Need an Used MPV For Corporate / Marketing Purpose

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Friends,
I am looking forward to get an MPV for Business use. We will be making marketing Runs of 200~300 Km per day about weekly.

New or Used- Used
Budget- Upto 4 lacs
Fuel- Diesel

Top Priorities include-
Abuse Friendly, Good Lugging Capability, Good Diesel Fe, Extremely low Maintenance.
ABS and AC required but would prefer Minimum Electronics for Reliability.

Purpose-
Lugging upto 4 Technical, Marketing Executives on Cross-City Promotion with Marketing Material in decent comfort. Should be Highway as well as City friendly.

Payload-
Upto 4 Potbellied Executives with about 300~400kg of POP material and Product samples.

So friends I am looking at MPV as above I would like to hear your thought and suggestions on this. I am currently having a few models in Mind as below-

1. Mahindra Xylo (post 2012).
I've always had a slight soft corner for Xylo as this is the only thing in India where I dare enter the 3rd row. Known to have rugged mechanicals. Proven 2.2 Engine with tremendous torque and Abuse friendly Chasis. Mahindra solved Bobbing and suspension issues to good extent in 2012 but its still not perfect. Available at a very good price on OLX listings in range of 3.5 to 4.5 Lacs with AC. The huge Cabin space with Foldable space will provide huge Boot to store Samples whilst executives can stretch in the front rows.

Among the Negatives there are quite a few.
The Huge dimensions will be Difficult for city. Its not much smaller than XUV I think.
FE is't that great at about 12 Kmpl overall. Finding a good specimen with ABS in used market is a task as most of the listings are Taxi used (Abused).
Suspension still has some boat effect and is not exactly stable on High speed highways. About Maintainance i have'nt found mahindra to be exactly cheap, esp with higher end models with ABS, Airbags and other electronics.

2. Maruti Ertiga VDI-
Another top contender and I was mentally prepared to buy one but hang on, We will come to that later.
Among the good things are very sweet compact dimensions to reach every gully in the city. Easy to drive in Absense of chauffeur. The National 1.3 Engine now comes with VGT so has good performance and exellent BHP/Ton ratios. Very good FE near 18 KMPL overall. Biggest benefit is All diesels come with ABS by default. Marutis are known for low maintenance and cheap spares, with service also available in rural areas. Highway manners are quite good with 90 BHP DDIS having good mid range surge.

Coming to the bad part, there is really only one.
The Pricing. 5 year old cars on OLX are being quoted near 6.5 to 7.5 lacs which is totally absurd. Considering they brought cars for 9 lac in 2012~13 how is such crazy pricing, I do not know. Another smaller nick is that Last row of seats will have to be unbolted for heavy luggage, As We cannot keep heavy luggage on Seat backs.

3. Safari LX 4x2-
This wasn't really an option in thoughts but while browsing OLX listings I found old safari's listed for a good 50K LESS than the xylo!
Rest I need not say anything much as safari is an old crush. However due to Poor FE of about 10.5 KMPL combined with Higher maintenance will probably keep me away, sadly.

Please Pour In, Folks!

Re: Need an Used MPV for Corporate/ Marketing Use

As you are considering suv/muv ..
Why not consider scorpio
1.scorpio base model (before 2014) which comes with m2dicr engine good at fuel economy when compare to mhawk engine..
Trusted robust engine and easily fall in your budget ..
Will easily fetch you around 14 kmpl on highways (based on driving )

Easy to handle at lower speeds .. better handler always than xylo .

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member

As you are considering suv/muv ..
Why not consider scorpio
1.scorpio base model (before 2014) which comes with m2dicr engine good at fuel economy when compare to mhawk engine..
Trusted robust engine and easily fall in your budget ..
Will easily fetch you around 14 kmpl on highways (based on driving )

Easy to handle at lower speeds .. better handler always than xylo .
I would'nt Mind a Scorpio.
However I am finding it difficult to get good specimens in my Price. Most scorps near 3.5 to 4 lacs are run above 1.5 lac kms are are looking quite abused. Will still keep eyes open for it, Thanks!

BTW-
I have started talking to various people on OLX,
Best offers for ertiga are near 5.8 lacs for 80K Kms used vehicles. Why is it so expensive?

Akash1886

Honoured Member

BTW-
I have started talking to various people on OLX,
Best offers for ertiga are near 5.8 lacs for 80K Kms used vehicles. Why is it so expensive?
Buddy, I would say stick to Mahindra or TATA. Ertiga pricing is only because of the brand name and though it is a capable product yet for your purpose it does not suit in my view. As suggested, stick with the Xylo. Maruti Ertiga doesn't have that sort of built or strength to be abuse friendly. For your purpose, you need an MPV with SUV like strength or a complete big SUV. Ertiga fits in neither.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #5

bhvm

Honoured Member

Safari Makes sense? Its actually cheaper than xylo.
Any inputs on maintenance costs of Safari vs Xylo?

Bro safari fits in your budget.but maintenance bills wont fits your pocket.you have to shell out heavily for fuel bills.safari wont give more than 9kmpl in traffic and not exceed more than 11 in highways.and that too safari clutch is so hard.i am feeling clutch in my scorpio is hard and my leg will be aching in bumper to bumper traffic..imagine safari clutch in heavy traffic.your leg will be swollen

About ertiga
I say just dont see that side.i personally dont feel mjds dont sustain after 1.3lkh .they need regular servicing ..lots of maintenance.turbo issues.more over ertiga is not rubust vehicle.its a pure family car for city usage not offroader in any sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7

bhvm

Honoured Member

Guys thanks for the Inputs,
I am a little confused on Xylo.
There are a few revisions. The earliest xylos were having boat like ride and would actually overturn or slip on highway undulations. Then mahindra rectified it. That was 2012 right?
What are some clues to observe that I get updated xylo?
Also there are 2 serials. One is D4, D6 etc
Other is H6, H8, H9. Whats the difference here?

Mostly D4 is available which is basic model without airbags.

kkn13

Suspended

Why not Innova? They last extremely long in tourist market, are cheap to maintain and very reliable, plus youll get insane resale value in future

Xylo cabin is slightly bigger

Ertiga is not bad as people want to make it but it is more for city use, can handle highways but not as good as the rest and vice versa so dont diss it immediately

Safari is a good contender but too bulky for city just like the others mentioned here except Ertiga

As a former Scorpio owner, it was a good vehicle, very abuse friendly but scary on highways for emergency manuevers, sudden unforseen lane changes etc, too much roll. Steering was excellent for city use too though unlike most other UVs

On the whole, Id say Innova,Xylo,Safari are the safest bet in the used market , in order of preference

I think you can even look at the Tata Aria but spares may become a problem in the future and the best bet from your options will be Ertiga due to maruti badge you will get a good resale value and low maintenance but it won't be as dominating as safari on road

Last edited:

I would say Xylo is good as it is very very spacious almost like a mini bus [lol]. My in-laws have a Xylo already done close to 2L kms and apart from minor niggles in between has been very faithful. Agree that mileage is not very good compared to others. You are bang on, it has boat like ride and I found its width intimidating to drive in narrow city roads but it never turned over even after doing 2L kms (not sure which year probably 2012 or before only). One issue is that its too tall and rear-ward visibility is a joke (I already rear-ended it once).

I think Xylo would suit you better however Aria can be the best bet as you can get it for very less and the space and ride quality is just wow. Proven engine and underpinings will give you piece with exclusivity especially when it would be used for marketing purpose it will give you an identity.

Refrain from Ertiga as it might come as u underpowered and lower luggage space for your need.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

bhvm

Honoured Member

Why not Innova? They last extremely long in tourist market, are cheap to maintain and very reliable, plus youll get insane resale value in future

Xylo cabin is slightly bigger

Ertiga is not bad as people want to make it but it is more for city use, can handle highways but not as good as the rest and vice versa so dont diss it immediately

Safari is a good contender but too bulky for city just like the others mentioned here except Ertiga

As a former Scorpio owner, it was a good vehicle, very abuse friendly but scary on highways for emergency manuevers, sudden unforseen lane changes etc, too much roll. Steering was excellent for city use too though unlike most other UVs

On the whole, Id say Innova,Xylo,Safari are the safest bet in the used market , in order of preference
Hello KK,
We are not actively looking for an Innova. The prime reasons being very steep upfront price that it commands, even in Used market. And as you said, Most innovas are abused as a taxi which means there might be more expense and Maintainance long term. Other reasons are very small wheels and underpowered engine, it could have trouble carrying heavy luggage.

I will come back to ertiga and safari down below.
I think you can even look at the Tata Aria but spares may become a problem in the future and the best bet from your options will be Ertiga due to maruti badge you will get a good resale value and low maintenance but it won't be as dominating as safari on road
Hello Revv,
I could find only 2 listings on OLX maharashtra, which is already pointing me towards that it is a sinking ship.
The "High" resale value to ertiga is already hurting upfront as below.

I would say Xylo is good as it is very very spacious almost like a mini bus [lol]. My in-laws have a Xylo already done close to 2L kms and apart from minor niggles in between has been very faithful. Agree that mileage is not very good compared to others. You are bang on, it has boat like ride and I found its width intimidating to drive in narrow city roads but it never turned over even after doing 2L kms (not sure which year probably 2012 or before only). One issue is that its too tall and rear-ward visibility is a joke (I already rear-ended it once).
Thanks for sharing the experience. xylo is the only MPV in India where adults can sit in 3rd row.

I think Xylo would suit you better however Aria can be the best bet as you can get it for very less and the space and ride quality is just wow. Proven engine and underpinings will give you piece with exclusivity especially when it would be used for marketing purpose it will give you an identity.

Refrain from Ertiga as it might come as u underpowered and lower luggage space for your need.
Aria is being avoided as reasons discussed above. We do not even get regular service at our place, forget getting spares for an oddball product. Now that Hexa is very quickly replacing Aria, the Tata marketing campaign is aimed towards erasing the Aria Image and its name forever.

About the ertiga, I heard that MJD engines do not last much more than 1.5 lac Kms, and that the specimens listed on OLX are already used 80k to 1 lac kms which means that remaining life would be quite less. Luggage space is'nt the problem if you unbolt the 3rd row completely, but underpowered it may be. Even the Autocar review mentioned it so.

Twist in the tale, and my thoughts-

The Ertiga, which was once a top contender is being pushed to last place. Mainly because absurd and unrealistic pricing that these people expect. One of the gentleman i talked to, expected 8 Lacs for 2014 model, run 80K Kms. Even one of the Best priced specimens (If BEST is a correct term to use) were'nt much below 5.3 lacs.
Other reason being very small 1.3 Engine which is not abuse friendly and does not last much above 1.3~1.5 lac kms, even with regular maintenance. I am sure that ertiga will be this time skipped, unless I find an Amazon lightning deal somewhere.

This and as many forum members suggested, Leaves us with priorities like Xylo, Innova, Scorpio and so on. Be it the space, Luggage carying capacity, Tough chaisis- these MPVs or SUVs have them all. There comes a twist.
After pondering over a sleepless night, I struck on a few thoughts.

If we are already talking xylo, We are talking about tall and wide elephant, which needs 5 meters of parking space, is cumbersome in the city, Drinks fuel thirstily (10~11.5 KMPL expected for all these) and is a Traditional Body on Frame MPV/Suv.
If we are already talking about the Elephant, Why not talk about the safari?[clap]
Yes My friends, The safari which was on 3rd place is now on the top. The only downside is slightly higher maintenance cost compared to Xylo (Or in Line of the Innova, talking about ASC) and slightly higher tyre cost.
On the Upsides, There are many,
Safari is available for peanuts compared to other cars, even the xylo. Secure a good safari about 1 lac cheaper than xylo, Keep the money aside for Maintenance, and we have a very sorted deal.
But there is one very specific upside that is missing in all other MPVs-
The STATUS

Park the royal safari in Front of any Client's office and you immediately get respect. Someone serious has arrived. Bonus points added.

Hello KK,
We are not actively looking for an Innova. The prime reasons being very steep upfront price that it commands, even in Used market. And as you said, Most innovas are abused as a taxi which means there might be more expense and Maintainance long term. Other reasons are very small wheels and underpowered engine, it could have trouble carrying heavy luggage.

I will come back to ertiga and safari down below.

Hello Revv,
I could find only 2 listings on OLX maharashtra, which is already pointing me towards that it is a sinking ship.
The "High" resale value to ertiga is already hurting upfront as below.

Thanks for sharing the experience. xylo is the only MPV in India where adults can sit in 3rd row.

Aria is being avoided as reasons discussed above. We do not even get regular service at our place, forget getting spares for an oddball product. Now that Hexa is very quickly replacing Aria, the Tata marketing campaign is aimed towards erasing the Aria Image and its name forever.

About the ertiga, I heard that MJD engines do not last much more than 1.5 lac Kms, and that the specimens listed on OLX are already used 80k to 1 lac kms which means that remaining life would be quite less. Luggage space is'nt the problem if you unbolt the 3rd row completely, but underpowered it may be. Even the Autocar review mentioned it so.

Twist in the tale, and my thoughts-

The Ertiga, which was once a top contender is being pushed to last place. Mainly because absurd and unrealistic pricing that these people expect. One of the gentleman i talked to, expected 8 Lacs for 2014 model, run 80K Kms. Even one of the Best priced specimens (If BEST is a correct term to use) were'nt much below 5.3 lacs.
Other reason being very small 1.3 Engine which is not abuse friendly and does not last much above 1.3~1.5 lac kms, even with regular maintenance. I am sure that ertiga will be this time skipped, unless I find an Amazon lightning deal somewhere.

This and as many forum members suggested, Leaves us with priorities like Xylo, Innova, Scorpio and so on. Be it the space, Luggage carying capacity, Tough chaisis- these MPVs or SUVs have them all. There comes a twist.
After pondering over a sleepless night, I struck on a few thoughts.

If we are already talking xylo, We are talking about tall and wide elephant, which needs 5 meters of parking space, is cumbersome in the city, Drinks fuel thirstily (10~11.5 KMPL expected for all these) and is a Traditional Body on Frame MPV/Suv.
If we are already talking about the Elephant, Why not talk about the safari?[clap]
Yes My friends, The safari which was on 3rd place is now on the top. The only downside is slightly higher maintenance cost compared to Xylo (Or in Line of the Innova, talking about ASC) and slightly higher tyre cost.
On the Upsides, There are many,
Safari is available for peanuts compared to other cars, even the xylo. Secure a good safari about 1 lac cheaper than xylo, Keep the money aside for Maintenance, and we have a very sorted deal.
But there is one very specific upside that is missing in all other MPVs-
The STATUS

Park the royal safari in Front of any Client's office and you immediately get respect. Someone serious has arrived. Bonus points added.
Bro, Safari is a Safari after all and the kind of respect you get in this car is outlandish. No other vehicle command this kind of respect, exclusivity and roomines inside.

So if you are okay with the maintenance it will ask for then nothing can beat this Tata.

If you can get Storme then even the deal would make it perfect.

As you have narrawoed down to safari my only recommendation will be buy one which is well maintained and better if the previous owner is an enthusiast because if you buy a Tata which is not well maintained it might give you nightmare as we have owned a Indica if the car is regularly serviced then it will not give any headaches but finding a good one can be[;)]. As for the respect it will get on the road as well as by your clients and in rural areas too. Best of luck. [:)]

Top Bottom