Need Advice On My First Second Hand Car.

AMG

Suspended
Lets say a used swift diesel costs x lakhs
two used gets = x lakhs
three used palios = x lakhs
Swift petrol + palio= x lahs

But dont forget about the x maintenance cost and y fuel costs and the z resale value, everything matters.
Hope you get it :-)

Jeno

I don’t think one will buy secondhand well maintained with low or moderate running (less than 80K Kms) Swift Diesel below 4.5 laks
So equation goes like this
One Swift Diesel = two Getz= Three Palio = One Swift Petrol and One Palio.
Second hand Swift Diesel cost is about 4.5lks
Secondhand Getz cost is bout 2lks approx so in 4.5 lks one can buy Two Getz.
Plaio is fetching approximately 1.2 to 1.5 lks so one can buy three Palios in 4.5lks budget.
Swift petrol is on higher side so considering it approx 3 lks so with budget of Swift Diesel one can buy One Swift petrol along with Palio

Plaio is fetching approximately 1.2 to 1.5 lks so one can buy three Palios in 4.5lks budget.
Swift petrol is on higher side so considering it approx 3 lks so with budget of Swift Diesel one can buy One Swift petrol along with Palio

What would be your choise in that case? I guess, choosing A CAR is being discussed, so what is good on pocket considering it needs to be sold after a year of usage?

That was a intelligent calulation [clap]

What would be your choise in that case? I guess, choosing A CAR is being discussed, so what is good on pocket considering it needs to be sold after a year of usage?
I would have chosen The Palio may be 1.6 keeping budget 1 to 1.2 lks and 30k for immediate maintenance e.g. tyres ice or may be some sort of engine work. And after a year I would have exchange with another vehicle or put up an advertisement for grand 1lks and 20 K as a negotiation tolerance.
So equitation would be 120K+30K=150K
After one year 100K -(20K negotiation)=80K
My usage cost would be 70K +Fuel.

@ jeno_turbo Thanks Buddy.

+1 for Palio 1.6
I would buy it if i were in that situation.
-italian build
-european handling
-outright power
-quite reliable

What more do you expect?

Jeno

It is your choice as every minute spent at service centre would help you learn about cars, parts, struggle and other important things. So in a sense, they will make you learn something [lol].

Now jokes a part and coming to the point:

See if you want to play safe go with Swift or even a wagon R and if you want to try your luck then plunge for Getz or Palio. Or in other words, if you have time to go and run after service centres then go for Getz or Palio and if peace of mind is concerned go for Swift.

I would have chosen The Palio may be 1.6 keeping budget 1 to 1.2 lks and 30k for immediate maintenance e.g. tyres ice or may be some sort of engine work. And after a year I would have exchange with another vehicle or put up an advertisement for grand 1lks and 20 K as a negotiation tolerance.
So equitation would be 120K+30K=150K
After one year 100K -(20K negotiation)=80K
My usage cost would be 70K +Fuel.
That sounds great! Would be good fun for a year.

However, I would agree to Shailinder as well.[;)]

Advice On My First Second Hand Car :-
Initial homework
Current prices
Running costs
Proper documentation
Ask a knowledgeable friend
Examine the car in daylight
Is the mileage legitimate
Test drive
Independent inspection
Before handing over the money
Valid insurance

One of our members is seeking help from forum for his wagonR.(Link)
Can we conclude that WagonR is unreliable? And / Or Maruti ASS is not good.
I think most of readers will say no – one example cannot represent the entire product range.

Just want to point out that Fiat products are being hated and rated as worst by most of online Japanese users.

They have created scene like one failure means entire product range – whole organization is failure.

Delays in getting spares were a history for Fiat cars.
ASS is getting stronger now a days.
I personally visited ASS as well as local garages for enquiry of critical spares.
Answer which I got is ''YES'' it is available.
My survey is based in Pune for personal purpose. Should be valid for metro Cities.

Here I want to focus on the fact that one can easily take advantage of poor resale of Palio and enjoy the ride with light pocket.

I suggest you to go for old Zen
1. Its fun to drive
2. High fuel efficiency
3. Low maintenance
4. Spares availability
5. Can easily do modifications for performance improvement
6. Good resell value
7. Less parking space and very comfortable for city drives

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
Hi Frndz,

After all the valuable suggestions from everybody. Today TD a swift. Details of the swift are below.

Asking Price: 3.2L
Mfg Yr: 2006
Clolur: Red
Petrol version.
Odo reading: 56,000
Owner: 3rd[anger]

Car is in kinda good condition except for a few dents. The car was driven in chennai, so one cant expect a dent free car.[anger] I find it to be good. Waiting for a frnd of mine to examine it. There are few concerns, in 2nd gear, the performance of the car is not that great. But the issue is only in 2nd gear. Once the car crosses 40 or so the performance is good. There is some rattling noise. But, not so much. Apart from these I dont find any issues with it. No please suggest me what all needs to be checked and advise.

Top Bottom