New Hatchback Dilemma

Thread Starter #1
Dear friends, this is my first post in the forum! I'm currently working in Singapore but my parents are back in Kerala and I visit them often. As it's time to say bye bye to our trustworthy workhorse Maruti 800, I'm in search for a higher segment replacement.

I set my budget to "in and around" 5 lakhs, what could be a good purchase?

I need only petrol model (I think even at current price we need only petrol as the odo of our M800 shows an average running of 10k km per year, or is it worth to look for diesel ones?)

We need spacious vehicle (hence not longing for i10 and beat, else I liked the looks of these most. However, I'm not too bothered about the look)

Reasonably good power (especially when ac on), if can reach 100km/h effortlessly that's what all I need. But want a hassle free engine and build. I will be driving occasionally only, rest of the time will be chauffeur driven

Ford Figo (Lxi, or Exi) and Ritz Lxi or Vxi(if in the affordable range above 5L) are the ones I'm keenly looking. I know Ritz engine is superior but overall which of the above will be more VFM when mileage and maintenance taken in to account?

Any other model worth looking with this budget and criteria? How about Indica Vista Petrol? Is it as much trouble free as the above two?

I request the experts in this forum to share a few tips.

Thanking you

Re: New Hatchback dilema

Hi, A few points upfront- Figo has a very good suspension & excels in the ride n handling department. Ritz has a better (K series) engine. IF VFM is your main concern then Ritz should be your choice considering maintainance costs & resale value. But Figo does give a lot of equipment.
I personally am not much fond of Tatas. They have improved their cars & the new indica vista does give amazing features & is a manza lookalike but somehow it doesn't strike a chord with me at all.

As your'e not interested in i-10 because of space, I would suggest have a look at Brio. It starts at roughly 4lac, may look small from outside but trust me I'm a 6footer, I've sat inside, theres no issue with legroom & headroom. Plus you are getting the famed 1.2lt ivtec engine & the reliability of Honda Brand. In fact tests suggest that Brio is 1 of the fastest hatchbacks around. Its 0-100 time is similar to a 1.6 Fabia!!!

Cheers

Jazzy

If you are not looking for i10, i may suggest you to go for ritz, tried and tested K series engine, tall boy design which would suit your parents to get in and out of the car, better road visibility along with maruti ass.Brio you may ask them to have a look and have a test drive cause i havent driven or have sat inside it so cant comment.Else Ritz is the one to choose.

350Z

Core Team
Re: New Hatchback dilema

Welcome to The Automotive India. You have shortlisted some sensible cars and I would also vote for Ritz VXi (Preferably ABS) considering the given requirements. Being a Maruti it is expected to be wallet friendly on maintenance and hold a better resale value too. You can also avail loyalty bonus (if available) by exchanging your Maruti 800. Toyota Etios Liva and Nissan Micra are another two spacious hatchbacks which should suffice the needs and also come equipped with essential safety features as standard. Also, note that Chevrolet is launching Sail hatchback in sometime which is likely to carry the same DNA of its predecessor in terms of space and comfort. Maruti Suzuki has also announced about their plans to bring Ritz backlift. Just in case you are ready to wait, these are some cars to watch out for.

As your'e not interested in i-10 because of space, I would suggest have a look at Brio. It starts at roughly 4lac, may look small from outside but trust me I'm a 6footer, I've sat inside, theres no issue with legroom & headroom.
Honda Brio is awesome for self driven. Front seats are comfortable but I really didn’t feel so for the rear.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Brio is very good small hatch. Although it looks alien-like and small, its really cute and stand out amongst the roads in Kerala [:D].. It has excellent 1.2L motor, that wont give any lag , with A.C. ON , as in M800 . As jazzy said, Its spacious inside. Why not the new Swift VXi/ Lxi ? Its a very good option. Very good motor, superb handling and Maruti's strong A.S.S. . Ritz too is a good option. Regarding figo, figo petrol seems underpowered , but it has very good space and handling. If you like the figo, i suggest you spend a few more bucks and get figo diesel. Its a very good choice, totally VFM. In petrols, Swift is the best, followed by brio and then ritz.

My suggestion will be to either check out the Ritz Vxi or the Etios Liva , both of them seem to match your requirements a lot. If you trust TATA then you can have a look at Indica Vista too.

Thread Starter #8
Thank you all for your kind suggestions. Yes, at the moment I think Ritz is the most sensible option for me. I haven't thought about Brio and Liva presuming they are in the 'premium hatch' segment, for the same reason didn't check out other hatches like Micra,Punto etc. Liva's only base version seems to be under 5L and which doesn't have even power steering! I know swift worth spending a few bucks more, but doesn't it have a long waiting period?

Definitely I will take a look at Brio before reaching a decision. haven't seen one yet as I haven't been to home after it's launch, so I'm curious.

welcome to TAI, I would like to remind you over speeding may lead to suspension of licence. kerala motor vehicle department made some new rules. below the speed limit for vehicles on various roads.

MVDKerala - Act and Rules
what I intend is, that is probably the top speed i might drive! I'm not a fast driver (nor my father would let the chauffeurs go about 80kmph!) that's why I said even if Figo's engine is slightly underpowered than Ritz', not a deal breaker as long as the engine is stable and trouble free.

My suggestion will be to either check out the Ritz Vxi or the Etios Liva , both of them seem to match your requirements a lot. If you trust TATA then you can have a look at Indica Vista too.
I used to be a fan of Indica, but question was about Vista Petrol. All my friends and relatives who own Indica (normal ones) don't complaint much, but those are all diesel models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Ritz & Brio, i10 are good options when the ride is mostly city centric. Both cars are very peppy and Brio's power to weight ratio makes it topper in 0-100 timings. But disadvantage is the ride will be bumpy. A problem with most honda cars down the 10 lakhs. Same is the case with Ritz and i10 also.

Figo, polo and punto is slightly underpowerd compared to above competitors but it is way mature in road manners like handling and flat ride. From the road condition in kerala and mostly the car will be used by your parents i think speed isn't a choice rather ride and handling.
New Swift is also a good choice. Heard the ride is not bumpy as the outgoing one but concerns about inadequacy of brakes are there for lxi and vxi

Thread Starter #11
Hi
Ritz & Brio, i10 are good options when the ride is mostly city centric. Both cars are very peppy and Brio's power to weight ratio makes it topper in 0-100 timings. But disadvantage is the ride will be bumpy. A problem with most honda cars down the 10 lakhs. Same is the case with Ritz and i10 also.

Figo, polo and punto is slightly underpowerd compared to above competitors but it is way mature in road manners like handling and flat ride. From the road condition in kerala and mostly the car will be used by your parents i think speed isn't a choice rather ride and handling.
New Swift is also a good choice. Heard the ride is not bumpy as the outgoing one but concerns about inadequacy of brakes are there for lxi and vxi
City driving is not concerned as my home is in a village. Space, comfort and cheap to run are the primary requirements. So far, my choice swinging in favor of Ritz as I read some comments that Figo petrol has a lower mileage than Ritz (or not?) Also I would expect Figo would have costlier spare parts than Ritz (Ford-Maruti difference, just my speculation).

raj_5004. I find the i10 is a bit small for the whole family though it looks fresh and modern. It could be that i10's interior stands head and shoulders above Ritz, but when you come from M800, anything would make you pleased [:)]

Top Bottom