My Trip To Waynad

One thing I noted in Waynad. Whichever restaurant/ dhaba I went, they served some red colored warm drink instead of water. They said its herbal water. Any specific reason for this? Guys from Kerala, kindly let us know..
At first sight I thought people drinking beer [surprise]. Things were clear when my family too was served the same thing.
That probably is the Jeera (Cummin seeds) water which is served warm. It is more dark yellowish in color. It is common in Kerala, not only in the hotels but also in houses. One of the properties of cummin seed is aiding digestion.

Its not Jeera.

Jeera (cummin seed) water is light yellow colour.

Red or light pink coloured water is a herbal powder.

In homes they use dried ginger also.

Water is boiled with either Cummins or dried ginger or a herbal powder. Then it is cooled and kept for drinking through out the day.

One thing I noted in Waynad. Whichever restaurant/ dhaba I went, they served some red colored warm drink instead of water. They said its herbal water. Any specific reason for this? Guys from Kerala, kindly let us know..
At first sight I thought people drinking beer [surprise]. Things were clear when my family too was served the same thing.
Jeera/ dried ginger, I am aware. Herbal powder is new to me.
This herbal powder is called Dahashamani.

It is a mix of herbs and these herbs have anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti inflammatory properties and can actually protect against water borne dieseases.

Ingradients may vary some time but the main ones are Karingali (acacia catechu), Pathimukham (Sapanwood) etc.

Karingali is used to treat soar throat and diarrhea.

Pathimukham is Diuretic, anti-oxidative, thirst quenching, anti-bacterial and has tonic properties.
It is also blood purifying and is a good drink for persons with diabetes.
It cures jaundice, cough, respiratory problems, etc.

It also produces a valued type of reddish dye called brazilin, used for dyeing fabric as well as making red paints and inks

Last edited:
OT.
Good info. I spend my childhood days in Cochin, so I was aware of the Jeera and dried ginger water. But I do not remember having this herbal water those days.

Thread Starter #37
Thanks Prem. I am going to travel a lot this month (not in my car). Wait for more travelogues with pics.

Top Bottom