Need Advice - Re-Registration Process with RTO KR Puram

Thread Starter #16
Well detailed Mahajan. I concur that most of the processes (pains rather) you underwent are same as mine. PFB my comments in Bold.

8. Next step – physical verification of your car by MVI – the motor vehicle inspector – he is the gentleman with khaki police-esque clothes and standing outside (cursing various poor human entities trying their hands on driving ….na na na na it von’t do). Although he disappears more frequently than the Cheshire cat, but luck was on my side that he was standing opposite to my car. He asked me to open the hood and matched pencil-imprint on KMV27 with chassis-number, then signed it - took just a couple of minutes. In my case, he didn't even bother to come down to look out the car. He asked me to get the car near the office (old office) and he glanced it from the 1st floor. Smiled at me and signed the papers. Moreover, he also smiled once again while handing the papers to me, I was trying to guess and left there thanking as if I am so dump.[lol]

Not a single time they told me two things in a single sentence – so it was first get an envelope, then get a clear plastic one for RC…telling more than one thing in a single sentence will, probably, break whatever oath they took at the time of joining the government service. Almost fell off the chair... Just can't stop laughing yet. They are just that...

Trivia:
- Next door photocopy / Xerox shops sell everything e.g. files, tags etc…they even make affidavit, and (hold your breath…) rent agreement and (Ok, this time, please do hold it) electricity bills as well…..
- These shops provide “RTO Services” as well.
- Shall I complain…these shop charge 3/- for a photocopy – which is on the higher side I told them, but aunty there pointed out that next shop is some one km away! Very True.

- Language…speak Kannada, or at least understand it…otherwise first they won’t understand English till you start talking in Hindi, at which point you will be told to speak in English ;). But nobody in that office harasses you just because you don’t know the lingua-franca. In fact they even sent their boy with me to show me room #5 to take papers – may be because of (see last line), but they are good – even if slow/not keen on sharing information in a single go.Agreed. In my case, I managed most of the time with English alone. Though it's tough, they tried to answer me with whatever possible English. I really found that to be supportive thinking if I had to do the same in Maharashtra...

Next Mission:
Get refund of LTT paid (for rest of the life my car) at Delhi. All the best. But I think, you can do it only after you get the KA number. Just check and keep us updated.

Most stupid thing I did – you won’t even believe it – took my four year ol’ with me! You meant, 4 year old kid with you?
BTW, what you will get now is the KA Smart Card with old Delhi Number. You will be asked to apply for KA number later 3 months of receiving that Smart Card and that process may take another 3 months.

In my case, I got a letter after a month that my tax calculation wasn't right (which was done by the same Superintend) and I need to pay the differential amount. How much? Rs. 75... And I had to make a DD for that[frustration].

Even after paying that, didn't hear back for more than 3 months, so had to pay them a couple of visits. In one such visits, finally, I was told it's been mailed a month ago. When I asked I had never received, he dug his drawer to find the Smart Card lying there... Without any reaction, he asked for the Original Acknowledgement to hand the SC to me. I just had a photocopy and not the original.

I asked him why is it here yet? He said, it was mailed and returned.
Is it? Do you have any evidence that it was mailed?
Mister, if you want this, give me the Acknowledgement and take it. No more talks.
I said, I have a photocopy, why won't you take it or how would you have taken the original acknowledgement if the SC would been delivered to me by post?
Mister, this is the process. Take it or leave it.

Do I have a choice? Went again with the original and got the SC.

Then, what about the New KA Number?
You should apply that separately.

But I was told, all are one single process and I submitted all the docs for that.
No. It's different. Apply separately.

OK, when?
After 3 months.

After 3 months of when?
After 3 months from the issuance of this SC.

Seeing the issuance date (13-Jul-12) and we were in sometime Nov, I said, it's already time now then.
Then go get the documents.

What docs?

But these were already submitted at the time of Re-registration?
I don't know all that, if you want, submit these with a letter requesting for new number. (Now that's an additional document than what he listed just a couple of seconds ago.)

Thanks much. Will meet you again...

I am yet to go back.

elephant gone, tail remaining.
I literally [lol] loud in office reading this

Next Mission:
Get refund of LTT paid (for rest of the life my car) at Delhi.
Eagerly waiting for this mission.

God knows when i would be the one writing my experience on re-reg and refund of LTT [roll]

Well detailed Mahajan. I concur that most of the processes (pains rather) you underwent are same as mine. PFB my comments in Bold.

BTW, what you will get now is the KA Smart Card with old Delhi Number. You will be asked to apply for KA number later 3 months of receiving that Smart Card and that process may take another 3 months.

In my case, I got a letter after a month that my tax calculation wasn't right (which was done by the same Superintend) and I need to pay the differential amount. How much? Rs. 75... And I had to make a DD for that.

Even after paying that, didn't hear back for more than 3 months, so had to pay them a couple of visits. In one such visits, finally, I was told it's been mailed a month ago. When I asked I had never received, he dug his drawer to find the Smart Card lying there... Without any reaction, he asked for the Original Acknowledgement to hand the SC to me. I just had a photocopy and not the original.

I asked him why is it here yet? He said, it was mailed and returned.
Is it? Do you have any evidence that it was mailed?
Mister, if you want this, give me the Acknowledgement and take it. No more talks.
I said, I have a photocopy, why won't you take it or how would you have taken the original acknowledgement if the SC would been delivered to me by post?
Mister, this is the process. Take it or leave it.

Do I have a choice? Went again with the original and got the SC.

Then, what about the New KA Number?
You should apply that separately.

But I was told, all are one single process and I submitted all the docs for that.
No. It's different. Apply separately.

OK, when?
After 3 months.

After 3 months of when?
After 3 months from the issuance of this SC.

Seeing the issuance date (13-Jul-12) and we were in sometime Nov, I said, it's already time now then.
Then go get the documents.

What docs?

But these were already submitted at the time of Re-registration?
I don't know all that, if you want, submit these with a letter requesting for new number. (Now that's an additional document than what he listed just a couple of seconds ago.)

Thanks much. Will meet you again...

I am yet to go back.

Phew! Time-consuming stuff. GULP!

Why cant there be a system to pay all-india tax / specific state tax and retain the original number? Or something wherein you dont have to change reg. numbers, but can pay / get refund of tax??

Major re-wamping would be required in our country to get things straight and common man friendly. [cry]

Yes Figoian...my four year old kid. Actually all I had in mind was to get the tax-amount verified (can't spend 43k without analyzing and/or negotiating), but on reaching there I saw that office as well as cash-counter was empty - so I promised to myself "OK - I'll do just one thing today and will go home to return next week or get it through that agent...". In fact every-time I asked about the next step I was informed of just _ONE_ more step and go home and wait for smart-card. Right from 10:30 it was like "..now please get signatures of officer X and bring it back. That officer-X always used to ask for at least one additional thing which was not there....and after grabbing that whatever-life-saving-item and then getting signatures, the original officer used to dispatch me to the next person/room/counter - where this entire drill used to take place again (but with a different officer/signature/document)

Except at the cash-counter, never during all this they allowed me to feel that my target could be more than ten minutes away.

Transport Department

Last two lines are:
On verification of application and documents, new Registration Mark will be assigned.
The Documents will be delivered after two days between 4.30 pm and 5.30 pm.

New Registration mark - shouldn't that be given - with two, or OK, or even 30 days of all this Form 27/28/14/33/Submit-fee/documents drill?

I asked the Astt. RTO on how could I get refund from the last RTO - he replied that fill form 16, but the process will be initiated after "few days" when you will get your KA number and smart card. Since I had seen your post, so I asked whether new smart card will be having the new number and he replied with an emphatic "yes-yes".

Although it is not very clear from RTO site, it mentions form 27 only, but aren't those extra forms (especially the official KMV27 printed on extra-thin, fragile paper...?) do include the registration (or rather, the re-registration)?

Last edited:
RTO office remains closed on the Second Saturday (..of every month!)- learnt it the hard way after I went there to inquire about it - it has been more than a month and I have not received any paper, or smart-card or any other communication from RTO.

Thread Starter #24
RTO office remains closed on the Second Saturday (..of every month!)- learnt it the hard way after I went there to inquire about it - it has been more than a month and I have not received any paper, or smart-card or any other communication from RTO.
Ohhh... That's sad. They are closed on 2nd Saturdays.

Don't expect any communication, except for if any balance taxes to be paid. Otherwise, visiting them Monthly or Bi-Monthly like you do for any friends or relatives would give you the status update. Mostly, the update would be, "You will get it soon" [clap].

So when have you planned for next visit? If possible, we shall go together.

OK...does no communication mean that all my docs/fee/hard-work etc. got through and _eventually_ I'll be rewarded with a new RC - I mean whenever I get it, would it be "the" new RC or could it even be a failure message (say, after 4 months...)?
Planning for RTO-darshanas on coming Saturday.

Is there any site where I could know the current status? Delhi's vehicle registration site (Registration Details) is still showing my details...does it mean that RTO-KA-53 is yet to get my data?

Thread Starter #26
OK...does no communication mean that all my docs/fee/hard-work etc. got through and _eventually_ I'll be rewarded with a new RC - I mean whenever I get it, would it be "the" new RC or could it even be a failure message (say, after 4 months...)?
Planning for RTO-darshanas on coming Saturday.

Is there any site where I could know the current status? Delhi's vehicle registration site (Registration Details) is still showing my details...does it mean that RTO-KA-53 is yet to get my data?
Can be either way, but will be a surprise for sure, that either it had happened or not even started. So be prepared to face anything with a light heart [lol].

Please PM your number, will connect with you if I can join.

I don't think we have any such sites to check the status [frustration].

Got it - finally. A KA RC with my good ol' DL number [:D]. To collect it, go to the second floor, room no.3 (non-Transport vehicles' section...?) and the gentleman sitting next to the lady who issued you the acknowledgement will give you the RC smart-card. Do remember:
1. Take original acknowledgement
2. Inquiry time is 3:30 to 4:30 pm - and they are very particular about it. (Although if you try to inquire earlier, then try your luck with the lady with computer who sits in the last, extreme right; she will check your acknowledgement number in computer and will tell you if it has been issued /dispatched and dates for that etc. But don't expect any other person to budge even a inch).

I was told that my RC was dispatched on 27th March - that is on 3rd working day of my original drill - wow. But since I didn't get it, I was told to come again in the afternoon between 3.30-4.30 to get any meaningful information like speed-post reference etc. There was no other option, but to come only in the afternoon. At 3.30 they were friendlier because crowd was less - I was given the register (of speed post entries) to search my name, which was not there, so the gentleman there searched an almirah, some drawers and finally found my card - that poor man was very apologetic about it that they didn't send it through post and that it was just lying there on his desk.

I asked him when could I apply for a KA number, he said that after ONE month (forgot to ask, but I think it is 2 months already gone + 1 month from now...), and that NO forms are required, only an application on plain-paper (...he even told me the wordings - of what to write in that application...), original RC, copies of insurance and PUC. Fee would be INR 200/- and had to be paid on the counter (no draft) - and that counter closes early, and it is only after that I would be able to claim refund from Delhi RTO, where I would be required to send Form16.

Time to rejoice...aint' it?

BTW, I'm impressed that if your papers are complete, fee is all paid, then they do create that smarter version of your registration card in just two days - just like it is mentioned on the site. Yes, it is a different matter altogether that somebody missed giving it to the daak-babooo, but still, this is OK-no - chalta hai madi ;), we ourselves are not used to such a fast service! But yes, to those who are reading this in search of some meaningful information, I would advise to check after 2 working days or maybe in a week to know the status of RC-affairs.

Thread Starter #28
*New Registration mark - shouldn't that be given - within two, or OK,even 30 days of all this Form 27/28/14/33/Submit-fee/documents drill?
So, what were you told about the New KA Reg Number?
Since I had seen your post, so I asked whether new smart card will be having the new number and he replied with an emphatic "yes-yes".
Got it - finally. A KA RC with my good ol' DL number
Hmmmm... So, I was very right [clap]. Anyways, congrats on this achievement. Yes, it's really an achievement to do things without paying bribes, either directly to officials or indirectly thru Agents in Govt. offices.

I was told that my RC was dispatched on 27th March - that is on 3rd working day of my original drill - wow. But since I didn't get it, I was told to come again in the afternoon between 3.30-4.30 to get any meaningful information like speed-post reference etc. There was no other option, but to come only in the afternoon. At 3.30 they were friendlier because crowd was less - I was given the register (of speed post entries) to search my name, which was not there, so the gentleman there searched an almirah, some drawers and finally found my card - that poor man was very apologetic about it that they didn't send it through post and that it was just lying there on his desk.

I asked him when could I apply for a KA number, he said that after ONE month (forgot to ask, but I think it is 2 months already gone + 1 month from now...), and that NO forms are required, only an application on plain-paper (...he even told me the wordings - of what to write in that application...), original RC, copies of insurance and PUC. Fee would be INR 200/- and had to be paid on the counter (no draft)
Mannnn... This is exactly the same in my case too, or probably in every case may be? He first said, it's all been sent long time ago. When I denied of any such possibility on this earth, the 'reluctant' officer started searching his desk in the millennium old method and found it. When I asked him about the same, he said, it was sent and returned back as it wasn't received. I then asked for the mail tracking details & acknowledgement, he got furious and said, "Mr. Don't ask unnecessary questions. If you want this card, give the original acknowledgement receipt and take it." As I just had a copy of it and original was home, I asked him to take it instead of the original one. As he replied negative, I asked him, "how would have got the original one if the Smart Card was sent thru Post?". He got even more furious for this and reiterated in full tone "Mr. Don't ask unnecessary questions. If you want this card, give the original acknowledgement receipt and take it."

Do you have a choice? I was more angry than him, but do what?

Soon, uniform road tax to make vehicle cheaper - I wonder how soon is the soon:
Soon, uniform road tax to make vehicles cheaper - Times Of India
this article said:
Moreover, there is also unanimity among states that there should be "national permits" for passenger vehicles on the lines of goods vehicles, which will facilitate their hassle-free movement across states and avoid harassment by local transport officials.

Hey,
Today I went back to RTO KR Puram to apply for a Karnataka number for my car. Last time when went there, I paid LTT and then got my car registered in KA (i.e. registered in KA, but with old DL number). I was told to show up after 3 months for this. Though I kind of liked (and more importantly, remembered too) my DL wallah-number, but I’ve been told that DL folks won’t bother to return the tax paid there without this.

Documents required:
1. Application on plain paper – basically your request for the new registration mark
2. CMV27 – that is the form which states “CMV FORM 27 (see rule 54) FOR ASSIGNMENT OF NEW REGISTRATION MARK TO A MOTOR VEHICLE”…filled it, and then got my car’s chassis number too pencil-imprinted (…just in case, but I don’t think it was required). Get it from http://rto.kar.nic.in/cmv27.pdf
3. Photocopies of following documents, all signed (self-attested kinda…):
a. RC – the KA RC/smart-card which I got last time
b. PHOTO copy of tax-receipts
c. Insurance certificate
d. PUC – Pollution under control
4. Original – RC – the KA RC/smart-card which I got last time – you’ll be getting another brand-new card, again.

…though not listed, but still obligatory articles…acquired the four things listed below for INR 30/- from the Xerox shops next door (...next door of RTO):
5. A transparent plastic pouch – to keep your present RC safely with `em.
6. A file-cover to put in all the papers
7. A tag to hold everything together – so that papers don't fly around in your visits to different counters.
8. Self-addressed envelope, stamped adequately (Rs.17 for within Bangalore) for speed-post.

Steps:
1. Go to first floor (Room #3, DL section…Was it DL?), right most / first counter – the gentleman there will go through your papers and then on the application you've written, put his signatures and the amount of fee to be paid (Re-registration INR200/- and SmartCard INR200/-) - all in red-ink.
2. Ground floor, the hall with cash-counters, second counter (from left…), they’ll take 337(200-Reassignment and 137 – SC).
3. Ground floor, room no. 5 (outside the cash-counters’ hall), pay 63/- to get the bio-metric sticker (or something big-sounding thing like that, of the size of a postal stamp) affixed on receipt you got in the last step.
4. Go to second floor – this time the seating positions were changed there (yes, I had mugged-up / crammed-up everything in my earlier post....), to the second counter form right, show the gentleman there your papers, he verified fee, documents and signatures), and asked me to give it to lady in the right most (the first one) counter.
5. Voilla! The last counter. Here too the papers were verified, and I was told to submit both the receipts from Step-2, original as well as the carbon-copy; and then when everything was good, to sign the application (sign it again…may be to confirm that I am who I am). She took the file from me and issued me the acknowledgement– just like the last time – and told me that my new RC will follow me to my home in next 30 days.

Time in my watch - 11:22! Finished in one hour straight - wow! I had to wait at a couple of counter, but yes, I did spend that time well in a series of free mini-lectures of "how to..." and on advising people to get file-n-other-accessories.

Total fee I paid – INR 400/- the chap issuing those bio-metric stickers is so good/nice/honest that in the morning I was given two-tenners less because he didn't have the change. Later on when I was going back, he saw me – he called me in, and then gave me back those twenty rupees. Guys, now dare you complain about corruption. Instead complain about you yourself being lazy, and/or ignorant for falling into traps of those agents/guides who do a “May I help you” the moment you step down from your vehicle.

After 11 the cash counters were full with long queues, and crowd spilling out from that room. But at 10:45 when I paid the fee, I was, I think the 3rd one in the queue – come early.

This time – with well equipped with file-cover, envelope, a tag and the plastic-pouch – I didn’t have to step out of the office. IMHO, in addition to the documents' list, they shall list these things too.
They did _NOT_ do any vehicle inspection…I should have come on my cycle!
Photographs/ ID proof/residential proof - no, nothing, nopes, nahin, enu-illa - these were NOT asked for.

So, here am I – again waiting for a new RC.

Top Bottom