New Bajaj Avenger Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Today I went to showroom almost 80 km away from my home.. (guess how much I want it) as usual female SE gave me experience of hell.

Actually the guy with whom I spoke about the deal was not present ,he went for something important.

I did a td of one in showcase.Gear were too difficult to be engaged and neutral was not found (to me ). guy assisting me did some jugad with his legs and gave a hard hit and came the neutral light then I tried Again, did not happen !!!
I said What the heck?? he added "becoz you dont have proper Aim" I humbly requested can you show me again then he tried again and failed for which he said that is "becoz it is brand new ,after some running it will be alright".then came the second guy he too tried hard enough finally said it is because many people did the TD and it got screwed" I felt a prick in my spine.
Then came the beautiful Lady with some serious buzy looks. is it okay with you shall we proceed to payment ? I said what? show me my bike first.
I saw a cruel smile in her face and came voice through her lips "this same one."

I reciprocated with wicked smile and she got my point. she showed me another one in Showcase.hmmm!!

Let me not bore you with all those blah blah and in short tell you that payment did not happen. I scolded the Guy for very unsatisfactory "showroom" experience and returned.

Note: Posts moved from the following thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...oking-no-nonsense-bike-got-bajaj-avenger.html

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Looking for a Trouble Free No-Nonsense Bike: Now bought Royal Enfield!

Was the bike stationary while you were trying to change the gears? If yes, then a little rocking back or forth of the bike while depressing the clutch and changing gear would have made the gears slot into place easily. Changing gears on a stationary (whether ans Avenger or a Hayabusa) bike would always be difficult - one needs to learn the correct technique. If the gears were difficult to engage while the engine was running, then- provided you had depressed the clutch fully before engaging the gear- there might have been a problem with some settings on the bike. Gears on a new motorcycle would always be a little hard to engage and they would eventually smoothen out with use. The Avenger has a cruiser stance (footpegs/gears are placed further ahead on the frame )so someone used to riding a streetbike may find the gear shifting stance a bit awkward. Pl tell more details about the problem that you faced so that it could be diagnosed correctly.

You did the correct thing by not opting for that show case bike. So what do you plan to do next?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Was the bike stationary while you were trying to change the gears? If yes, then a little rocking back or forth of the bike while depressing the clutch and changing gear would have made the gears slot into place easily. Changing gears on a stationary (whether ans Avenger or a Hayabusa) bike would always be difficult - one needs to learn the correct technique.
True.

If the gears were difficult to engage while the engine was running, then- provided you had depressed the clutch fully before engaging the gear- there might have been a problem with some settings on the bike. Gears on a new motorcycle would always be a little hard to engage and they would eventually smoothen out with use
True
The Avenger has a cruiser stance (footpegs/gears are placed further ahead on the frame )so someone used to riding a streetbike may find the gear shifting stance a bit awkward.
true

Pl tell more details about the problem that you faced so that it could be diagnosed correctly.
As mentioned above it is because the bike is new and she is opening up..Your knowledge is incredible !!!

You did the correct thing by not opting for that show case bike. So what do you plan to do next?
One starts an action simply because one must do something....[:)]

she is home I drove her from calicut to Kannur (home) 78km..."awesome" is little said !!
See pic :century on ODO.!

Attachments

Last edited:

Congratulations! So finally, you've made a decision[clap]. Good to know that you liked the bike/ride. Please post your buying experience and ownership review so that other members might benefit from it. Awaiting pictures. Congrats again and ride safe !

Thread Starter #5

Please post your buying experience
Buying experience nothing much- "Pay and take".waiting for registration and other papers.
Got helmet,keychain and Teflon coated for free.

and ownership review so that other members might benefit from it.
This sounds very good,exhaust note is muted but engine feel is heavy and grunty. the one I checked previously was 150 or 180 cc which sounded like HH splendour and I dint like.
Unlike my car and Honda activa (both are very silent). when this bike is started neighborhood and family members are getting aware that somebody is getting ready to go .

Congratulations! So finally, you've made a decision[clap]. Good to know that you liked the bike/ride.
Yes ,finally a No-nonsense bike is home.

Why No-nonsense?

Ans:- She is a definite head turner!!! which makes it incredible VFM.for Rs.83600/- (for my likeness she looks a bit smallish-but never mind for the looks )

It is stable and in control even at 95kmph ( checked yesterday ) without any abnormal vibrations.

Very good brakes .never experienced such good braking in Bikes .

Well balanced- you don't move like a snake even at crawling speed in traffic .

Car like comfort and user friendliness ,a newbie like me could ride it like expert from day one.

**No "turbo lag" even in 5th gear she pulls from 40-100 like knife in butter...hoooorayyy!!
(**you have to understand the agony of diesel car driver).

Cons:

ride is bit bumpy on rough surface especially the Rearfor single user with two it gets better.

Where to keep the Papers and other small things (no chubby holes) I am still searching.

Awaiting pictures. !
Pics??

Patience my Lord !! she needs some serious Photography shootouts which I am planning..

Congrats again and ride safe
Tanks to All and Tai.

It is stable and in control even at 95kmph ( checked yesterday ) without any abnormal vibrations.
Careful !!! The Avenger has no tacho so have to go by the speedo during the running in period. Suggest you do not exceed 60kmph at least till the first service/500 km. Might want to have a look inside the owner's manual for recommended running in instructions.

Thread Starter #7

Manual says 50kmph max in 5th gear.

Just tried once to clear out my Apprehensions and she came out with thumbs up nature.
I am tacho driven driver not speedo so any otpion to fix a tacho on it? (this was the question i asked first in showroom when she was showed to me. )

I wish it had "Gear shift indicators"

I wish it had metallic speedo dial .plastic looks el-cheapo .any DIY solutions-how to open the dial??

Where to keep the papers and small tools? shall I fix a carrier at rear and make it a classic tourer ?[:D]

It is already a headturner how to make it even better?-suggestions pls

@SAm buddy you are awesome buddy your knowledge about two wheeler is outstanding [clap]. You are a guardian angel for bikers in TAI [angel].

@Jayadev congrats buddy on your bike I really like the cruiser bikes very much but due to the low mileage fear I stood away from them. (And also I had my fierro with me for a decade) The Avenger is one hell of bike to own enjoy riding.

Pics ..pls..

Last edited:

Manual says 50kmph max in 5th gear.

Just tried once to clear out my Apprehensions and she came out with thumbs up nature.
Discretion is the better part of valour.

I am tacho driven driver not speedo so any otpion to fix a tacho on it? (this was the question i asked first in showroom when she was showed to me. )

Not advisable to fit a tacho unless you know someone really competent who can do this. Since you do not know the engine rpm, follow this - shift to second gear at 10 kmph, 3rd gear at 20 kmph, 4th gear at 30kmph and 5th gear at 40 kmph. Do not exceed 50 kmph when you are in the 5th gear and keep varying the speed throughout riding. Do not ride at constant speeds for a long time. give your bike a ten minute break after every 50 km/1 hour of riding. The way you ride your bike for the first 2000 kms would decide how well the engine performs in the long run. Let me know if you need more details about running it in properly.

I wish it had "Gear shift indicators"
Cruiser bike. Minimum distractions for the rider and maximum focus on enjoying the ride. That's why no gizmos.

I wish it had metallic speedo dial .plastic looks el-cheapo .any DIY solutions-how to open the dial??
Why do you want to open it? I have never tried it but it looks to me like a sealed unit. Look closely, there might be some screw at the bottom.

Where to keep the papers and small tools? shall I fix a carrier at rear and make it a classic tourer ?
Yup. Get a good pannier and get it painted in the same colour as your bike (by the way, which colour is it?). Would look great and keep your tools/papers etc safe.

It is already a headturner how to make it even better?-suggestions pls
Lots of options. Search for images of cruisers/choppers on the net and you will get plenty of ideas. Leather saddle bads, metallic pincushion studs on teh seat, bikini fairing on the headlamp (like the one on the Classic 350/500), the list is endless. That's one reason to own a cruiser - customize it to your heart's content !

Personally, I dont like the Avenger's handlebar. if I had an Avenger, I would have junked the original one and fit a straight (chromed) bar on it (something like the one on the FZ16). I have seen one fitted with such a bar and believe you me, it simply transforms the Avenger's looks to something really drool worthy. Another good option is to use a handlebar like the one on the Harley Fat Boy.

Where are the pics jayadev??

Thread Starter #10

Not advisable to fit a tacho unless you know someone really competent who can do this. Since you do not know the engine rpm, follow this - shift to second gear at 10 kmph, 3rd gear at 20 kmph, 4th gear at 30kmph and 5th gear at 40 kmph. Do not exceed 50 kmph when you are in the 5th gear and keep varying the speed throughout riding.

I am maintaining similar speed/ gear shifts- exactly 40kmph for 5th and she feels relaxed.(i wish it had 6th gear too)

Cruiser bike. Minimum distractions for the rider and maximum focus on enjoying the ride. That's why no gizmos.
Got it. Nice.

Why do you want to open it? I have never tried it but it looks to me like a sealed unit. Look closely, there might be some screw at the bottom.
It is sealed.so leaving it.

Yup. Get a good pannier and get it painted in the same colour as your bike (by the way, which colour is it?). Would look great and keep your tools/papers etc safe.
Yes need it urgently. color is Black (I prefer any color as long it is black!!)

Personally, I dont like the Avenger's handlebar. if I had an Avenger, I would have junked the original one and fit a straight (chromed) bar on it (something like the one on the FZ16). I have seen one fitted with such a bar and believe you me, it simply transforms the Avenger's looks to something really drool worthy. Another good option is to use a handlebar like the one on the Harley Fat Boy.
Please give some directives too . (no compromise to comfort)
That's one reason to own a cruiser - customize it to your heart's content !
People look at it like alien spaceship and look at me as if I am alien riding on it.
nothing is available at my hometown other than mudflaps and leather bags- a personalized gift for thieves. one guy demonstrated flicking Blue LEDS...GRRRRRR!!

The way you ride your bike for the first 2000 kms would decide how well the engine performs in the long run. Let me know if you need more details about running it in properly.
It is a good bike I can give 3.8/5 . for if it was more power full and refined it would have been a killer..!! but......While taking off from Showroom i felt too much of engine vibration on handle bar and all over which are now diminishing (220km on odo) .

will it get even smoother or is it the bikes are like that only? .
after coming from cars I feel refinement does not exist in Bike territory (But avenger felt better than Honda CBR250)
with single rider it is bliss to ride but with a pillion rider it feels sluggish and boring.

Pics not yet taken..please bear..camera is in bits and pieces..

congrats buddy.... [clap]

you'll have to stuff the papers in tool kit. (the details of the tool kit location available in owners manual) there is very little space but should be enough for the papers

about the mods. i feel that u shud not go for any mods at least for the initial 4 servicings. get to know the stock bike well. then think of how to mod it depending on yout riding style and ur comfort...

congrats once again [thumbsup]

Ride Safe

Thread Starter #14

First set of niggle..!!!

yesterday evening the bike handle behaved lunatic checked the tires and found the rear one flat!!! took it to nearby puncture wallah.

he got scared after looking at the rim and said they are el cheapo and may get bent while removing the rubber . I convinced him and said go ahead I will take care of it.

removed the tube and saw a flaw in the tube (mrf tube) it had a gap and he explained me this is not a puncture but a manufacturing defect for which it needs to be replaced under warrenty.

I said to get it replaced it will take ages so you fix it the way you can. he said only "vulcanising" can help here.

he did the fixing and I paid Rs.60 to him.

meanwhile he showed me how bad the rim is ,yes the quality is pathetic with sign of Rust at isolated area inside the rim. he recommended zinc chromate coating from Mrf.(next thing to be done)

More of it..

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom