New Alloys and Tyres for Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Heay.

Im new to TAI so would like to say a big HI to everyone.

My dad is someone who always listens to his heart, thats why it makes perfect sense why he still has his 23 year old Maruti 800.
That was the first car we bought, i was just 8 then, and i remember it like yesterday when we brought it for the first time in our building in mumbai, there wer'nt many cars around at that time, and travelling in the 800 surely made me feel proud amongst my friends.

its been 23 years now since we have been using the car., there have been few bad times in recent years when it has stopped and had to be towed or if its been idle for many days and had to be pushed cos the battery 's died. But all in all its been an awesome ride. [clap]

Recently we some major work done on it, it was unavoidable.. the body had to be furnished, the front and rear suspensions had to be replaced, window rolling mechanism etc.. The car is in top condition now and it still rides like what i remember it from when i just started driving.

i have an important query and am sincerly hoping the members of TAI can guide me on this one, i am thinking of changing the rims and installing Alloy wheels also i want to get new wheels which are thicker in width than the normal ones. Guys can you please tell me that if such a modification could impact the working of the car in terms of Handling, mileage etc.

Looking forward to a response. its kind of urgent, my normal tires are no longer usable and i have to go in for a change ASAP. kindly suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: the 800cc beauty

Hello Demonic,
Welcome to TAI,
I do have this wonderful little machine !
Seems to be one of the Longest ownership !
Your long ownership is quite amazing and deserves appreciation !
Waiting for the pics !

Thread Starter #4
thanks a lot vishnu. will upload the pics ASAP..

Varun, thanks for the suggestions. will make note of it..

Thread Starter #5
HI Varun,

i read your post on your modified 800, and i think you have done an awesome job on your car. really admire your passion and the efforts you put in.
love the Alloys you sport.

if i go in for alloys like can you give me a rough idea around how much will it cost me.

thanks man.

Thread Starter #7
thanks for the info varun. what about the issue you had with the tires touching the wheel arches that you had. it can be taken care of right.

Thread Starter #10
And Later changed the Rims (unfortunately Alloys were just not falling in my budget [sad] ) and Upsized the tyres from the stock 145/70R12 to a 155/70

Just for everyones information.. Each rim cost me Rs800 & each tyre cost me Rs2350.

finally got a small paint job [:D]

really love how its looking now..[:)]

Attachments

The only bad thing about painting the rims after mounting is that, when the wheels are painted it adds weight to the wheels.

So you should have painted them prior to mounting so that the wheels could be balanced properly.

Yes, painting adds weight to the wheels.

Wheel Balancing procedure is adding weights to balance the wheels and when more weight is added it causes an imbalance.

Who can paint with such accuracy?

The point being it wont make much but the difference surely will be there.For the rims atleast 2 coats are used else the paint will fade.

@demonic:If you find the steering wobbling at higher speeds get the balancing done again and try rotating the wheels.Most alignment and balancing places will give you a 10k kms or 1 month warranty on their alignment and balancing.So get this rectified within that period.[;)]

Last edited:

Top Bottom