New Honda Brio SMT - Ownership Review

HI Sudeep,
Many congratulations on your new ride. Incidentally I own both iterations of the famed 1.2 ivtec engine, ie: jazz & brio. Jazz entered our family first & we were hooked on totally. Brio was the next obvious choice & boy, it has been a showstopper. Amazing pickup, go-kartish handling....I mean traffic or no traffic its always a pleasure. Even the ride is so settled, I never expected it be so, after living with the jazz, which is a bit stiff.

Hi Naveen,

I did go through your entire thread before picking up mine..[:)]

Yes, you are right about the body coloured side protectors getting scratched.. But since they are removable, if there is a noticeable scratch, you can get it touched up, it should not look odd. And I think you should get one, as its better than getting a scratch on the door of a new car.[:)]

Next, I am attaching the price list of BRIO Accessories published by one dealer. The prices are more or less same in all dealerships.
EG : The rear Cargo protector is mentioned as rear panel lining. I remember paying 496.00 for it.

I hope this helps.
Hi Sandeep,
where did you get this price list from (which dealer) The one that i got from RR gurgaon has side door protector as 5K!!!...
Any one in Delhi NCR who has got a Black (unpainted) side/door protector installed?

Congrats sudeep.roy on your new buy. Brio in blue is a head turner for sure. Have started seeing many Brio's here in Chandigarh too and mostly either in blue or the red color. Looks fabulous in both.
Wish you clock many happy miles in your car. Drive safe!

Thread Starter #35
HI Sudeep,
Many congratulations on your new ride. Incidentally I own both iterations of the famed 1.2 ivtec engine, ie: jazz & brio. Jazz entered our family first & we were hooked on totally. Brio was the next obvious choice & boy, it has been a showstopper. Amazing pickup, go-kartish handling....I mean traffic or no traffic its always a pleasure. Even the ride is so settled, I never expected it be so, after living with the jazz, which is a bit stiff.
Hi Jazzy,

Thank you, and I cannot agree more with you on the handling bit. Its a sheer pleasure to drive the BRIO, and coupled with this 4.5M turning radius, its a perfect city ride.

Also, I have gone through your ownership thread of alabaster silver Brio in details before booking my ride. I wasnt a member of TAI then. But it definately helped me in the decision making process. So thanks a lot!!

Cheers.

Thread Starter #36
Hi Sandeep,
where did you get this price list from (which dealer) The one that i got from RR gurgaon has side door protector as 5K!!!...
Any one in Delhi NCR who has got a Black (unpainted) side/door protector installed?
HI Kaash55,

Yes you are right, Ring Road Honda - Gurgaon charges that much for the side protectors(5.2k infact). But thats including the paint job.
I picked my brio from the same dealership. And since I intended to have a body colour side protectors, I didnt bother.

Jazzy has an alabaster silver brio with black side protectors, may be he can help... (though he is from kolkata) .

Thread Starter #37
Congrats sudeep.roy on your new buy. Brio in blue is a head turner for sure. Have started seeing many Brio's here in Chandigarh too and mostly either in blue or the red color. Looks fabulous in both.
Wish you clock many happy miles in your car. Drive safe!
Thank you GM88.

Hey Sudeep.
I want to buy a small yet powerful PETROL hatch and I'm confused between Swift, Brio and Beat.
If I compare Swift and Brio, then what did you consider good in Brio above Swift, except both the Companies and Engines as I consider both of them equally good.
Car will be used mainly for everyday city driving by my mom and sister.

Hey Sudeep.
I want to buy a small yet powerful PETROL hatch and I'm confused between Swift, Brio and Beat.
If I compare Swift and Brio, then what did you consider good in Brio above Swift, except both the Companies and Engines as I consider both of them equally good.
Just my opinion--I found the Brio to be much better looking. Besides the new swift is just everywhere !! Your uncle has it,your friend has it ,everyone has it[roll] Brio will give you more exclusivity and the brag worthy Honda badge.

Besides the interior was much roomier and cheery than the swift. The black in the swift made me feel too claustrophobic. And the iVTEC in the Honda is just too sweet [evil]

To sum it up--You cant really go wrong with both these cars !! Both are excellent. But remember-the Swift in the Lxi and Vxi versions have HORRIBLE BRAKING [frustration] --and by horrible I mean really dangerous in case of emergency braking !! What was maruti thinking ?? Please do check out that if you plan to buy a lower end model of the Swift.

Last edited:
Hey Sudeep.
If you want a powerful petrol hatch,exclude beat.Beat has 80.5 bhp under tap but it is almost as heavy as the swift and brio(both are more powerful and bigger in terms overall length and width than beat).What it means is that beat is build well.

I heard the new swift is poor in low rpms.Correct me if I am wrong.I think brio is better in low rpms when compared to Jazz.
Swift is bigger car compared to brio.I think you have already enjoyed the wonderful ASS of maruti.
In terms of handling,I am not sure which is better.

And, yeah,swift has the black version of your ertiga's interior(but your ertiga don't have ACC).

Brio is a smaller car compared to swift.

Please mention your other requirements like whether your sister and mother want a car that is easier to park and drive in the city(I think brio is better in this case).

Beat is known for poor outside visibility.

Why not TD all of them.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41
Hey Sudeep.
Hi Saby,

Swift and Brio are both very good vehicles, and as rightly mentioned by har007, you cannot go wrong with either of them.

It all comes down to what exactly are you looking for.

For your mom and sis, I would recommend Brio any day cos,

1)Its a very easy car to drive. The steering is lighter than swift, and with a small turning radius, it makes a great city ride. The ride itself is very settled and comfortable.

2) Swift's body is bulged on the outside, that might account for more scratches in traffic.

3)Though Brio looks smaller than swift on the outside, interior space is more or less the same. I find the rear leg room much better in Brio.

4) Brio has superb all round visibility due to the big glass hatch, which is a boon for ladies. Swift is more claustrophobic.

5)I think your mom and sister might like the beige interiors of Brio over Swifts black interiors. It gives you an airy cheerful feeling about it.

6) Engine is powerful than swift.

7) Like har007 mentioned, everyone drives a swift...Since you already have an ertiga, which I feel is inspired from swift's front look, you might just want a new look.

8) The VXI lacks a few things like music system, speakers, steering mounted controls etc, which you find in Brio SMT onwards.

9)I found it more VFM than swift.

10)For me, the 'H' badge made a lot of sense.

Sudeep could you please tell me whether Brio's headlamps are H4 or some other size and the same for fog lamps.
Driver's manual will have the specifications for both Headlamps and fog lamps :-)

Thank you Har007, point_city69 & sudeep.roy.
Finally Brio is our car to be!
We would buy it with in 2 months, I've chosen S MT.
If budget will be a problem, then have to go for Beat, though its also a good car. But I surely want a Honda! [:)]
*I also have Honda Activa and I'm in love with it since the first day we bought it! [:D]

Thank you Har007, point_city69 & sudeep.roy.
Finally Brio is our car to be!
We would buy it with in 2 months, I've chosen S MT.
If budget will be a problem, then have to go for Beat, though its also a good car. But I surely want a Honda! [:)]
*I also have Honda Activa and I'm in love with it since the first day we bought it! [:D]
Why not go for the S(O)MT??

Top Bottom