New Force Gurkha 4x4 Review & Pictures

Re: New Force Gurkha 4x4 Test Drive Review

Interior Photos

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

Compared to previous version and Thar the interiors are far better and acceptable level.

The below are the improvements done
IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG
Fan to cool AC condensor

IMG_2000.JPG

Placement of Lamp and Hose cover for Water Jet

Test Drive Redbull
IMG_1997.JPG

Yeah those seem like Apollo Hawkz ATs.
My driving experience is one and only with My Siwft.
Apples to oranges.
1) TachoMeter remains at the center except it was down facing in the previous version now uplifted a bit and visible. It is located between AC vents.
Never knew the Tacho needs cooling too:stupid:.
2) Instead of ACC switches in the previous version, proper control console is given (replacing Techo meter between Center AC vents).
ACC? You mean Automatic Climate Control? Whoa sir please come back to terra firma. And get Abhay Firodia down alongwith you too.
3) Steering wheel is reduced to that of like in cars. Still the plastic quality is poor.
Is the size same or has it been reduced (diameter)? What about positioning of the steering wheel? Is it still like before - erect and away from the driver?
4) Horn is too feable.
Force Motors respects the privacy of animals and doesnt want to scare away lions and elephants and the abominable snowman that one'd encounter when one takes the Gurkha to uncharteted territories. Notice I didnt mention whales, but one never knows, with that snorkel......
5) Noise is filtered well inside the cabin. Vibration is still there due to off road suspension setup. Gear lever vibration also is there but not to worry. No rattles otherwise.
You mean the suspension is noisy? No rattles and creaks even on bad roads?
6) This is my first time Diesel engine drive. I didn't feel any difference. Indeed the transmission ratio is too good that I felt very comfortable and zip thru under heavy Chennai traffic. I was able to place the wheels precisely both at low and high speeds. At high speeds the streeing felt like too sensitive (like it responds even for small shake), I dont know whether it is good or bad or whether it is to me it felt like that, no comments.
Like Michael jackson said, I'm bad, I'm baaaad......
7) I never drive speed above 100. Hence I tested Gurkha up to 90KM speed in Ambatur Highway. I couldn't push beyond that as the road is full of heavy trucks. The car easily pulls. Infact I didn't realize I am driving at this speed in between heavy trucks.
How did performance upto 90kmph feel? Did the engine feel peppy? What speeds could it do comfortably in each gear?
8) The ride is little pumpy. I didn't feel any body roll. The same conveyed by my friend in the back seat.
Pumpy means jumpy? As in, did the vehicle bounce all the time? Were the tyres inflated to the correct pressure?
9) Back seat thigh support is not enough. With sea of space it need filling seating arrangements to have the feel of a car.
Doable.
10) Break is ok. The vehicle I test drove is 25K odo. The break drifted the vehicle to the left. Looks like problem with this Test vehicle.
Yeah. Correct.
11) AC is good. with Scorching Afternoon Sun (2:30PM) We felt comfortable with AC fan Speed 2. Third row may not feel the cool though.
Please say that again. Are you sure about this? How noisy is the blower? And ohmygodwaitaminute[surprise], is that a thermostat knob??!!
12) Gear throw is long as everyone know. But it is not heavy. It is easy.
At no time did it require both hands to operate?

Last edited:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadumedu
AT Tires.
Yeah those seem like Apollo Hawkz ATs.
Quote:
My driving experience is one and only with My Siwft.
Apples to oranges.
Quote:
1) TachoMeter remains at the center except it was down facing in the previous version now uplifted a bit and visible. It is located between AC vents.
Never knew the Tacho needs cooling too.
Quote:
2) Instead of ACC switches in the previous version, proper control console is given (replacing Techo meter between Center AC vents).
ACC? You mean Automatic Climate Control? Whoa sir please come back to terra firma. And get Abhay Firodia down alongwith you too.
[:)]

Quote:
3) Steering wheel is reduced to that of like in cars. Still the plastic quality is poor.
Is the size same of has it been reduced (diameter)?
The size is reduced

What about positioning of the steering wheel? Is it still like before - erect and away from the driver?
No. it is comfortable like in cars. One catch here is I am short and I use to pull the seat closest to the steering.

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachments/official-road-tests/149326d1413487402-new-force-gurkha-4x4-test-drive-review-img_1992.jpg

Quote:
4) Horn is too feable.
Force Motors respects the privacy of animals and doesnt want to scare away lions and elephants and the abominable snowman that one'd encounter when one takes the Gurkha to uncharteted territories. Notice I didnt mention whales, but one never knows, with that snorkel......

Quote:
5) Noise is filtered well inside the cabin. Vibration is still there due to off road suspension setup. Gear lever vibration also is there but not to worry. No rattles otherwise.
You mean the suspension is noisy? No rattles and creaks even on bad roads?
Due to stiff suspension on typical Indian plain roads aka soft roads I felt some vibration.

No rattles no creaks. Touchwood.

Quote:
6) This is my first time Diesel engine drive. I didn't feel any difference. Indeed the transmission ratio is too good that I felt very comfortable and zip thru under heavy Chennai traffic. I was able to place the wheels precisely both at low and high speeds. At high speeds the streeing felt like too sensitive (like it responds even for small shake), I dont know whether it is good or bad or whether it is to me it felt like that, no comments.
Like Michael jackson said, I'm bad, I'm baaaad......

Quote:
7) I never drive speed above 100. Hence I tested Gurkha up to 90KM speed in Ambatur Highway. I couldn't push beyond that as the road is full of heavy trucks. The car easily pulls. Infact I didn't realize I am driving at this speed in between heavy trucks.
How did performance upto 90kmph feel? Did the engine feel peppy? What speeds could it do comfortably in each gear?
The engine never felt peppy. It is soft like a typical Maruti Car. We can easily pull the speed up to 110kmph is what I felt. But this car is not for race driving. Here one more catch is I own Avenger 220, which falls in the same category. It will push any weight on any terrain but it is not for racing and not for above 100kmph. it suits my driving style though.

Quote:
8) The ride is little pumpy. I didn't feel any body roll. The same conveyed by my friend in the back seat.
Pumpy means jumpy? As in, did the vehicle bounce all the time? Were the tyres inflated to the correct pressure?
Yes Jumpy is correct. Ambatur Highway is full of waver y undulations due to Heavy truck usage. That might also the reason. I didn't check the tyre pressure. That might be also one reason.

Quote:
9) Back seat thigh support is not enough. With sea of space it need filling seating arrangements to have the feel of a car.
Doable.
Quote:
10) Break is ok. The vehicle I test drove is 25K odo. The break drifted the vehicle to the left. Looks like problem with this Test vehicle.
Yeah. Correct.
Thumps Up

Quote:
11) AC is good. with Scorching Afternoon Sun (2:30PM) We felt comfortable with AC fan Speed 2. Third row may not feel the cool though.
Please say that again. Are you sure about this? How noisy is the blower? And ohmygodwaitaminute, is that a thermostat knob??!!
I didn't feel difference between Swift and Gurkha in this area too.

Quote:
12) Gear throw is long as everyone know. But it is not heavy. It is easy.
At no time did it require both hands to operate?
Yes Never ever. a photo proof for you
IMG_1990.JPG

Elsewhere I read people criticize Gurkha for not having BS4 engine. But what I feel more important is to add more refinement to the interior to give car like feel and Safety features atleast as options.

Improvements done:
1) NVH level is good still scope is there for improvement for VH. Noise level is well controlled. Engine noise is filtered well inside the car. I pushed Gas to run at more than 3RPM still I didn't hear as noisy as disturbing. It is only when triggering the Engine one would hear it is Diesel Engine. The cacophony momentarily audible and vanishes then and become well refined.

2) AC is good. AC comes with conventional controls and is practical. Condenser comes with a cooling fan now.

3) Underbody guard seems more rigid

4) Tacho meter is placed at visible area.

5) Plastic quality and Interior is improved but not as expected

6) Gear sifting is butter like in a car, not exactly but still the difference is not much.

7) Body roll is not present.

8) Steering Wheel is practical and ergonomic.

9) Dash is decent. Thermostat control button added.

Expectations:
- The break is soft meant for off roadablity. I believe this can be adjusted as per our road needs.
- Safety belt is strap type (not auto lock when it is suddenly pulled. not sure about front but rear is like this).
- Uneven panel gaps but uniform across all the Gurkhas (example the front right Lamp has more gap than left side).

- Collapsible Steering wheel should be given.
- Improvement to the poor plastic quality. atleast the steering.
- More Back seat thigh support
- Cover/Makeup uncovered metal areas inside cabin example the Driver seat rails.
- To give proper Service to this vehicle. Basically they have to understand this vehicle first. The guy standing next to red Gurkha in the photo told me something like front differential lock will transfer power from rear to front. What I understood is he is not aware of Gurkha functions. Whereas the sales manager and another technician were good at Gurkha.
- Vibration is well controlled but still it has scope for improvement.
- Immobilizer has to be there.
- Tacho meter should be placed in Instrument cluster
- Silencer should come in back not in the side, causing damage during off roading.
- Instead of Single jet for water spray it should be double
- Head lamps are not powerful

The Verdict:
Gurkha is improved and impressed me. But there seems a conflict in expectation between the target segment and Force management. Force thinks Gurkha as a pure blue off roader, whereas people prefer this vehicle as VFM hybrid car which can be used both On and Off road.

Wednesday I went for a solar water pump site visit (attached Photo). Due to rains it is muddy and I have to park the Swift a KM away and had to walk in the mud bare foot. There I realized the need for Gurkha. This is not the first time I face this. Most of our projects come in these kind of road less areas.

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

First things first, I can't thank you enough for this test drive and your honest opinions. But anyways, thank you for this post.[thumbsup]

Elsewhere I read people criticize Gurkha for not having BS4 engine. But what I feel more important is to add more refinement to the interior to give car like feel and Safety features atleast as options.
Well, BS4 would certainly improve its saleability in Tier I towns. Fully agreed with interior refinement and safety features.
1) NVH level is good still scope is there for improvement for VH. Noise level is well controlled. Engine noise is filtered well inside the car. I pushed Gas to run at more than 3RPM still I didn't hear as noisy as disturbing. It is only when triggering the Engine one would hear it is Diesel Engine. The cacophony momentarily audible and vanishes then and become well refined.
Have they done some additional sound insulation? I have always found this engine to be very noisy.
2) AC is good. AC comes with conventional controls and is practical. Condenser comes with a cooling fan now.
I still cant believe it. Probably they have made some improvements to the AC system - all reviewers including our Iron Rock has mentioned that the AC is (was?) pathetic.
4) Tacho meter is placed at visible area.
Yay![clap]
5) Plastic quality and Interior is improved but not as expected
A small step for a man, a giant leap for Force Motors.
6) Gear sifting is butter like in a car, not exactly but still the difference is not much.
Really? Can you ask the SA what changes have been made to the gear shift mechanism?
8) Steering Wheel is practical and ergonomic.
Ouch!
9) Dash is decent. Thermostat control button added.
Man now you are bringning tears to my eyes......
- The break is soft meant for off roadablity. I believe this can be adjusted as per our road needs.
I think yes, since it has a LSPV.
- Safety belt is strap type (not auto lock when it is suddenly pulled. not sure about front but rear is like this).
Front are semi inertia belts - shall lock if you pull hard.
- Uneven panel gaps but uniform across all the Gurkhas (example the front right Lamp has more gap than left side).
:lol!:Thats the funniest thing about the Gurkha that I have heard in a while.
- Collapsible Steering wheel should be given.
Yes.
- Improvement to the poor plastic quality. atleast the steering.
Yes. Yes.
- More Back seat thigh support
Yes. Yes. Yes.
- Cover/Makeup uncovered metal areas inside cabin example the Driver seat rails.
YES SIR!
- To give proper Service to this vehicle. Basically they have to understand this vehicle first. The guy standing next to red Gurkha in the photo told me something like front differential lock will transfer power from rear to front. What I understood is he is not aware of Gurkha functions. Whereas the sales manager and another technician were good at Gurkha.
If winter is here, can spring be far behind?
- Immobilizer has to be there.
I think immobilizer has been made compulsory for all vehicles now, courtesy CMVR. Please do a double check, it should have an immobilizer.
- Tacho meter should be placed in Instrument cluster
Earth should be round.....
- Silencer should come in back not in the side, causing damage during off roading.
Iron Rock had shot this exact observation to Force Motors. Here is the question and its reply from Force Motors:

Q. Silencer/exhaust pipe now is on side rather than rear as on old Gurkha. Why?

A. The exhaust pipe is placed on the Right Hand side as it is better from packaging point of view.

- Instead of Single jet for water spray it should be double
You're lucky it sprays on the windshield.
- Head lamps are not powerful
Did you check them at night?
Gurkha is improved and impressed me. But there seems a conflict in expectation between the target segment and Force management. Force thinks Gurkha as a pure blue off roader, whereas people prefer this vehicle as VFM hybrid car which can be used both On and Off road.
With the correct mindset and funding, possiblities are endless. Even with all its foibles and shitty QC, I like this vehicle.
......had to walk in the mud bare foot. There I realized the need for Gurkha.
So, are you buying one?

Last edited:

Today Morning got a call from Mr. Chandra Sekar sales manager of Ambatur Force Show room. He has gone thru the post and of appreciative.

1) Earlier I have mentioned the ODO at 25K actually it is 2.5K. My Bad perception.

2) The Break, Tyre Preasure are corrected in Test Drive vehicle. But due to regular test drives and off road testing by customers of different riding styles, they are checking the test vehicle frequently for Break, Tyre, Steering correctness.

3) Another thing I forgot to share earlier is, this machine never switch off whatever the gear-speed combination you put forth. It will shake the whole world but not off the engine. It is the Key is the Key. That's cool.

2500 kms is nothing for a demo vehicle. It should feel brand new and tight. Okay, so its made by Force Motors. Hmm. Touchè!

I dont think many prospective customers would be testing it off road. That's a bad excuse.

Are there any festive discounts on the Gurkha? ::stupid:

//Are there any festive discounts on the Gurkha? // The Answer I got is, 'Sir, you know that right, New launches will not get any discounts?'.

Saturday Night till Monday Morning Slush and pothole filled day and night drive for a Business trip. Chennai - Kanhangad - Calicut - coimbatore - Chennai. The Skoda Rapid suffered its worst nightmare. I told all the way 'Gurkha' help Me.

2500 kms is nothing for a demo vehicle. It should feel brand new and tight. Okay, so its made by Force Motors. Hmm. Touchè!

I dont think many prospective customers would be testing it off road. That's a bad excuse.

Are there any festive discounts on the Gurkha? ::stupid:
Yes. It should feel brand New. 2.5K is nothing. It could be a bad excuse for Service quality as well. I feel like to do one more test drive. Also, I have decided to use one of my known Automobile Mechanic for maintaining Gurkha when I buy one. For long drives Gurkha is a desperate need for Me, is what I felt after last week end trip.

Looks like Mahindra is in serious business about Gurkha. Finally Gurkha has pulled some nerves of Mahindra, as Gurkha sales is picking up in good pace. I see the restlessness in their official automotive forum too. Whatever it is let the good happen to this market.

Recently one of the Gurkha owner is invited to Mahindra factory for the R&D of Gurkha. Let's see any good healthy competition happens. This segment now looks like,

1) Force Gurkha now established its prowess is in a junction now. It has to go thru a serious make over to upgrade itself as a modern era car and meet the norms of the day while retaining its qualities. The odds are -

a) CRDE engine will be too much for the Gurkha Package - (Break and Dynamics)
b) how good Force incorporates ABS in to Gurkha and retains it's off road character and on road manners.
c) From the experience of Old and New Force Gurkha owners, it seems the factory filled oils are not standard ones. This what causing Gear issues, Streeing vagueness in Gurkha (the same applicable to Force One). Considering this, when Force going to learn its lessons and do justice to its cars?

2) Mahindra has yet to offer a product that in its value proposition gives a good competition to Gurkha Image. Though a old school 4WDs are there, but that is not enough to match the Gurkha competition, if incase Force started showing some professional attitude.

The wish is this, a Force vehicle out of Mahindra factory [:D]

IMHO this vehicles seems a separate segment all together. Putting Fortuner, Endevor, Pajero, Land rover all in SUV category is not justice to these cars.

Thanks for lots of insights about Gurkha dear kadumedu, I being a fan of these off roaders appreciate the idea of force motors which brought in a modern off-roader.

However I'm unsure of the sales it has done so far, curious to know about its performance!

CRDE engine will be too much for the Gurkha Package
In this era to compete, we need to have one sir.

Mahindra has yet to offer a product that in its value proposition gives a good competition to Gurkha Image. Though a old school 4WDs are there, but that is not enough to match the Gurkha competition, if incase Force started showing some professional attitude.
While the Thar is the only one in competition with Gurkha, the brand perception matters a lot.

I somehow had a future plan for this vehicle when compared to Thar, but seems like it doesn't happen just because the car doesn't come in BS-4 avatar (Yes i live in Bangalore) and BS-3 is not allowed to be sold in my city, major factor for me if you ask.

Why Gurkha for me?
Love the majestic front and side profile, some decent equipment levels, and big seats at the back to enjoy rides when you take to hilly areas and some off-roading. [:)]

Top Bottom