Need a New Diesel Hatch for Daily Commute (Budget: 5 - 7 Lacs)

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI,

I’m looking at buying a new car when I chanced upon TAI. I read through a few posts and found them to be informative and real.

Here are the parameters that I’m looking at for the new car:-

Budget: Rs.5 – 7 Lakh
New or Used: New Car
Top Five Priorities: Low Spend on fuel and maintenance, comfort (space, features), safety, should be good for city traffic and resale value
Monthly Running: Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms
Type of Fuel: Diesel
Purpose: Largely Regular Use, Occasional Highway Trips
Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults
Segment: Not very particular but guess the budget suits only a hatch.

Quick Overview:-
Let me give you a brief insight about my current scenario. I own a Ritz Vxi (Oct 2009). I travel about 45 to 50 kms per day.

Reason Why I’m looking for a change:-
a. I’m currently using both the car and bike alternately (mostly bike) to commute; but considering the safety and health aspects using car everyday makes more sense.
b. Operating cost (I may save about Rs 3000 per month when compared to petrol even if the mileage is considered same as petrol)
c. Re-sale value of petrol vehicle will be much lower than diesel vehicle in the future.
d. I might need a slightly spacious car in the near future.

My questions are:-
a. Should I go for a change and buy a new diesel vehicle now or will sticking on to my Ritz Vxi make sense for more than a year?
b. What are the cars that you would recommend?

Below listed are some of the cars I have test driven. However, I’m completely open to suggestions:-

Toyota Etios Liva:-

I tried Liva a week ago. I went to Toyota considering its brand value. I liked the looks and interiors. But the TD vehicle had very slow pick up and it took some effort to get it to really moving. Though I’m not a fast driver, slow pick up has its effects in bumper to bumper traffic. The SE told me that all diesel vehicles have a Turbo Lag and hence the low pick up. However, she also mentioned that pick up is not something that Toyota Liva and Etios are good at. I liked the steering response and the turning radius of the car. Spacing was good, mileage seems to be good and as expected the staffs were very courteous and prompt.

Price :- 7 lac 18 thousand
Discount offered:- 5000 (worth free accessories) + 10000 exchange bonus

Tata Indica Vista Vx:-

On my way back home, I saw a Tata showroom and though my wife was against Indica (cab image) we stepped in. Vista vx was the model shown to us; it was spacious and loaded with features. I still had my doubts about its on road performance considering the fact that I just drove a Toyota car. To my surprise, the car was more responsive that Liva. I’m not sure about the suspension since I couldn’t drive it for more than 5 kms. The Ac was good. I didn’t like the quality of the music system in the car (maybe I’m accustomed to my Ritz’s Blaupunkt system).

Price: - 7 lac 11 thousand
Discount offered: - 20000(discount) + 25000(exchange bonus)

Maruti Suzuki Ritz Vdi:-

Though I love Ritz I couldn’t stand the offer that the Maruti Suzuki people made for my petrol car. By far it was the lowest in comparison to Toyota and Tata offers. Plus they didn’t have any discounts for diesel vehicles (only a 10000 rs exchange bonus)
Price: - 7 lac 38 thousand
Discount: - 10000 (exchange bonus)

Cars I haven’t yet checked Polo, Beat, Micra (not sure whether they have a diesel vehicle). I had also thought about Mahindra Verito, but have no idea about its performance, price and reviews.

Sorry for the long explanation, just trying to remove any ambiguity and help the experts understand my scenario better.

Awaiting your suggestions

Thanks and regards,
Man - U

350Z

Core Team
Should I go for a change and buy a new diesel vehicle now or will sticking on to my Ritz Vxi make sense for more than a year?
Welcome to The Automotive India. You could also consider Ford Figo Facelift and Chevrolet Sail. Both the models are launching in this festive season and are worth checking out. On a different note, if there is no immediate requirement to purchase a new car and the issue is more or less about the rising fuel expenses - How about considering installing an alternative fuel option on the existing car itself (CNG / LPG)?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Man-U Welcome to TAI !!

After reading your post, it is quite confusing to me [confused] as

Is because of fuel price rise made you to think of selling present car? or any other reason

You have said that in one of the sentence that you are looking for more spacious car, do you feel Ritz is not upto your requirements of space and comfort

The prices mentioned by you of various cars looks to me bit higher, it that because of life tax in your state. Example : Vista VX cost Rs.6.48 lakhs on road after discounts

You Vista review is bit unclear

What is your view on Ritz VDI ??

You are saying you are also thinking about Verito, so do you look for a hatch or sedan

So, to me your requirements are very unclear. If you can clearly post your requirements then, it becomes easy for us to suggest a suitable car[:)]

Thread Starter #5

Welcome to The Automotive India. You could also consider Ford Figo Facelift and Chevrolet Sail. Both the models are launching in this festive season and are worth checking out. On a different note, if there is no immediate requirement to purchase a new car and the issue is more or less about the rising fuel expenses - How about considering installing an alternative fuel option on the existing car itself (CNG / LPG)?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hi All,

Thank you for your responses.

@ 350Z - Thank you for guiding me about the two new cars. Just checked online to see the pictures of Figo Facelift and Chevrolet Sail.

Figo Facelift:- I really couldn't find the 'Facelift' in the new figo. Just seemed similar to the old one to my novice eyes.

Chevrolet Sail:- This was a good car to see online. I will surely check with the chevrolet showroom tomorrow about the price, booking, features etc.

Meanwhile, I did think about installing alternative fuel. However, I would rather prefer letting the engine and fuel systems be the way the company guys designed it. [thinking]

@ Chayan - I went through your thread, very interesting & helpful [:)]. Thank you for saving me a trip to the Nissan showroom (I wouldn't buy a car without ABS and EBD). Chevrolet Beat is just too small for my needs ( I'm 6 foot 2 inches).

As of now, I'm leaning towards Vista since I couldn't find a bad review about the new Indica Vista vx. The guy at Aadya showroom seems to be good for a change and has been very prompt (not as prompt as the Toyota people) in following up with me and sending me the details I asked for.

But still the best of all were the Maruti guys. They didn't even bother calling me or checking whether I'm still looking for a car [clap]. Guess they have a policy of not selling more than 2 cars to an individual (my first car was an Alto and now Ritz).

Regards,
Man-U

@ Man-U: I have done a few more TDs, but not updated the thread as more busy in selling my current car. Anyway kindly TDs all the cars in your range before deciding.
Chevy Beat might seem small however tall boy design makes sure tall people are comfortable. Hence do not leave that out from your TD list.
If you want a driver's car, suggest you take a look at the Punto followed by the Figo. Since the new Figo facelift will be out on 15th Oct; I guess the old model can be got at a discount.
So check out the market. There will be quite a few offers from now till December.

Hey mate, if i were you and if i had been in the current situation, i would stick with my Ritz petrol as it just adds more burden to my existing finance (in case if finance is a constrain) and to add more the market price which they might offer for my Petrol ritz would be very less

Imagine i had purchased this Ritz 3 years back for approx 5.5L and if i am selling it for 2.5L now, i would just think if i had really used the car for 3L because its really less money that i would currently get for the car, in case if i sell it now and by no chance adds any sense and if so i sell it and buy another car i would have to fund about 5L again and that is something i would calculate in a way, that i already loose 3L for my less used car and spend 5L more for a car which i might use for the next 4 years

What i would do is, i would save the money (money not spent is money you save indirectly) and might be after the next 2 years sell the car for some where close to 2L at that point i would be more satisfied that i used the car for the money with at-least 90K on the ODO and go for a premium sedan ( which means by taking this decision i would have saved 5+3 which equals to 8 L ) just because i pushed my car purchase for the next 2-3 years

This is just my piece of advise, as you also has a option of retaining your car i had to tell this because you save more money by taking this decision and would happily rejoice later

Last edited:
Man-u, Welcome to TAI.
I think CNG option is available in Bangalore rite? Swift&furious has made a very valid point. In current market price you will not get good price for your Ritz vxi. However if you install cng kit, it will fetch you more resale value even after excessive usge for sure.
Instead of adding 3-4 lacks for new diesel hatchbak I would suggest you to add 30-50 thousand and get cng kit fitted from authorized delear, I think Maruti dealers also do that without voiding warranty, just inquire with MASS.
PS: I am assuming that CNG outlets are avble in bglore.

Out of the selections you have made Vista is well rounded car, you go through Appu's thread to learn more about living with Vista

Top Bottom