My Trip To Waynad

Thread Starter #16
The diversion for Soochipara falls is about 4 kms from Kalpetta, towards Vythri. Yet another picturesque drive. Every inch of land is lush green. We stopped for a few snaps. Soon it started raining. We resumed our journey. After about 5 kms, saw an accident. A Eicher mini truck has rammed a Swift. Damage to the car was considerable. Luckily no one was hurt. I forgot to mention, in Kerala too, the local truck and state transport buses are driven by maniacs. Looking at the accident, I became more cautious. Here after some time, my GPS started behaving erratic. But I was following a KA-05 Tempo Traveller. And I was sure, its going to same place. I was right. We reached the place. One good thing is that, all these spots have good parking arrangement. We bought the tickets. To our surprise, we came to know that the fall is 1 km from the place, and we nned to walk. [:(] We started to walk. Suddenly we saw a crowd gathered near a tree. We went there, and found out that there's a green tree snake on that tree. Every one was trying to take a pic, but snakes camoflouge was so good, we had a hard time locating it in the viewfinder. I somehow managed to click its body. Shy snake!! We continued our padyatra, downhill. I was wondering, What will happen while coming up!!! As I saw the faces of people coming back. The fall was in full vigour. And we had to be careful out there. Some people were taking a dip. But we just spent some time there and returned. And getting back up was so tyring. I remember climbing up to Parasnath hill long time back (Though it is nothing compared to Parasnath hill, I was much younger at that time.)
Reached the top after taking few breaks. Now drove back to Kalpetta, as wife had to do some shopping [:)]
It was getting late now. And after done with shopping, we drove back to the resort. Again, before getting on the much said track before resort, I asked my wife to take a video. I drove here with headlights on. At places its scary because, the mud is loose, and you get a feeling of it shifting, when car moves over it. I hope the people do something about it soon. Anyways, more pics are waiting to be shared.

Attachments

Thread Starter #17
This is the second video of same stretch, but this time, up towards the resort. This might seem to be boring, but I enjoyed it completely. I forgot to switch off the music system. [:)]
Headlights were good enough after recent adjustment.
MVI 0593 - YouTube

Thread Starter #19
That was end of the day. We had a yummy dinner at the resort. Did a bit of packing. Next day was last day at the resort. Next morning went for breakfast at the resort restaurant. After that cleared the bills. Then we bid the resort and its really nice team good bye. They were really nice to us during our stay. On our way back, we went to a church. After that, while driving back, I saw poolkote lake 12 kms ahead. I thought lets go there. So slight change in plan, and we headed towards Poolkotte lake. Again, time to get lost. I was driving on, and on, and no sign of lake. I asked a passerby, and he said 2km more. Again after about 2kms, I asked a person, who said 2 km more!!! Ginally reached. Yet another beautiful place. I wanted to do an oarboat myself, but all were hired. So did quick elephant ride, and back on highway.

Attachments

Thread Starter #20
Its already 1330 hrs and we are going to get late. We started from poolkote lake and stopped at a dhaba after Sultan bathery. It was a Kerala dhaba. They offered only Kerala lunch. Though not used to this food, we liked it. Crossed the tiger reserve soon. Couldn't see any tiger. Monkey were in abundance.
Traffic started to build up after Mysore. Here I came across a Nano, driven by some idiot. Manoeuverability doesn't mean just getting in way of any vehicle. He really pissed me off. But being smaller, it had its own advantage. It took me about 5 kms to Zip past him. Mysore Bangalore highway is really a pain to drive. Anyways, I safely made to my home by 2030 hrs.
All in all, a great weekend. And I had a glimpse of God's own country. I would love to be there again.

Attachments

Wow.... it was nice reading the whole thread. A great travelogue i would say. What about the mileage? how much you managed to get? [:)]

That was a nice little travelogue. Enjoyed reading the narration and the pics were amazing. Have never been to Wayanad, it is on my wishlist though. Thanks for sharing mate. Driving against rain in such a place like waynad its amazing.

Thread Starter #24
Thanks Marun, Rajvel and Manjoo.
From Bangalore to Sultan Bathery, I got 19.5. This gradually came down to 15.9 while travelling in and around Waynad. And the mileage increased a bit after completion of trip. Overall, I achieved 17.2 kmpl. The car is soon getting due for an oil change. Half of the journey was done with ac on, more or less.

Thread Starter #28
No. I used Canon PS 150IS. Till now I was using Sony Cybershot DSCP42 from Japan when compact digital still cameras were entering Indian market, and 64 MB memory stick [:)] (64 MB was a lot at that time. I later upgraded to 1 GB.
The camera has been serving well. But I was looking for an excuse to buy a new one. And few days back I bought one. Not very expensive, but serves the purpose well. I do wish to buy a high end camera with lots of manual adjustments.

One thing I noted in Waynad. Whichever restaurant/ dhaba I went, they served some red colored warm drink instead of water. They said its herbal water. Any specific reason for this? Guys from Kerala, kindly let us know..
At first sight I thought people drinking beer [surprise]. Things were clear when my family too was served the same thing.

Last edited:
Dude, That was a real awesome writing on the your experience. You got a writing style man.

The text and pics have really took me at the way to Wayanad [;)]

That was a really bad roads out there and I can feel how you would have felt on those bumps and humps with your car on

Also would you mind posting few of some interior pics of the resort, if you have taken any??

Yet to view your videos [glasses]

Thread Starter #30
I have taken few pics. Lets see if they help you. A short review of the resort:
Pros
  • Picturesque
  • Clean
  • Spacious cottages
  • Excellent hospitality extended by staff
  • Near to Banasura dam
  • Isolated and tranquil location

Cons
  • Atleast 3-4 kms from nearest market (say shops)
  • Approach road is in bad condition
  • New resort. Intercom facility yet to be operational

I would recommend the place to all. More details at Sharoy Resort - The Best Resort in Wayanad

Though I didnt take much pictures of interiors, I am putting few, which I took.

Attachments

Top Bottom