Scorpio

• Solid built. Sheet metal feels thick and solid
• Good paint quality
• Doors feel solid. Shut with thud.
• First row is congested. Second row looks even more congested
• Sound insulation is poor compared to storme and XUV
• Engine idling is silent but becomes vocal when RPM increases
• Bumpy ride
• Pickup is good but not impressive as storme. When turbo spools storme just shoots up like rocket

XUV 5OO

• Impressive external styling
• Good second row space but first row looks congested
• Front facing third row is joke
• Clutch position is higher than normal.
• Clutch is harder and travel is more
• Clutch is deal breaker for me. Clutch does not release engine power gradually to the wheels. It acts just like ON/OFF switch. Every time I release clutch there was thud like sound. At one instant there was loud thud sound and engine stalled. It is pain to drive this vehicle in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Surprisingly same problem existed pre facelift XUV and it was not rectified.
• Good sound insulation. No engine or external sound filters in.
• Ride is still not plush and tosses you around.

Storme

• IMHO pre face-lift front looks better.
• Interior looks day night change. Hugely improved compared to pre face-lift
• Sound insulation is very good (for external sounds) but engine sound filters in.
• Clutch is big surprise. It is super light. But position is too high.
• Very good low-end torque. Car pulls cleanly from stand still. Mid range speed torque is just excellent. It shoots car like rocket.
• Ride and handling: just one word it GLIDES on the road. XUV and Scorpio do not even come close to it.
• Superb rear visibility. Commanding front view.
• Very comfortable driving position. You are totally relaxed in crowded bumper-to-bumper traffic.
• Another big surprise is excellent music system.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: New Face lift Storme vs XUV500 vs Scorpio

XUV 5OO

• Clutch is harder and travel is more
• Clutch is deal breaker for me. It is pain to drive this vehicle in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Sir, I would like you to elaborate on the above two points because as I drove the new face-lift of XUV 5OO, to me the clutch never felt hard and as I drove on a congested road here in Noida, so stopping, releasing the brakes and overall drive of the XUV to me did not feel bad.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Sir, I would like you to elaborate on the above two points because as I drove the new face-lift of XUV 5OO, to me the clutch never felt hard and as I drove on a congested road here in Noida, so stopping, releasing the brakes and overall drive of the XUV to me did not feel bad.

Regards

Akash
Clutch was comparatively harder than Storme.

But that is not my main complain. It do not release gradually is my main complain. However slowly I release, it always gave me jerk.

The best clutch I found in Toyota Innova.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Clutch was comparatively harder than Storme.

But that is not my main complain. It do not release gradually is my main complain. However slowly I release, it always gave me jerk.
Ok, Sir, the jerk in your case of driving would have been due to the positioning of clutch as you mentioned. Were those jerks harsh as you mentioned that even engine got stalled. Sir this seems to be case of lack sync between clutch and your footwear somehow. The positioning of footwear on clutch pedal along with slightly high positioning may have caused it.

Regards

Akash

XUV has the lightest clutch from all the 3 vehicles you have mentioned ISO. It's even better than Innova and Fortuner. It's just that you need to adjust your sync between the clutch and accelerator when you drive XUV. All my friends take about 5 mins to do so when they drive my XUV. And of all i feel XUV is much easier to drive in city and bumper to bumper traffic. I do Gurgaon to Mayur Vihar (40 kms) one way daily in bumper to bumper traffic.
Maybe you are not used to so light clutch and didn't sync it well that's why you got those jerks.

Thread Starter #7

XUV has the lightest clutch
May be you have not taken test ride of new storme. Pl. take it.

Maybe you are not used to so light clutch and didn't sync it well that's why you got those jerks.
On the contrary I'm not use to hard clutch. Fifteen years, close to 2L KM driven only Maruti (Petrol)[:)]

May be you have not taken test ride of new storme. Pl. take it.
I already have buddy. It was the top contender when I was looking to make a purchase. So usually don't miss on that. Did took a TD last week with my friend but unfortunately he went for XUV 500 W10.

On the contrary I'm not use to hard clutch. Fifteen years, close to 2L KM driven only Maruti (Petrol)[:)]
That might be a reason mate. Even i feel the same when i drive my XUV after driving our Eon for a couple of days.

Thread Starter #9

I already have buddy. It was the top contender when I was looking to make a purchase. So usually don't miss on that. Did took a TD last week with my friend but unfortunately he went for XUV 500 W10.

That might be a reason mate. Even i feel the same when i drive my XUV after driving our Eon for a couple of days.
Recently I have taken test drive of Fortuner but did not faced the problem like XUV.

Strangely this problem was not there in Scorpio.

Could it be due to play in universal joints of the drive shaft? or loose engine mount?

@ISO2015, can you specify how many kilometers did the ODO of your XUV test drive vehicle show? That'ss give us an idea whether it vehicle fault or clutch fault. I too test drove XUV and didnt find anything unusual about the clutch.

Thread Starter #11
@ISO2015, can you specify how many kilometers did the ODO of your XUV test drive vehicle show? That'ss give us an idea whether it vehicle fault or clutch fault. I too test drove XUV and didnt find anything unusual about the clutch.
3K Kms

But I had exactly same problem for pre-facelift XUV. Another reason I think could be high idling RPM. Generally dealers set high RPM (to test drive vehicle) to hide vibration etc.

1. Hey ISO, I have recently bought a New pre facelift XUV last month and can tell you that i am not facing any problem with the clutch. I had also test driven the facelifted XUV during my buying process and even the clutch on the TD car was perfect. I have completed 1300KM in my car and can tell you for sure that the clutch is definitely linear and pretty smooth. I haven't faced the thud sound and also the way it engages is very linear and not in ON/OFF as you mentioned. I would say that it is in par with my 2008 zen estilo which is very smooth and linear. I had also test driven the Storme and did not find the buttery smooth nature of the clutch as you mentioned. In fact the Clutch on both cars were on par if not better.

2. The front row is not at all congested. I would put this in a way that it cocoons the passenger and the driver. It is the best in class for comfort. All the people who have sat in my XUV have complimented the first row its comfort and superb view of the road.

3. The last row is not at all a joke ! I am 5 7 and can sit in the last row for atleast an hour of journey. Recently we went for trip and my dad and uncle were sitting in the last row and they were comfortable. Yes people with height more than 5 8 would feel uncomfortable back there. But it is definitely not restricted only to children.

I too driving XUV nearly ~18Kms done.. Clutch is softer and responds normally.
:: Front two seats are great in comfort, I do bangalore -chennai drive without a break. 6 way adjustable seat with tilt & rake adjustment in steering gives the flexibility of position you want to sit comfortably. Adjustment of Lumbard support is also present in co-driver seat which is a highlight.
:: Coming to second row, everyone will accept it has got lot of space even you can walk through to swap your place when others are still sitting. Many ppl who travelled in my car commented about the flat floor (without any center hump as in other cars) as comfortable for person sitting in the middle.
:: Third row is not comfortable for taller people but still usable. some of my friends and relatives liked to take up 3rd row and they appreciated the presence of seperate AC vent and adjustable Neck rest.

Thread Starter #14
Friends I'm glad to know it's working for you. After all its our hard urned money. These things are very subjective. I recommend everybody not to trust words, take extensive test drive and then decide.

Thread Starter #15
I stand corrected regarding XUV500

I had gone to Ahmednagar where I visited Mahindra showroom and asked for test drive. Test drive vehicle was brand new. Since Ahmednagar is small city I got chance to test high speed behavior of this car.

Its absolute pleasure to drive this vehicle at high speed. Its very smooth and planted on the road. Acceleration was mind boggling.

But then I don't understand why this car failed to impress me twice when I took test drive at pune.

I plan to take high speed test drive of new storme but test drive vehicle is not available Concord Pune.

Also regarding clutch behavior of XUV one more article...

Exclusive! Mahindra XUV500 improved | Car News | SUV/Crossovers | Autocar India

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom