New Delhi & NCR Live Traffic Updates

Thread Starter #16

350Z

Core Team
I don't understand why people hesitate to take their cars in just 2-3 inches deep logged water? I don't think such shallow water can cause harm to the car, but this hesitation certainly causes traffic jam.
It will indeed do no harm to most of the cars in India but the car and driver could end up in a serious trouble if there’s a ditch or an open manhole underneath. I avoid driving on water clogged roads unless I’m already familiar with the route. A major cause of jams are the traffic lights which go kaput even on the slightest showers.

Drive Safe,
350Z

.. the car and driver could end up in a serious trouble if there’s a ditch or an open manhole underneath.
I am talking about highways, where it is almost zero possibility of any deep potholes, and most of the ongoers on these routes are daily travelers to office who know the road conditions well.

I think its just the fear of car getting stalled!

I use WAZE a lot and at times have found it helpful specially when travelling to Chandigarh as people do leave information about speed cams and you are alerted in advance.

I use WAZE a lot and at times have found it helpful specially when travelling to Chandigarh as people do leave information about speed cams and you are alerted in advance.
For traffic, I swear by Google Maps Live Traffic Updates. Found them pretty accurate in Delhi. I religiously check the traffic situation on my mobile before venturing out of my office going homewards every evening. I have a more novel way of avoiding speed cams - stay within speed limits!![;)]

Water has logged at many places like AIIMS highway. I don't understand why people hesitate to take their cars in just 2-3 inches deep logged water? I don't think such shallow water can cause harm to the car, but this hesitation certainly causes traffic jam.
I also avoid waterlogged areas because

(a) As 350Z said, unmarked open manholes is more common a problem in India than we think, especially when there are heavy rains and "the drains are running full". (Believe me, that's the reason that Municipal Corporations often give for leaving the "lids" open). Besides, there are a few gaping potholes even on major roads like Ring Road, in the stretch between Moti Bagh and Bhikaji Cama Place, which I would like to avoid like plague! So, no wading through the water for me.

(b) Its difficult to judge the depth of water, especially if the waterlogged area is large. I have had the experience of stalling my Maruti Alto in one such area in Bangalore at 1 AM in the night with no help around other than wifey, dressed in an expensive saree!! It was providence that the car started after five to ten minutes of desperate cranking (Thank God the battery held out).

But yes, I do agree it is a major cause for Jam. Witnessed one today on Old Delhi-Gurgaon road near Kapasheda border.....a 10 minute long jam just because of waterlogging!

All I am asking is- if you are going on your daily route which you know very well, that too a highway, and you find water stagnated on left of the highway, would you still avoid it?
That's a difficult question to answer... and that's because it depends upon what I perceive as worth wading through at that moment (and not really as to how much the actual depth is). So, yes, if I feel that there is very little water, I may go through and on the other hand, if I feel water is more, may avoid it also. However, I would most probably avoid anyway it if there are no vehicles close behind me and the traffic is light. It is almost like deciding what speed I would go over a rough patch of road or would I totally avoid it.
Unfortunately, deciding how much water can be negotiated, is based on individual perception. Hence, jams are unavoidable.

That's a difficult question to answer... and that's because it depends upon what I perceive as worth wading through at that moment (and not really as to how much the actual depth is). So, yes, if I feel that there is very little water, I may go through and on the other hand, if I feel water is more, may avoid it also. However, I would most probably avoid anyway it if there are no vehicles close behind me and the traffic is light. It is almost like deciding what speed I would go over a rough patch of road or would I totally avoid it.
Unfortunately, deciding how much water can be negotiated, is based on individual perception. Hence, jams are unavoidable.
That looks to be a real pathetic situation in Delhi this point of time Sridhar, I mean negotiation with water[lol]. It looks to me very funny as I had been to Delhi since last 20 years are so !!

That looks to be a real pathetic situation in Delhi this point of time Sridhar, I mean negotiation with water. It looks to me very funny as I had been to Delhi since last 20 years are so !!
Ha, Ha! No, RK, things aren't so bad as they look....I guess my power of expression is limited!! :biggrin: Delhi has perhaps the best roads that this country has to offer....but even that is not enough to cater for the overflowing traffic, made worse by the our traffic sense!! But waterlogging in certain areas has always been an issue in Delhi (and I am seeing this ever since the eighties!), as a result of poorly engineered roads (despite being nice and wide). The saving grace is that it doesn't rain a lot here!

Sridhar,

I agree with you Sir, Yes Delhi got the best of the roads in the country, but two things as they are not sufficient for the increasing crowd in the city and always half of the roads are blocked for VIP movement. In fact other day when I was in Delhi we have been stopped for 30 minutes at some junction for some VIP movement and I really got irritated and was talking to taxi fellow that, why do they shift complete parliament and all important ministries and government offices out side Delhi some where near to the airport where all the delhians can have peace of mind on the roads.

Second important thing is which is already mentioned in your above post, I am just reproducing it here again

But waterlogging in certain areas has always been an issue in Delhi (and I am seeing this ever since the eighties!), as a result of poorly engineered roads (despite being nice and wide). The saving grace is that it doesn't rain a lot here!
I really wonder if Delhi receives the kind of rain here in South what will happen ??

Sridhar,

I agree with you Sir, Yes Delhi got the best of the roads in the country, but two things as they are not sufficient for the increasing crowd in the city and always half of the roads are blocked for VIP movement. In fact other day when I was in Delhi we have been stopped for 30 minutes at some junction for some VIP movement and I really got irritated and was talking to taxi fellow that, why do they shift complete parliament and all important ministries and government offices out side Delhi some where near to the airport where all the delhians can have peace of mind on the roads.
True, RK. In Delhi, every seconds chap proclaims himself to be a VIP and demands his pound of flesh while the common man suffers. But still, if you had seen Delhi in the eightys and ninetys, you would realise that blockages due to VIP movements have come down considerably. Still, its bad enough to affect people and each disruption leaves behind an huge mass of traffic which takes a couple of hours to normalise. Since I stay near Dhaula Kuan, I witness such snarls pretty regularly.

Waterlogging is long known and very predictable issue but no one seems to be bothered. Its sheer apathy.

Incidently, one of the common causes that I see causing slow moving traffic/ traffic jams is breaking down of old trucks/ busses especially on climb of flyovers. Its a nightmare and the jam spreads at the speed of light during rush hours![frustration]

And by the way, I strongly believe Delhi's roads will prove sufficient for this traffic volume the day people learn to stick to their lanes.

True, RK. In Delhi, every seconds chap proclaims himself to be a VIP and demands his pound of flesh while the common man suffers. But still, if you had seen Delhi in the eightys and ninetys, you would realise that blockages due to VIP movements have come down considerably. Still, its bad enough to affect people and each disruption leaves behind an huge mass of traffic which takes a couple of hours to normalise. Since I stay near Dhaula Kuan, I witness such snarls pretty regularly.

Waterlogging is long known and very predictable issue but no one seems to be bothered. Its sheer apathy.

Incidently, one of the common causes that I see causing slow moving traffic/ traffic jams is breaking down of old trucks/ busses especially on climb of flyovers. Its a nightmare and the jam spreads at the speed of light during rush hours![frustration]

And by the way, I strongly believe Delhi's roads will prove sufficient for this traffic volume the day people learn to stick to their lanes.
True Sir, I am a visitor to Delhi since early nighties, yes there is lot changed about the VIP movement from now and then, but at times it really irritates me, so to avoid those Delhi got a beautiful

Metro now and really sir it is a bliss and I have experienced that very clearly during last few visits wherever you want to go, just take metro and come out and take a auto as simple as that.

Hmm Daula kuan, hmm very busy center always sir. I have seen that gurgaon road in those days when used to go to Maruti and Hero honda and used to be hell a lot of traffic jam, but today it is much better with a huge wide road sir.

When I was watching that road some time back from the flight it looks bigger than the runway of IGIA[clap].

Yes if we compare of nineties the roads became very wide now either to Faridabad, Noida, Ghaziabad , but Sir also traffic got 10 times more of those roads sir, so our planning in India always behind the actual thing which ever is the city[:)]

That's a difficult question to answer... and that's because it depends upon what I perceive as worth wading through at that moment..
Let me reframe- if the person ahead you goes over the water logged area unharmed, would you follow him or still avoid the patch?

.. But still, if you had seen Delhi in the eightys and ninetys, you would realise that blockages due to VIP movements have come down considerably. I stay near Dhaula Kuan, I witness such snarls pretty regularly.
Waterlogging is long known and very predictable issue but no one seems to be bothered.
I have seen very few VIP movements even though I work near Dhaula Kuan. Still may be you experience it more coz you live there.
Water logging is once in a while affair during heavy rains otherwise its normal.
The main reason for Delhi traffic is creation of bottleneck at many points. Most highways are broad, but at convergence points, bottlenecks result in slow movement of traffic.

I really got irritated and was talking to taxi fellow that why don't they shift complete parliament and all important ministries and government offices out side Delhi some where near to the airport where all the delhians can have peace of mind on the roads.
What did the taxi fellow say then?

Let me reframe- if the person ahead you goes over the water logged area unharmed, would you follow him or still avoid the patch?
Now, that's a simpler question to answer. Certainly I'll follow him.
Re traffic jams or slow moving traffic, convergence zones will always lead to slowdowns , unless replaced by flyovers. They are further accentuated by poor lane discipline. What is bad is poor planning, which actually cause bottlenecks that you were alluding to. For example, coming from AIIMS, as you get down from flyover at Bhikaji Cama Place, there is a bus stop immediately. Lots of Jams just because of this poor placement.

Re VIP movements, as I said, they have reduced considerably. But I still see one or two every other week. But having said all that, I still believe Delhi is the most drivable city in India, especially post commonwealth upgrades.

Top Bottom