car in India.

Donot understand why people in India buy Maruti TOY cars , which even cannot make it's own engine/gear box!

All imported from Fiat or Suzuki.

A cheap company.
In that case buddy Audi, skoda, VW all share same engines. Jaguar does uses Peugeot and ford engines too . There is something in the auto industry called alliance which helps both the companies . And Fiat would have closed the shop long back in India if they were not selling there engines to tata, and maruti Suzuki as we all know inspite having good cars their sales are dismal .
So there is nothing wrong about sourcing engines from other companies .
As far as looks go I find only the swift good looking in there entire line up . So looks are subjective and there are more then 18,000 people in India who are buying this car every month and more who are ready to wait for 6 months .

Holy smoke!

Even the MS badge on it along with the comfy rear bench of the Ambassador can not save this disastrous piece of art. Maybe, Fiat's DDIS motor can do wonders like it always has [;-)]

Nowadays Limited Editions are just gimmicks. Just to fool poor Indians.
A limited edition should be like this [:D]
Refreshing memories to see the attachment over windshield. Good old Amby's.

Do we get such stuff for modern day cars? I will get one for my Vista.

How many saloon type models does Ford, Volkswagen, Hyundai, Fiat, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and other big wigs have?
Germans & Amercians are known for sedans & Americans even more for trucks. And in the line up mentioned by you, all the cos give true sedan unlike Maruti.

Eg. (Only those available in India for fair comparo)

VW has Vento, Jetta, Passat & Phaeton;
Toyota has Etios (though crap but better looking than new Dzire), the Corolla Altis & Camry;
Hyundai has Verna, Elantra, Sonata.

Issue is not just number but true sedans, which Maruti doesn't have. Infact, after scrapping of Esteem, Maruti has been limited only in small or B segment cars. No sedans, no UVs.

Maruti is good but only for those upgrading from 2 wheeler. I don't find any Maruti worth if one already owns a car. And the sole reason why I was looking for new Dzire is I don't like hatches & wanted something which is good to drive for buying some shopping stuff & take it to gym. Hence, Dzire came to my mind post sale of i10. For rest, the proper saloons are best.

Germans & Amercians are known for sedans & Americans even more for trucks. And in the line up mentioned by you, all the cos give true sedan unlike Maruti.

Eg. (Only those available in India for fair comparo)

VW has Vento, Jetta, Passat & Phaeton;
Toyota has Etios (though crap but better looking than new Dzire), the Corolla Altis & Camry;
Hyundai has Verna, Elantra, Sonata.

Issue is not just number but true sedans, which Maruti doesn't have. Infact, after scrapping of Esteem, Maruti has been limited only in small or B segment cars. No sedans, no UVs.

Maruti is good but only for those upgrading from 2 wheeler. I don't find any Maruti worth if one already owns a car. And the sole reason why I was looking for new Dzire is I don't like hatches & wanted something which is good to drive for buying some shopping stuff & take it to gym. Hence, Dzire came to my mind post sale of i10. For rest, the proper saloons are best.
So brother what do you call the SX4 and the Kizashi. What is it about them thats make them NOT A TRUE SEDAN. BTW, how do you define a true sedan? Never heard a 3 box vehicle not being termed as sedan, but here we have something called a true sedan as well.

Also no matter what the junta says about the old Dzire that it wasn't a sedan but a hatch with a boot, well a sedan is a hatch with a boot and is a mere term used to describe vehicles with such body and to make distinction and categorize cars accordingly. Just like there is no difference between an MUV and an SUV and the latest Maruti offering LUV [lol], its only a marketing gimmick to differentiate between a lifestyle truck and a pick-up/utility truck/van. FYI, since you're appreciating the Esteem (I do too), its another vehicle based on the same idea; hatch with a boot. Read up a little to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(automobile)

All the makes that you mentioned, it's only VW that has 4 sedans, rest all have either have 2 or 3 sedan types, either of which I don't call phenomenally larger than the Suzuki sedan line-up of 3, even if you don't want to consider the Dzire, then 2.

Suzuki has had the now discontinued Versa and Old Grand Vitara XL7, and currently Omni, the Gypsy and Gypsy King, Eeco, and the Grand Vitara as UVs in their current line-up, right from the very affordable and reliable Omni, a little modern and basic Eeco, to the bare basic off-road ready G. King and the GV in the higher segment, also in 4x4, and the latest being the Ertiga which I feel is a very lifestyle van, liked it.

Only for the India comparo like you mentioned, Americans sedans have been a poor show in India, comparing sedans in the same category i.e. Aveo vs Dzire, Optra vs SX4, Optra vs Baleno, Aveo vs Esteem. Cruze and Kizashi fall under different price range hence not compared.

Where Suzuki fails is the brand image, oweing to alot to the desi name Maruti and the the cheap and affordability factor associated with the Alto, 800, etc which we largely consider it to be low on the snob quotient, this is exactly where others succeed.

One last thing, do check out the Kizashi.

Fully agree with Iron rock's views that members should desist from making absurd comments on the looks of a particular vehicle. Such comments only lead to "tu,tu....main,main" arguments in the forum rather than any useful knowledge. And one tends to lose interest in the forum. I would rather watch that "saas bahu serial" on tv if i wanted to. Kindly refrain in future..thanking you in advance.[thumbsup]

So brother what do you call the SX4 and the Kizashi. What is it about them thats make them NOT A TRUE SEDAN. BTW, how do you define a true sedan? Never heard a 3 box vehicle not being termed as sedan, but here we have something called a true sedan as well.

Also no matter what the junta says about the old Dzire that it wasn't a sedan but a hatch with a boot, well a sedan is a hatch with a boot and is a mere term used to describe vehicles with such body and to make distinction and categorize cars accordingly. Just like there is no difference between an MUV and an SUV and the latest Maruti offering LUV [lol], its only a marketing gimmick to differentiate between a lifestyle truck and a pick-up/utility truck/van. FYI, since you're appreciating the Esteem (I do too), its another vehicle based on the same idea; hatch with a boot. Read up a little to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(automobile)

All the makes that you mentioned, it's only VW that has 4 sedans, rest all have either have 2 or 3 sedan types, either of which I don't call phenomenally larger than the Suzuki sedan line-up of 3, even if you don't want to consider the Dzire, then 2.

Suzuki has had the now discontinued Versa and Old Grand Vitara XL7, and currently Omni, the Gypsy and Gypsy King, Eeco, and the Grand Vitara as UVs in their current line-up, right from the very affordable and reliable Omni, a little modern and basic Eeco, to the bare basic off-road ready G. King and the GV in the higher segment, also in 4x4, and the latest being the Ertiga which I feel is a very lifestyle van, liked it.

Only for the India comparo like you mentioned, Americans sedans have been a poor show in India, comparing sedans in the same category i.e. Aveo vs Dzire, Optra vs SX4, Optra vs Baleno, Aveo vs Esteem. Cruze and Kizashi fall under different price range hence not compared.

Where Suzuki fails is the brand image, oweing to alot to the desi name Maruti and the the cheap and affordability factor associated with the Alto, 800, etc which we largely consider it to be low on the snob quotient, this is exactly where others succeed.

One last thing, do check out the Kizashi.
In a way what s class says is right . True sedan I think He means is that maruti has not devloped something keeping a sedan platform in mind .
Sx4 is a compact crossover sold everywhere in USA and uk and many countries , they just added a boot to it here in India .
Same with the dezire too .
The only sedan they had was esteem it was not derived from something .
And they have the Kizashi which is a beautiful sedan but dint click here .
Keeping the esteem platform in mind they must desgin something modern and nice it can give stiff competition to others.

Polo hatch - Vento sedan
Skoda fabia- rapid sedan
They did the same what maruti did just added a boot ,but the implementation was great it was seamless and elegant IMO .
Maruti again IMO dint do it in seamless way so though it's very subjective I don't find there sedans other then Kizashi elegant and beautiful .

In a way what s class says is right . True sedan I think He means is that maruti has not devloped something keeping a sedan platform in mind .
Sx4 is a compact crossover sold everywhere in USA and uk and many countries , they just added a boot to it here in India .
The only sedan they had was esteem it was not derived from something .
And they have the Kizashi which is a beautiful sedan but dint click here .
Keeping the esteem platform in mind they must desgin something modern and nice it can give stiff competition to others.
+1 Raja.
This is what I meant to say. Maruti is more or less dependent on its hatches for sales. I also haven't seen a single person who wants to buy sedan & hence goes to Maruti showroom. And as far as sedan is concerned, lets is say saloon & notchback to be precise. Small boot integrated from C pillar like new Dzire is called notchback & not sedan. Even Maruti brochure calls Dzire as notchback only.

Even VW Jetta for so long was based on VW Golf only. The 2011 Jetta is the first one which has been designed from scratch with sedan in mind.

Kizashi as a car is good but for 18L+, I would anytime pick Passat.

A bmw or audi costing 25 lacs is actually of 12 lacs and only 100% import duty makes them 25-30 lacs. And then these companies loot people with sky rocket prices.
Maybe Indians overpay for these cars [:D]. These cars keep developing some electrical problems or the other , infact a maruti 5 lac cars has very few problems

So all other brands like skoda,VW etc first make their car reliable . Maruti is the most reliable as simple as that. It doesnt loot people thats all [thumbsup]

A bmw or audi costing 25 lacs is actually of 12 lacs and only 100% import duty makes them 25-30 lacs. And then these companies loot people with sky rocket prices.
Maybe Indians overpay for these cars [:D]. These cars keep developing some electrical problems or the other , infact a maruti 5 lac cars has very few problems

So all other brands like skoda,VW etc first make their car reliable . Maruti is the most reliable as simple as that. It doesnt loot people thats all [thumbsup]
Dear what you say is right but how can you blame Audi or BMW for being expensive you need to blame out govt for having such norms .
Concerning electricals yes they fail not with them it can happen to many cars , our xuv being such a great car still has electrical problems .
Maruti makes budget cars and is extremely competent in doing that no question about that and kizashi is full of electricals too which may fail too.

Maybe Indians overpay for these cars. These cars keep developing some electrical problems or the other , infact a maruti 5 lac cars has very few problems

So all other brands like skoda,VW etc first make their car reliable . Maruti is the most reliable as simple as that. It doesnt loot people thats all
Higher price is due to import duty of Govt & not these car cos.
And as far as 5L maruti is concerned, it won't have electrical probs for the simple reason that it doesn't have anything besides horn & light [lol].
Tomorrow you will say bullock cart is niggle free vehicle, ofcourse until the bulls run away [lol].

In a way what s class says is right . True sedan I think Sx4 is a compact crossover sold everywhere in USA and uk and many countries , they just added a boot to it here in India .
The only sedan they had was esteem it was not derived from something.

SX4 is available as both a hatchback and saloon type in the US. Refer: Suzuki SX4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Esteem or the global Swift was very well derived from a hatchback. Its earlier generation models were hatchback kinds. Refer: Suzuki Cultus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+1 Raja.
This is what I meant to say. Maruti is more or less dependent on its hatches for sales.

Very True.

And as far as sedan is concerned, lets is say saloon & notchback to be precise. Small boot integrated from C pillar like new Dzire is called notchback & not sedan. Even Maruti brochure calls Dzire as notchback only.

Not entirely true. A notchback is actually a full 3 box sedan/saloon. What you are refering and each one of us refer to as a notchback is actually a hatchback type sedan, this is what is generally used in the industry and had been coined in the dictionary back in the day but is seldom used. Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(automobile)

Also, Saloon is British for a 3 box car and Sedan is American, have the same definition.

On a funny note, small boot integrated cars are termed right as "CS" : Confused Sedans [;)].

Last edited:

Top Bottom