Need Motorcycle For Big Guy

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I currently own an 2010 TVS Apache RTR 160 which has 32K kms on ODO. I feel like I should upgrade to a higher displacement motorcycle. I'm 6ft 4" tall and weigh 115kgs with broad shoulders. Please suggest a motorcycle,

> Budget: <6L INR

> New or Used: New bike

> Location: Mysore, KA, INDIA

> Top Five Priorities: Comfort, Design, Maintenance, Ease of spare availability, Rear passenger comfort.

> For What Purpose: Regular commute and occasional long rides

> Type of Bodystyle: Street and cruiser preferable.

> Additional : I don't like RE bikes. Super/sport bikes gives me wrist and back pain.

>Motorcycle Considered : FZ25, KTM Duke 390.

Looking forward to your suggestions [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Took the test drive of KTM 390 and FZ25

KTM 390 :
Pros-
Looks are stunning.
TFT screen is informative. Possibility of navigation update in nearby future.
ABS and supermoto mode
Slipper Clutch

Cons -
way too much power for me to handle. [Did a wheelie during TD [:D]]
On road price [cry]
Service Cost and maintenance

FZ25 :
Pros -
On road price and service costs.
Smooth and gradual pick up
Rear suspension

Cons -
No ABS variant
Headlight is ineffective
Felt vibration on TD vehicle @7500rpm
Feedback from front forks

Considering on-road price, I'm more inclined towards FZ25

Thread Starter #3
After thorough thinking, I feel it's better to go for Yamaha FZ25.

The dealer in Mysore quoted 149,417 INR including all accessories and extended warranty.

The price includes 1500 INR as "Handling and shipping charges", shouldn't this be illegal ?

Thread Starter #6
Other options you should check out - Dominar, Mojo
Dominor - My friend had a very bad experience with that bike, so I'm highly skeptical about that bike.
Mojo - Feels big and powerful, but service and spare availability is a doubt. (I dont have a clear idea on SC)

Suggest to get the test rides done with pillion, so that they get to feel how it is sitting behind.
I'll probably be riding solo most of the time with my new bike.

If your not in a rush, do keep an eye on upcoming models, especially during the festive season.
Don't have enough patience to wait.

I really like the linear acceleration of FZ25. I feel like it's good for daily commute and occasional long drives (<400kms in a day).

Last edited:
I would suggest to go for Honda CBR 250 ABS, Kawasaki Ninja 300 or Z250.
Since you are tall guy, Bajaj NS200 or AS 200would be a better choice.

But in my opinion, if you are spending above 1 lakh then non ABS bike don't make sense. ABS is really a necessary component, considering slippery road during rain and it really works.

Thread Starter #8
As per my idea Honda stopped CBR 250 as of now.

Kawasaki doesnt have service center in mysore.

NS200 feels small.

But in my opinion, if you are spending above 1 lakh then non ABS bike don't make sense. ABS is really a necessary component, considering slippery road during rain and it really works.
Yup thats one the cons of FZ25. They should have atleast provided it as an option or as an accessorie.

FInal OTR was 1.45L INR including all accessories.

Thread Starter #9
Guys, Motorcycle was paid in full today. I did a pre-registration inspection of the bike.
Asked the sales guy to start and check few of the bikes in stock. I Selected 3 bikes and sales guy was kind enough to start it in front of me and I choose the smooth and crisp sounding one.

Will be taking the delivery of FZ25-Black tomorrow evening.

I thank all of you for your valuable suggestions.

Guys, Motorcycle was paid in full today. I did a pre-registration inspection of the bike.
Asked the sales guy to start and check few of the bikes in stock. I Selected 3 bikes and sales guy was kind enough to start it in front of me and I choose the smooth and crisp sounding one.

Will be taking the delivery of FZ25-Black tomorrow evening.

I thank all of you for your valuable suggestions.
Congratulations. Do share pics and reviews. On time service the bike and it will never let you down.

Thread Starter #11
Guys, Got the bike on Friday. Sorry for the late update. Bike is very fun to ride. Rode around 100kms and I got to say this, it handles corners pretty good and Feels planted even at 60kmph cornering.

Engine Break-in process :
0-500 kms < 4000 rpm
500-1000 kms < 6000 rpm

Attachments

Congratulation Bro! Have a great miles ahead.

Just my opinion:
The built quality i.e the strength of the materials use to build chassis, handle bar and other material is not that great on Yamaha, if you compare with Bajaj, Honda or even TVS.

But the fit and finish is really good on it. This is just my experience on FZ16, as I own it.
But the ride is smooth with good maneuverability.

Thread Starter #13
The built quality i.e the strength of the materials use to build chassis, handle bar and other material is not that great on Yamaha, if you compare with Bajaj, Honda or even TVS.
May be. I didn't study IMDS data before purchasing the bike. My priority was to get one which is easier to maintain, good FE and Price. This bike was in exact strike zone of it, so I bought the bike.

@Krishna, let us know the long term review. I would be upgrading to a 200-250cc bike after a couple of years :tongue: and the Fazer 250cc is one of the bikes in my radar (since I am not a fan of naked bikes).

Top Bottom