Need Your Help - Wait for New Safari Storme vs Used Safari 2.2 VX

Thread Starter #1
Guys, first of all HI to everyone (as this is my first post :biggrin:).

Need your help in choosing between the 'yet to be launched safari storme' and an 'used safari Vx 4x4'.

These are the points which i have in my mind already,
-> New storme (from what i read / heard until now)
Pros,
1. Getting new vehicle :stupid:
2. Lots of refinements, as they say (all wheel disc, reduced turning radius, fresh interiors etc.)

Cons,
1. Looks (especially no spare wheel on rear) but i can live with it
2. Missing all goodies ABS, Airbags etc because i have to go for basic model (top end price expected around or more than 14L - way beyond my budget)
3. Will really miss 4x4

-> Used Vx 4x4 (around 2009 / 2010 model with 50-60K in ODO)
Pros,
1. Good engine, performance etc, model been in market for quite a long
2. Looks great, fits in my budget < 10L
3. can go for top end which has 4x4, ABS, Airbags etc

Cons,
1. Going to be an used vehicle, can expect lot of niggles

Haven't owned a safari before, hence need advice from existing safari owners / ppl who used it! I have read many articles related to safari more than a lac in odo. On the other hand people advising not to go for > 50K odo safari, kind of mixed up thoughts at the end. Is it a risk to buy an used safari (50-60 in odo)? Moreover only advantage which i gain in going for an used safari top end is ABS, Airbags and especially 4x4.

If going for new, I am not going to Leh the safari on the very first day (mostly it is going to be city driven), but an important point, even if it is going to be occasional driving i shouldn't push a new 4x2 to its limits and fry the engine / brakes on a mountain drive. Need your advice on this also, will the 4x2 struggle a lot on mountain drive? Existing 4x2 owners, have you ever felt a need for 4x4 badly on a mountain drive / rough terrains?

I would really appreciate your advice / thoughts so that i can make a right decision before end up buying a 10L (hoping so) 4x2 basic model strome or an used Vx 4x4 with lot of goodies! Thanks!

Strome is all new safari with lot of improvement beside that abs will be optional on lx (base) model too.
2009 model means extended warranty will be finished and I will in all honesty suggest you not to buy a current generation safari without warranty .
People have taken safari base model 4x2 to leh Ladakh , I agree a 4x4 will be great no doubt but many have taken the 4x2 without any problem .
Please wait for the strome since it has many many improvements over the current safari . A simple base model with much more refinement and improvement is allways better then a niggle laden top model that too without warranty intact.

Its like living in a 1 bedroom new flat with basic amaneities vs living in 3 bedroom flat which has leakage problems on the roof and walls not built strongly .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
A simple base model with much more refinement and improvement is allways better then a niggle laden top model that too without warranty intact.

Its like living in a 1 bedroom new flat with basic amaneities vs living in 3 bedroom flat which has leakage problems on the roof and walls not built strongly .
Thanks a lot for your input Raja, absolutely agree to what you said (your example was classic[clap]). I was totally unaware that ABS wud be an optional feature in the base model, thanks for the info.

Only thing I'm worried of is, TML shouldn't screw up the price of Storme like Aria [frustration]. Eagerly waiting for the announcement!

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!WAIT!
It is better to wait for Storme.[:)]
Thanks a lot for your input Keeprevving. Ya I'm eagerly waiting for an announcement. Latest news is it is going to be launched by September (hopefully 2012).

Thanks a lot for your input Raja, absolutely agree to what you said (your example was classic I was totally unaware that ABS wud be an optional feature in the base model, thanks for the info.

Only thing I'm worried of is, TML shouldn't screw up the price of Storme like Aria [frustration]. Eagerly waiting for the announcement!

Thanks a lot for your input Keeprevving. Ya I'm eagerly waiting for an announcement. Latest news is it is going to be launched by September (hopefully 2012).
That's is what many members and safari fanboys are waiting for if priced right we can be happy If not the mahindra fanboys will be happy [lol]

Thread Starter #6
Lets hope Tata learns from its mistake of Aria. Probably that could be a reason they delay the launch & look for competitor's pricing strategy, plus heard they are incorporating some feedback from market too! Good sign of improvement from TML.

I would suggest you to wait for Strome since it's about to launch in September. Also you can go for the current version is september also.

And regarding a used Safari, a big NO if it does not have a warranty.

Thread Starter #8
Also you can go for the current version is september also.
Thanks a lot for your input Singh890. Perhaps that is a good option if storme is not well priced, instead of going for an used one. Apart from the new features
of storme, look wise the old one scores!

Thanks a lot for your input Singh890. Perhaps that is a good option if storme is not well priced, instead of going for an used one. Apart from the new features
of storme, look wise the old one scores!
No problem buddy and yes wait for it. Just one more month. You lucky because i know people who waited for almost a year and then got frustrated and went for other options and some are still waiting for about more than a year now.

So in that case you just have to wait for a month and it's absolutely worth waiting for the Strome. It's more refined, hopefully less niggles, better interiors and more classy and elegant looks comparing to the MACHO looks of the current version.

Thread Starter #10
Really true...I have at least 2 months spare, as i'm out of our country. so waiting is more of chance rather than choice :biggrin:

My suggestin to u is take safari Storme basic model and Fix the spare Wheel @ rear if required and 4X2 itself is well engineered for off road driving...

Going for used vehicle won't be that much pleasurable also... U'll have to check service records,Tyres,Suspention & Valves of engine even injector also has to be serviced so be carefull... taking a new safari with 1.5L KMs warrenty will be the best

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom