Need Help To Decide On a New Car - Booked Fiesta!

Thread Starter #1
Guys,
I have been in a total dilemma and confusion for the past 3 weeks and I have lost sleep for the past 3 days…  on making a decision to buy a new car.
I am having esteem and it had already crossed 77K on odo so thought of getting a new one, my starting budget was 6L and now it is over stretched till 7L. during the first week I was on a confusion on body type sedan or hatchback and at last managed to convince myself for a sedan(Still mind says hatchback, its only the heart which says Sedan)
My commute would be 85% in City (This is one of the reasons why my mind still says hatchback) and 15% on highways. Second week confusion started on the fuel (petrol or diesel), the confusion still continues and I have parked it until I select the vehicle as almost all the manufacturers have Petrol and Diesel and I can choose the fuel at later stage. I know Diesel would easily cost more, but I need justify the cost for a diesel so partly my mind had accepted for petrol (I am a petrol head)
I stay very close to my office (3K) and my monthly average would not cross 700Km (including weekend travel) and may be twice in a year it might cross 2000Kms. So overall I do not see more than 12K commute per year.
In highway I would ride like a monster (only when I drive alone and mostly I do ) with fast lane cutting and drag style driving which calls in for some extra safety features...at least to keep my family happy that I have some safety onboard. In City it would be very sedate driving with some stop and go traffic which calls for a quick response machine. The number of occupants would 60% of the time only me and 40% of the time 4 - 5.
After taking all these considerations I have narrowed down on these 4 vehicles, need all your help to finalize
1. Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXi – 7.5L (On road Chennai)
2. Ford Fiesta 1.4 EXI – 7.4L
3. Fiat Punto Emotion Pack 1.3 MJD – 6.9L
4. Hyundai i20 Asta 1.4L CRDI- 7.67L
From the selection list itself you would have understood how confused I am and why I am finding very difficult to finalise.
My priorities
1. Excellent Ride quality & dynamics
2. Better FE – 11-12 (City) 15-16 (Highway)
3. Low maintenance
4. Good After service and resale value
Honda’s are above my budget and Maruti has a terrible waiting period. I just checked today on the waiting period for Swift and its 4 months and any other model you book would take 2 months to deliver apart from SX4 which takes 1 month. The reason for not considering SX4 is due to this. I need to finalize and get my car before diwali.

i would recommend you the i20 buddy. but the petrol, your monthly mileage does not justify a diesel.

your priorities:
1) i20 has got a good ride but the fiesta is the epitome is fantastic ride quality & great handling, it is a perfect driver's car. even the punto has got good ride & dynamics.
2) for FE, look at the i20 & punto, fiesta 1.6 is thirsty. fiesta 1.4 is boring to drive.
3) low maintainence- the hyundai of course!
4) good A.S.S - again the hyundai of course!

if you love driving, i would easily recommend you the fiesta 1.6 but its maintainence can be high & ford's A.S.S is not so good.
so overall, i recommend the i20.

I'll recommend you the Ford Fiesta 1.6 purely for the driving pleasure.It is a Perfect drivers car,i have no clue about Ford's A.S.S.But as it goes for the i20 as far i as know the car is terribly sluggish,so no way you can zoom past traffic(mainly because of the High body weight).Why not consider the Hyundai Verna as well[;)]

if you love driving and you are fine with a bit of more maintainence costs, nothing beats ford fiesta 1.6 Sxi instead of zxi.Awesome machine and superb ride quality, perfect drivers car it is so.Other hand its hyundai i20 1.2MT and 1.4AT, that budget go for 1.4AT which is boon in city driving and gives good power as well.Punto isaround and doing good as well but i still am yet to believe Fiat's future so wont recommend.Choose between fiesta 1.6Sxi and I20 1.4 AT.

350Z

Core Team
Intreceptor said:
I have been in a total dilemma and confusion for the past 3 weeks and I have lost sleep for the past 3 days, on making a decision to buy a new car.
Hi Intreceptor, As you have posted your Car buying query here, I can assure that you don't need to worry about it anymore.
We will guide you towards the right car which suits your needs best.

So, First of all, For your type of useage, You need a Petrol vehicle.

Now, In the budget of Rs.7lacs, Indian Market has a wide variety of petrol sedans and hatchbacks and this is where the real confusion begins.

For your convenience, I've shortlisted few cars, Which are worth considerable and suits most of your requirements.

1) Hatchbacks :

• FIAT Grande Punto (1.4 Fire Emotion Pack.)

Price: 5.73Lacs(Ex. Chennai)

Mileage: City, 10.2/ Highway, 14.6Kpl
Safety : Airbags,2 / ABS(Anti-Blockier System), Yes.
After Sales Service* : 3/5
TAI Report & Member's Views: Click Here
You'll Like: Clean and fresh design and build quality.
You'll Not: Ride Quality not up to the mark.
Official Website : Link

• Hyundai i20 (1.2 Asta Option.)

Price: 6.57 lacs (Ex.Chennai)

Mileage: City, 11.2 Kpl/ Highway,15 Kpl.
Safety : Airbags 6 /ABS, Yes
After Sales Service*:4/5
TAI Report & Member's Views : Click Here 1, Click Here 2
You'll Like: Extremly Safe for a hatch, Space.
You'll Hate: Ok-Ok Interiors
Official Website : Link

2) Sedans:

• Maruti Suzuki SX4 (VXi)

Price: 7.07 lacs (Ex. Delhi)

Mileage: City, 9.3/Highway,14.5 Kpl
Safety: ABS/Airbags,N/A (Optional), Seatbelts/Safety Pre-
tensioners, Yes.
After Sales Service: 4.5/5
You'll Like:Bold, Mascular Looks, Best For all time Indian Conditions.
You'll Not: Reversing could be cumbersome.
Official Site : Link

• FIAT Linea (Dynamic FIRE)

Price: Rs.6.42 Lacs (Ex. Chennai)
Mileage: City,9.4/Highway,13.5Kpl.
Safety: ABS/Airbags, N/A (Opt).
After Sales Service*: 3/5
You'll Like: A complete VFM Package, You get much more for what you pay.
You'll Not: Less Rear Headroom due to coupe like roofline, Engine power may not excite you.
TAI Member's Views : Report 1, Report 2.
Official Website: Link.

• Ford Fiesta (1.6 EXi DuraTec)

Price: 7.09Lacs (Ex. Chennai)
Mileage: City,9.6/Highway,16Kpl
Safety:ABS/Airbags, N/A
After Sales Service: 3.5/5
You'll Like: A Perfect Driver's Car
You'll Not: Costly Spares, Expensive to maintain.
Official Website: Link

• Hyundai Verna (1.6 VTVT)

Price: 7.18Lacs
Mileage: City,9.2Kpl/Highway,13.8 Kpl
Safety:AirBags/ABS, N/A
After Sales Service: 4/5
You'll Like: VFM Car, Upmarket Looks & Comfy Interiors.
You'll Not: Slowly Getting Dated
TAI Member's Views: Click Here.
Official Website: Link

(Please NOTE that all figures are indicative and views are personal, So may differ)

From all these above models, Personally, I'll suggest you to go for a sedan.
From the sedans, Consider the FIAT Linea because its latest, most practical and very VFM buy.

Avoid opting for the Fiesta as the spare's price can be heavy for the pocket. Speaking about verna, Its very nice and when I sat in it I was impressed with the low NVH levels but the car is slowly getting dated IMO.

The SX4 is another VFM buy which you can opt with eyes closed because the Maruti's excellent ASS is a bonus, So if you can bear the 1 month long waiting period then please do consider it along with linea.
So Inreceptor, Test Drive Both the cars, Linea and SX4 and then decide yourself according to your needs, And as I always say to everyone, The final decsion will be only yours.

Also, Discuss with your family regarding same and if you want to listen to your mind and go for a hatch, Then presently nothing else can be better for you except i20.
My Best wishes with you and I hope your confusion clears soon.
Please do keep me updated.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Well out of the 4 cars you have narrowed down to,i would suggest you to go for the FORD FIESTA 1.6.

(+) Its a drivers car at last. You get everything you are looking for safety,looks & the most important is the joy of driving.Fast lane cutting,drag style driving as u mentioned would be total fun in this car.I had driven my friends diesel fiesta & it was so good that i can imagine what a petrol fiesta would be like.

(-) The only thing you will need to worry about is the ford's maintenance & spares cost.But the pure joy you get in driving this machine overcomes everything else.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies and please have them coming in...

350Z- thanks for your time to research on these cars and provide your input. I have TDd all the cars in the market and i loved all the cars(Now i understand why people say Man came from Monkey) but had to decide on one.
My personal opinion on the below mentioned cars
1. Verna - Excellent NVH rates, ride quality good till abt 120 and you go past 120 the car tends to wander around the road and you need to be careful with the steering
2. Fiesta - Excellent ride quality and dynamics, NVH not uptp the mark of Verna but still good (I can hear the horns blaring inside the cabin with all windows rolled up), Sort of high maintanence cost after 4 years and till that time it should not be more than few thousands per year.
3. I20 petrol - Good car, excellent features but lack the power for high speed driving. It took more time for the vehicle to climb to 120, my esteem does it in lesser time. thats the reason considered I20 diesel..
4. Punto - Excellent looks, strong outer shell but weak interiors. I tried to open the bonnet and the bonnet opening level is in my hand (That scared me, but the sales girl just inserted it in place) Worried about the mileage part. Less leg room in the rear and somewhat cramped pedals. I weigh more than 100Kilos and am 5.11. Headroom is OK...But for the price it is awesome... Blue & me is a wonderful piece. Before owning a esteem i had 2 Fiat cars at different stages... Premier Padmini & 118NE and they were awesome and i still dont get the comfort which i got from an 118NE in any of the cars. Had to part with her bcoz of the non availability of spares and i do not want to face that situation again for a new car [frustration] same applies for linea..
5. SX4 ZXI was the first car i TD'd and i feel in love with that car, but waiting period made me think of some other car. VXI would be a good buy and if Maruti can speed up their process i would be happy.

Hi Intreceptor, As you have posted your Car buying query here, I can assure that you don't need to worry about it anymore.
We will guide you towards the right car which suits your needs best.

So, First of all, For your type of useage, You need a Petrol vehicle.

Now, In the budget of Rs.7lacs, Indian Market has a wide variety of petrol sedans and hatchbacks and this is where the real confusion begins.

For your convenience, I've shortlisted few cars, Which are worth considerable and suits most of your requirements........
if you love driving and you are fine with a bit of more maintainence costs, nothing beats ford fiesta 1.6 Sxi instead of zxi.Awesome machine and superb ride quality, perfect drivers car it is so.Other hand its hyundai i20 1.2MT and 1.4AT, that budget go for 1.4AT which is boon in city driving and gives good power as well.Punto isaround and doing good as well but i still am yet to believe Fiat's future so wont recommend.Choose between fiesta 1.6Sxi and I20 1.4 AT.
Thanks Vijay & Raj, Budget constraint forces me to avoid 1.4 AT and i dont like 1.2 petrol for its lack of power which i demand.

i would recommend you the i20 buddy. but the petrol, your monthly mileage does not justify a diesel.

your priorities:
1) i20 has got a good ride but the fiesta is the epitome is fantastic ride quality & great handling, it is a perfect driver's car. even the punto has got good ride & dynamics.
2) for FE, look at the i20 & punto, fiesta 1.6 is thirsty. fiesta 1.4 is boring to drive.
3) low maintainence- the hyundai of course!
4) good A.S.S - again the hyundai of course!

if you love driving, i would easily recommend you the fiesta 1.6 but its maintainence can be high & ford's A.S.S is not so good.
so overall, i recommend the i20.
I love a lot to drive and i have had fights with my family to avoid having a driver for the car [:D]

I forgot to mention an important point in my earlier post. I am planning to buy it through company lease plan and monthly EMI would be way too high than the outside market rate (16% interest) so need to restrict my budget within 7L. I spoke to MPL ford guys today and they said there is a different rate for leased vehicles and 1.6EXI petrol would cost abt 6.5L and ZXI about 6.9L i am yet to receive their official quote through mail. I would have it confirmed once i get it in my mailbox...

@350z, i read in ACI that Punto has the best in class ride and handling.

@interceptor, have a look at the maintenance plan from Ford. I think they have as high as 1,00,000/5 years package.

Thread Starter #11
@sriharsha - waiting period of Maruti is terrible ... SX4 takes minimum 45 days to deliver. so had to drop that option. I did not like the Dzire look.

Update on the Lease plan price.
No discount for Diesel
Petrol EXI on road - 6.57
Petrol ZXI on road - 6.86
Man i am loving it :)

go for sx4.no doubt that fiesta is great drivers car but its ford!its not as realible as japanees brands.

The Fiesta 1.6 Limited is what i think is the most VFM of the lot, you get all the necessary features that should be factory fitted, then go for whats remaining (Alloys & Fog Lamps) to name but 2 accessories. Its available in Mumbai for 6.5lacs in Mumbai, try to check this model out. So I think this one works out best for you.

I just came pretty late to this thread!

After reading all the above requirements i can suggest you the following cars.

Linea - 8* Overall
Verna - 9* Overall
Dzire - 9* Overall
Fiesta - 8* Overall
Indigo XL - 6* Overall
+ -
Linea - VFM ASS
Verna - VFM,ASS NIL
Dzire - VFM,ASS Waiting period
Fiesta - VFM ASS & Spares
Indigo XL - VFM,ASS Outdated & Underpowered.

I would recommend you to test drive verna again.

As i have already driven my friends car i feel that is one of the best car from Hyundai.

May be the car which you have driven might had some problems. For sure thre is no wavering steering @ just 120 !!

If waiting is not a deal, then its Dzire which will top the charts!

Thread Starter #15
The Fiesta 1.6 Limited is what i think is the most VFM of the lot, you get all the necessary features that should be factory fitted, then go for whats remaining (Alloys & Fog Lamps) to name but 2 accessories. Its available in Mumbai for 6.5lacs in Mumbai, try to check this model out. So I think this one works out best for you.
@Denom: I Checked the limited edition Fiesta, but it is applicable only to Diesel [cry] in Chennai. Here is the link

http://www.india.ford.com/servlet/C...&pagename=FIPL/DFYPage/Ford-Default&c=DFYPage

go for sx4.no doubt that fiesta is great drivers car but its ford!its not as realible as japanees brands.
@amit: this was the only car i feel in love at first drive...but the waiting time killed the deal.

I just came pretty late to this thread!

After reading all the above requirements i can suggest you the following cars.

Linea - 8* Overall
Verna - 9* Overall
Dzire - 9* Overall
Fiesta - 8* Overall
Indigo XL - 6* Overall
+ -
Linea - VFM ASS
Verna - VFM,ASS NIL
Dzire - VFM,ASS Waiting period
Fiesta - VFM ASS & Spares
Indigo XL - VFM,ASS Outdated & Underpowered.

I would recommend you to test drive verna again.

As i have already driven my friends car i feel that is one of the best car from Hyundai.

May be the car which you have driven might had some problems. For sure thre is no wavering steering @ just 120 !!

If waiting is not a deal, then its Dzire which will top the charts!
@Zinam: I am planning for the new car only for tax benefit and ofcourse the driving pleasure...earlier i take i reap the benefit this year. I would take your suggestion and test drive the Verna from a different dealer this weekend. As you said the TD car could have had an alignment problem. But i doubt the VTVT might exceed my 7L budget(It's already stretched)

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom