My Very Own Premier 118NE: Modifications & Upgrades

Thread Starter #16
Airfilter Adaptor & Cam position sensor

Hi all,
Attached some pictures of how the 118NE airfiltr will be mounted on top of the Hyundai Santro Throttle body, and the adaptation made on the distributor shaft to install the 36-2 wheel in place of the distributor cam.
The weights were removed from the distributor and the top shaft was CO2 welded. An aluminium spacer was fabricated to accomodate the toothed wheel over the shaft.
-Ilango

Attachments

Thread Starter #17
The trigger wheel

After tackling the odds, I found some time for the trigger wheel. I wanted to start with the Ignition setup and run the car for a while and fine tune the ignition maps with the carburetor setup.
Initially I had the idea of installing the wheel in place of the distributor itself. But later I thought of leaving the distributor in place so that it can save me till I again confidence with this upgrade. The attached picture shows the shape and dimensions of the trigger wheel which will find place behind the crank pulley (not an easy job though - the gap between the timing chain cover and pulley is too less. Hope to receive the laser-cut pulley by today or tomorrow.
Regards,
Ilango

Attachments

Thread Starter #18
Re: Megasquirting The 118NE

Attached some pictures of the Laser-cut wheel.
A reference from this site Tech Wiki - EDIS : Datsun 1200 Club says that is it difficult to install the Ford wheel (9 mm thick) behind the Nissan crank pulley. Mine is 6mm thick. Not sure if it would need some machining to install it behind or the last option is to install it in front of the crank pulley. Will be going to my mechanic to understand the fitment options. But I am worried with option 2 as the sensor needs to placed with a long cantilever extending from the crankcase, which may or may not induce some noise in the generated signal.

Regards,
Ilango

Attachments

Finally I could see a update ! So is the car running since you have removed the carb and distributor ?

Thread Starter #20

:) The car is still running with distributor & carb as of now. Will go to my mechanic on Sunday for the pulley fitment trial.

Thread Starter #22
Crank wheel installed

After a long pause, finally found time to get the 36-1 crankwheel installed in the car. The space behind the pulley was extremely cramped. With the crank wheel there is only just enough space for wheel to clear away from the engine block. The mechanic had to remove the radiator and the fan for removing the old pulley. Got to figure out how to fit the crank position sensor. Please see attached picture.

Attachments

Thread Starter #24

you can fabricate a small bracket to fit crankshaft sensor just below the pulley
Yes, I thought about this orientation. But the position is too low that I fear the sensor could get damaged with dust and pebbles thrown from vehicles going ahead of me. That's why looking for a means to mount it from the top side where the sensor sits safe.

After seeing you post I have joined this form and started following you thread. I would like to meet you in person one day with my 118ne [:D]
Nice work keep it up.

Thread Starter #27

After seeing you post I have joined this form and started following you thread. I would like to meet you in person one day with my 118ne [:D]
Nice work keep it up.
Hi Samuel, Glad to know that you own a 118NE. Sure, most welcome. You will enjoy every kilometer of the 1200km between you an me in your 118NE. Plan a trip soon.
Please do share a few pics and details of your 118NE. Or lets start a thread for identification, maintenance & restoration of Premier Padmini and 118NE cars, in this forum. :-)

Thread Starter #28
Paintjob & budget resto

Dear all,
After multiple attempts to strike a good deal balancing cost & workmanship for a paint job on my 19.5 year old 118NE. Finally managed time & funds to get my car painted. The garage was recommended by a colleague who got his car done up at the same place. After spending 2 months on assimilating replaceable parts like the lamps, beadings, carpets etc. took the plunge. Left the car with workshop manager on 30th Jan 2015 after filling in the job card. Apart from the paint job, I had included a few mechanical jobs also. Fast Forwarding 40 days, the car is back home at my parking. While the car was in the shop, I had included a fuel return line which would be useful for the mpfi system.

Attachments

Sir,
Car looks awesome. Why the underbody is not cleaned?if rear axle and balance rod things etc are painted in black, it will look even better. But ofcourse no body gets to see them.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30

Sir,
Car looks awesome. Why the underbody is not cleaned?if rear axle and balance rod things etc are painted in black, it will look even better. But ofcourse no body gets to see them.
Thanks SS80. The underbody was pressure washed and dried before spraying the underbody seal. You are right. Will get them sprayed black while I visit the garage again. It was 40 days since I left the car in the workshop & I was desperate to bail out the car that day due to some urgent need. There are still a few pending bits which shall be attended to, in due course of time.

Top Bottom