Need Help To Buy a Used Tata Sierra

Thread Starter #1
hi friends this is my first thread and need experienced help.

I use a tata indica diesel 1999 model. Its really in bad shape but engine is still perfect (only 55000 kms done).
My driving is less than 5000 kms a year. I normally drive on highway but from last 6 monts i had to visit my farm regularly and it is a 5-6 kms drive off the highway which is a tractor-trail and my indica had scrapped her underbody many times so it was a reason, or i say an excuse for buying an SUV.

I rushed to a dealer to sell my indica. i expected about 1 lac but shocked to hear mere 40 thousand. I completely rejected the idea.

So now i want to buy a used SUV and my requirements are...
1> under 1.5 lakhs.
2> decent FE.
3> Good handling on highway and high ground clearance.
4> Not looking for some hardcore offroader.
5> Lastly, don't want the feeling after buying that my indica is reliable than this.

Some self answering...
Thought of mahindra jeep but rejected due to sluggish highway perfrmance(engine screams at top speed) and of being not a proper weather-proof.
secondly thought was maruti suzuki gypsy but immediately threw the idea as it was petrol.
then comes a sierra. loved the way its looks.

Here are the two sierras which i had looked for...
1> 1996 model 67,000 kms Rs.60,000
needs some small repairs but engine is fine.
2> 1999 turbo model 1,00,000 kms Rs.1,50,000
great condition but some wierd black and red paint job done which i would preffer to change.

both of these looks somewhat negotiable.
what should i do?
does i miss any model or if these two options i had is not appropriate then please suggest me something.
also suggest me where can i find it online in gujarat.

Thread Starter #4
Its better to stick on to the turbo model, The engine is better.

Why not negotiate the price a bit ? Sierra's are very rare these days.

Are you going to keep your Indica as well ?

Here is a review about Sierra Turbo :
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/3943-got-tata-sierra-turbo.html
I think the turbo is bit overpriced considering its a 3 owner car.
What is the appropriate price i should offer him?

The non turbo is a single owner and has some sort of service records.
I am planning may be an engine swap of sumo or safari(if found one).
What say?

Obviously cant sell indica in just 40k if she is serving me well and has more sentimental value.
Dont know why people tell it a scrap as mine has served well.

If possible get the turbo one, thats the good engine.

And to help you with the inspection, more details are provided here
Thank you for the link. It sharpened my vision.

So it would be better go for non turbo one if the condition of the car is better than the turbo one.

What sort of service record does he have ?

Thread Starter #6
So it would be better go for non turbo one if the condition of the car is better than the turbo one.

What sort of service record does he have ?
He had all the records of major work on vehicle done (showed me 8 month old the bill of new tyres and alloys cost more than 30 K) but only had service receipts of last 3-4 years only.
The AC is not working.

350Z

Core Team
hi friends this is my first thread and need experienced help.
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India, Siddharth.

I rushed to a dealer to sell my indica. i expected about 1 lac but shocked to hear mere 40 thousand. I completely rejected the idea.
Trust me. Your car will fetch a much better resale value if sold to an individual instead.

So now i want to buy a used SUV and my requirements are
You can consider Mahindra Marshal / Armada under that much budget or stretch a bit and check out Toyota Qualis. It’s quite a reliable car.

both of these looks somewhat negotiable. what should i do?
The mileage of Turbo model might call for certain checkups and repairs. Searching for spares could also be an issue. However, Ilango is the best person to ask more about it.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8
Thanks 350Z

Dont want to sell indica for now because its running well and just got low value because lots of dents and scratches all over body.

Tried my luck and saw some armada, sumo, qualis, tavera, and even safari but all of them were partially or fully used for commercial purposes and driven more than 200000 kms so avoided it. otherswere more than 2 lacs price.

Is a 2,70,000 kms clocked qualis more reliable than sierra?

Is a 2,70,000 kms clocked qualis more reliable than sierra?
Toyota engines are considered trouble free and reliable.
Qualis is the one which gave reputation of reliability to Toyota in India.

Sierra is stylish and comfortable and it has acquired a new lease of image after it is discontinued. However you cannot opt for a Sierra now as a work horse.

Qualis will be the practical option for you.

Sumo could be a second option if you are lucky to find a right one from used car market.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Toyota engines are considered trouble free and reliable.
Qualis is the one which gave reputation of reliability to Toyota in India.

Sierra is stylish and comfortable and it has acquired a new lease of image after it is discontinued. However you cannot opt for a Sierra now as a work horse.

Qualis will be the practical option for you.

Sumo could be a second option if you are lucky to find a right one from used car market.
Sumo was my first preference but here no one uses it as a personal vehicle and all are heavily used commercially but still looking for one.
Suggest me where to find good one.

Sumo is better in terms of space and rough use, if you find a good piece. I knew many people who bought sieras but sold them off quickly due to many niggles and duplicate spare parts. Qualis is miles ahead of tata in term of reliability. 2.5 lack toyota will go upto 3.5lacks without any major complaints.

Trust me for 1.5 Lacs you could easily get a Safari TCIC 2000-2003 model. Go for it, it would have 4x4 plus better and advanced dynamics when compared to Sierra.

Top Bottom