Need Help in Deciding a Budget Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

For last 2-3 weeks I am in a confusion about a small car strictly for office commute for my wife.Right now she is using Honda Activa and I don't feel very safe in Bangalore Traffic. So feeling to buy a small car with great fuel economy.

Since we are expecting delivery of Ertiga ZDI by Jan/Feb 2012 therefore budget for this buy will be approx 2 lakhs.If Tata would have launched Nano Diesel it must have been a straight away shopping and I consider it as smart buy.

> Your Budget: around 2 lakhs

> New or Used: new or used

> Your Location: Bangalore

> Top Five Priorities: Low maintenance and high fuel economy

> Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms

> Type of Fuel: Petrol/Diesel/LPG

> For What Purpose: Office commute

> Seating Capacity:2

> Type of Segment: Tiny hatchback

Please suggest on following options:

1: Should we wait for Maruti Upcoming 800 Diesel or Tata Nano Diesel or Tata Pixel? Any idea about expected launch.

2: Can we go for 2nd hand Waganor or Santro with LPG option? The advantage I am considering is price as well as we can have hands on experience on small hatch before Ertiga.

3: What if we buy a 2nd hand Alto and get a aftermarket LPG kit?

4: Can any one please share running cost of any small hatch on LPG like Waganor etc.

It's clearly evident that our purchase is just to replace Activa and a very economical on pocket. We don't want to allocate huge expense on fuel bills and we can easily maintain our existing both 2wheelers (ZMR and Activa) along with future 4wheelers buy ( Ertiga ZDI confirmed and small tiny hatch yet to be decided).

Last edited:
Since you need a small hatch and it will be used for daily commute to Office i would say look for a used Alto or a Wagonr.
Ato would be the best choice and is definitely VFM.

I would suggest you to go for a preowned Alto or a Zen.
If you want a new car I would suggest you to bargain and get a pretty VFM deal with the phasing out Maruti 800 AC.

Thread Starter #4
I would suggest you to go for a preowned Alto or a Zen.
If you want a new car I would suggest you to bargain and get a pretty VFM deal with the phasing out Maruti 800 AC.
Thank you for the suggestion, but don't you think a brand new Nano will be better than pre owned Alto or Zen. Any idea about launch date of Nano Diesel. We need this car only for office commuting mostly used by my wife.

Ad!tya

Suspended
If you want a new car, then Nano petrol is not bad. It is under budget, has high FE, and would be easy to drive for your wife in B'lore traffic.
If you prefer used, then look out for a nice well maintained Alto Lxi, maybe 2-3 years old. Zen is too much dated I feel, Alto will be a nice deal.

Good luck for the purchase.

Top Bottom