Need Suggestion - Diesel Car Within 6 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
I have TATA petrol car for last 5 years. I have enjoyed every bit of it, now due to my natured of Job I have to to travel 1200 kms monthly average. Now I want to shift to Diesel car. My Budget is 6 lakhs and I will be keeping car for 6-8 years. I do nt drive fast, looking for strong built and comfortable car. Few are Out of my choice
1. Swift- Do nt like very common Look
2. Figo- Low ground clearance
3. TATA- Drive 5 years want to change the feel.
4. Hundai i20- Out of budget.
I am planning to have car in JAN 2012. Pl suggest,thanks

Last edited:
As you are drive safely(read normal) Consider buying Beat LT TDCI,it has fiat MJD 3cyl engine(58 PS) and okayish performance and better features than competition.But the rear seat is cramped and less boot space which is less practical

Next in line comes the RITZ VDI where this also has fiat MJD but 4 cyl engine(75 PS) which means more refined and more powerful than beat.Ritz has good interior space than Beat and being an MS product the MASS would be known by you.

Or if you like Tata and need to own another from Tata stable,Vista LX is also good vehicle loaded with features,decent beige interiors,loads of space for every occupant and even Tata uses the same engine like Ritz's

You would get these three under 6 lakhs budget range

Hi Car Lotus,
I think Hyundai i20 would be the best buy if you consider lil bit on the budget as the maintenance/spares are very cheaper as compared to others [thumbsup] .

Since you said, you are looking for a strong built & comfortable car, VW Polo & Fiat Punto is what comes to mind.

VW would be more expensive to maintain & FIAT ASC is bad. But then since you are used to TATA's service, Punto seems to be a good buy. The car has been updated in 2012.

If not the Punto or Polo, I would pick the i20. i20 facelift is coming soon, mid 2012.

I have TATA petrol car for last 5 years. I have enjoyed every bit of it, now due to my natured of Job I have to to travel 1200 kms monthly average. Now I want to shift to Diesel car. My Budget is 6 lakhs and I will be keeping car for 6-8 years. I do nt drive fast, looking for strong built and comfortable car. Few are Out of my choice
Any particular reason to leave out the Micra/Liva/Ritz? I would not suggest you Tata/Fiat cars for obvious reasons and the Polo TDI has a pathetic engine. The Micra/Liva/Ritz are strong and comfortable cars and would serve you reliably for 6-8 years. Test drive all of them and make your choice. Nissan service centres are few and far between (excellent Logan diesel engine, though- fantastic driveability) and the Liva interiors would give you an idea how it's like to be inside a coffin but the Ritz VDi is as safe a buying decision as one could make in India - cheap to buy/run/service, ultra reliable and fantastic resale value.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
I’d also suggest including Fiat Punto and Nissan Micra to this list. Please respond to the questions from the following thread so that we can advice a car which is most suitable for the requirements. Here's the link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/1298-looking-buy-car-must-read.html. Thanks.

Drive Safe,
350Z
As My req are follows
1. My Budget: 6.5 Lakhs on Road
2.Your Location: Delhi
3.Top 5 Priorities:
a. Punto - Well built,and Features at lesser price
b. POLO- Good look, Less features vis-a-vis Punto
c. i-20- High price for same features
d. Liva- Do nt like look and interiors
e. Figo- Looks very thin and sophiticated body.
f. Swift- DO nt have patience of booking now and getting delivery after 9 months and its very Locale look now.
4.Monthly Running: 1200-1500 Kms on rural area 50% and 30% on highway and 10% in city.
5.For Which Purpose: 5 days single use weekends family 5 persons including me. Self driving.
6.Priority of Fuel Type: Diesel
7.Body Type: Hatchback
8. Color- either White or silver
I will be keeping Car for next 5-6 years. I personally drive and I do drive comfortably max avg speed 60-70 kms/hour, occassionally upto 100-120 kms. Need strong built and good GC as keeping in mind of Rural roads. Do nt like Maruti vehicles bcoz I find all service points are always in hurry and do nt bother to spare time with customers- Seen with my ALTO and Vagon R. I am going to finalise Vehicle by 10 Jan 2012.
Need your all suggestion for the same.

As My req are follows
1. My Budget: 6.5 Lakhs on Road
Okay so i20 and top versions of other premium diesel hatches are out.
2.Your Location: Delhi
Best place to buy a car. Union territory = cheapest cars and lots of dealers with respect to every car maker = great discounts and choice of service centres.
3.Top 5 Priorities:
a. Punto - Well built,and Features at lesser price
Yes. But go for it only if you are willing to gamble with product quality and TASS.
b. POLO- Good look, Less features vis-a-vis Punto
Avoid. Has a rubbish,unrefined engine with terrible turbo leg which makes it a pain to drive in the city. VW servicing costs are also very high.
c. i-20- High price for same features
Good car but totally outside your budget. Go for it if you can. It's really a no-brainer.
d. Liva- Do nt like look and interiors
Interiors are horrible. Features do not justify the price tag. No real top end version available. D-4D GD (SP) withing your budget.
e. Figo- Looks very thin and sophiticated body.
Good car. Extremely tractable and fuel efficient engine with next to no turbo lag. Loaded with features and good price tag for the Titanium version. Slightly underpowered on the highway, has very low ground clearance, lacks some features like fogs and rear power windows. Ford ASS remains a hit-or-miss affair and spares are pricey. Overall, good, spacious, robust car for the price.
f. Swift- DO nt have patience of booking now and getting delivery after 9 months and its very Locale look now.
Great car but forget about getting it before minimum 6 months.
4.Monthly Running: 1200-1500 Kms on rural area 50% and 30% on highway and 10% in city.
Figo is out - the car just doesnt have enough ground clearance to rough it up in rural areas. Take a look at the Ritz Vdi- the car has a mini-suv feel to it and would hold up well for youe kind of usage.
5.For Which Purpose: 5 days single use weekends family 5 persons including me. Self driving.
Ritz has enough room for family of 5 (3 adults, 2 kids). Indica Vista is also a very spacious car but frankly, do you want to go for a Tata?
6.Priority of Fuel Type: Diesel
7.Body Type: Hatchback
8. Color- either White or silver
I will be keeping Car for next 5-6 years.
So resale value doesnt matter.
I personally drive and I do drive comfortably max avg speed 60-70 kms/hour, occassionally upto 100-120 kms.
All the cars listed by you can fulfill this requirement.
Need strong built and good GC as keeping in mind of Rural roads. Do nt like Maruti vehicles bcoz I find all service points are always in hurry and do nt bother to spare time with customers- Seen with my ALTO and Vagon R. I am going to finalise Vehicle by 10 Jan 2012.
Micra/Figo have poor GC, so forget about going for them. Even though you do not like Maruti cars, I urge you to try the Ritz. From whatever you have told here, the Ritz comes across as the most suitable diesel car for your requirements. Maruti customer care is always there if you have any grievance and these guys are really good and thoroughly professional.The Indica Vista is also frugal, spacious and has good GC, but the Ritz is anyday a better quality car than the Vista.
Need your all suggestion for the same.
Try the Ritz. Seriously.

Hey carlotus,

I too currently own a Tata petrol car just like you.Out of all those cars my pick would be Fiat Punto.But one word of caution here, its your money, so just don't buy any car with your eyes shut based upon our advice.Go and take a test ride and see for yourself whether that particular car meets all your requirements or not.:please:

However if THE X-OVER would have been in the market to buy a 6 lakh hatch, he would have bought Vista Vx , Spice Red without any dillema.To each his own buddy[;)].

Dear Carlotus
Try the Vista TDI-if you can get a BS3 where you are or the basic Quadrajet model-you will be pleasantly surprised (and save some money too)

I have TATA petrol car for last 5 years. I have enjoyed every bit of it, now due to my natured of Job I have to to travel 1200 kms monthly average.

First of all it is a good option if you are moving to fuel efficient cars, because opting for this will work according to your plan. And off course it is not a tough job to get diesel car within the budget of 6 lakhs. Also the year has started with new launch also so if you specify some of the important features you are looking for than getting one such is not a big deal.

2 suggestions wrt the context:
1. Ford Figo: +ves - Frugal engine, least turbo lag, hoot to drive, most VFM product. -ves - Low GC, lacking some important features like rear defogger, all 4 power windows, and lacks a little punch on highways. But that little punch is only evident once you take it over 90-100kmph, which doesnt warrant a problem!
2. Fiat Punto: +ves - great build, good engine, feature rich around the budget.
-ves - lacks a little punch vis-a-vis Swift, mainly due to gearing ratios, not-so-elegant interiors, after sales. But being in delhi, after sales should not be a problem because of multiple options you will have!

I would have suggested Vista TDI but you want to change the feel so these are the best options, if not Ritz. Again a great chuggable car which for me just has a non-car design [:)]

Carlotus,
Considering all your reqs, my vote for your car would be a Ritz or a Polo.
First of all consider this, almost more than 50% of indian diesel hatchbacks have a Fiat engine. So its only the build quality and other comfort/cosmetic features that should help you in cornering the model you want.
With respect to availability of service and spares, Maruti comes first. But do remember that Fiat is very expensive in both the above said clauses. My colleage owns a Punto and he lost his key and his spare key was with the bank from where he availed the loan, and in order to get a duplicate key it took him 2 months and ~10K+.
Most of the spares are not localised and hence you will have to wait for it.
Remember reading a couple of days back that the TATA-FIAT alliance may come to an end soon. Keep that in mind too.

Give a thought to Tata Vista VX.

Tata is planning for Vista (surprise) during the AutoExpo. May be they are onto Quadrajet 90 bhp on the Vista refresh II.

TD the Vista refresh II and keep an eye on the AutoExpo for the surprise. You may get lucky.

lxi.

Suspended
By going through all your requirements, i would recommend the ritz vdi/vdi abs or chevy beat LT will be a sensible buy. If you do not want to buy a maruti, look for the micra or the punto.
cheers.

Top Bottom